505 Viscous coupling fan
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Icon7 505 Viscous coupling fan

As some may know, the cost of a replacement viscous coupling hub for the 505 STI / GTI radiator fan is mind-blowing. It seems no change from $600 is to be expected.

Advertisement

Has anybody found a cheaper non-genuine source?

Otherwise, the alternative seems to be to replace the unit with a large thermatic fan, powered via the radiator thermo-switch and a relay. Anybody running this set-up, and if so, what efficiency are you getting in summer in regard to keeping normal engine temperatures?

Cheers,
    Kim.

Check out this thread and your question should be answered

505 Viscous Fan

Jarrod

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Hi Jarrod,

Many thanks for the thread lead.

Seems to be equally divided opinions between using a second hand or Volvo type, or replacing with a thermatic fan.

A bit more research needed I think.

Cheers,
    Kim.

Default Thermo Fan

Quote Originally Posted by KIMDEB
    Hi Jarrod,

Many thanks for the thread lead.

Seems to be equally divided opinions between using a second hand or Volvo type, or replacing with a thermatic fan.

A bit more research needed I think.

Cheers,
    Kim.
    Hi Kim,

Suggest you don't buy from Davies Craig thru a retailer.

Suggest you go a wreckers and find a Holden or Falcon 6 cyl or V8 fan - cheaper initially and cheaper to replace.

The 505 have some nice lugs on the radiator which allow brackets to made up easily. On my 404 I put the fan on the engine bay side of the 505 radiator which meant that fan had to draw air thru it mounting side.

When you choose a fan remember it is you need to make sure you can mount fan drawing air - you can't simply reverse the direction of the fan.
    Burt sometimes you can reverse the blades and acheive the same result.

You will need a relay with the coil controlled by the the pug thermo switch -bear in mind these fans draw quite a few amp (somtimes 20 or more) so 8mm
    square cable and direct runs to the battery/solenoid are in order.

regards Rob

As some may know, the cost of a replacement viscous coupling hub for the 505 STI / GTI radiator fan is mind-blowing. It seems no change from $600 is to be expected.

Has anybody found a cheaper non-genuine source?

Otherwise, the alternative seems to be to replace the unit with a large thermatic fan, powered via the radiator thermo-switch and a relay. Anybody running this set-up, and if so, what efficiency are you getting in summer in regard to keeping normal engine temperatures?

Cheers,
    Kim.
    Kim
    1/ These viscous fan hubs can be fixed cheaply see:

http://www.landsharkoz.com/tt/ttvfc.htm

2/ But if you want an electric replacement check out the SAAB 900 set up at a wreckers (Saab parts incl. fans should be dirt cheap) Saab 900 has 2 side by side - for normal & aircond, plus a radiator temp switch, plus a relay set-up (labeled in the fuse box).
    So many projects - so little time.

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Thanks 604 & Rob,

Am currently investigating those options. Meanwhile, have just had the alternator fail on the GTI, so am attending to that before I go further. Its the first time for this fault, so cannot complain.

Regards,

Kim.

Default Alternators

Thanks 604 & Rob,

Am currently investigating those options. Meanwhile, have just had the alternator fail on the GTI, so am attending to that before I go further. Its the first time for this fault, so cannot complain.

Regards,

Kim.

Kim,

As you have rear Iam an advocate of dispensing with any French electrical item.

I have posted quite a few threads about modifying Holden/ Falcon. Mitsubishi alternator which are very cheap and easy to get - also cheap parts.

I offer this for your consideration instead of perserving with a Ducellier or Paris Rhone which are shite.

regards

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robmac
    Kim,

As you have rear Iam an advocate of dispensing with any French electrical item.

have posted quite a few threads about modifying Holden/ Falcon. Mitsubishi alternator which are very cheap and easy to get - also cheap parts.

I offer this for your consideration instead of perserving with a Ducellier or Paris Rhone which are shite.
    Rob
    Yes - I agree STI alternators were crap from day 1 !
    They had a faulty ???? which meant that they didnt charge properly
    So many projects - so little time.

Thread Information