406 nearly perfect
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon5 406 nearly perfect

Took a 1996 406 2L manual for a test drive today which I may buy. Great car overall except for two things. 1) The clutch was very heavy and sticky on release. 2) Gear lever stiff and unsure. Can anyone advise if this is typical of this model and if so can they be remedied. It does not make around town driving very pleasurable.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Default 406

The 1996 406 has a clutch cable and that is typical of one needing replaced.

My 1997 had it replaced by dealer when I bought it nearly two yrs ago and it is still going well.

My gears are light and easy to change so cant comment on why this one is not.

They are a fantastic car and we have had a great run with it, extremly smooth, quiet comfortable and very good on fuel. I won they PCCWA economy run with it beating 206 and 306 models. This year my 206 GTi came second.

We find the 406 is deceptivly quick and handles extremly well. So far it has cost me a service and a set of wiper blades in 27,000 kms

Graelin

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

I hope to have a 406 on a shopping list one day.

Sorry I cannot comment about the clutch / gear-lever characteristics, but I am sure someone on this thread will be able to advise.

I believe the 406 still retains its position at the top of the list for vehicles which maintain a higher than average re-sale value.

Good luck,

Kim.

1000+ Posts

Possibly the recalcitrant gear change may be linked to the clutch not releasing fully - could be OK with a clutch cable or new clutch?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Tadpole

Default 406- nearly perfect

Quote Originally Posted by Graelin
    The 1996 406 has a clutch cable and that is typical of one needing replaced.

My 1997 had it replaced by dealer when I bought it nearly two yrs ago and it is still going well.

My gears are light and easy to change so cant comment on why this one is not.

They are a fantastic car and we have had a great run with it, extremly smooth, quiet comfortable and very good on fuel. I won they PCCWA economy run with it beating 206 and 306 models. This year my 206 GTi came second.

We find the 406 is deceptivly quick and handles extremly well. So far it has cost me a service and a set of wiper blades in 27,000 kms

Graelin
    Thanks Graelin - will get the dealer to replace it.

Thread Information