rust
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: rust

Icon5 rust

a few months ago i sanded and sprayed with rust kill all the little rust spots on my project car. (bottom of the dores and a bit on the flor.) but now it has sat for so long that it has all gone rusty lookin again. it has gone matt rather than the shinny rust look it is ment to have when using the rust killer. does this meen get out the grinder and start again (with a sanding disc of course)? or do you just paint over this as you would if it had just been sitting fr a few days?

Advertisement
    French - 92 205mi16, 87 205gti and spares
    Other - Amarok V6, Iveco Daily 50C17, Isuzu 600

use fish oil to stop it goin any further.you also need to get rid of ALL the rust around the area .
    i think they sell fish oil at autobarn or supercheap.-BAZZ

Or is the problem that the Killrust isn't waterproof and it needs a finish coat over it?

I suspect that would be the case...

Default Rust

Quote Originally Posted by amcc
    a few months ago i sanded and sprayed with rust kill all the little rust spots on my project car. (bottom of the dores and a bit on the flor.) but now it has sat for so long that it has all gone rusty lookin again. it has gone matt rather than the shinny rust look it is ment to have when using the rust killer. does this meen get out the grinder and start again (with a sanding disc of course)? or do you just paint over this as you would if it had just been sitting fr a few days?

Go to a panel beaters supplies and by some de-ox-it . 5 liters is about $40.00

This stuff is magic and converts rust to a ferric phospate or a phosphate complex.

It also leaves a coating which stops rust happening again for a few months -great for project in progress.

For very rusty stuff soak in it and the big scales fall off when scraped, after a few applications it come back to solid metal.

Fish oil is permanent solution once it is all fixed up and the initial repairs are finished

regards

Rob

dkw
    Tadpole

Default fish oil

Fish oil is great stuff - I patched up the door sills in my car 15 years ago and painted it all with fish oil. Even now there's still no sign of rust, and the car's been kept mostly on the street.

cheers,

Dave

I get my tins of fishoil and degreaser @ $2 shops.
    I live on the waterfront, and the fishoill will stop untreated metal from rusting for 4-5 month

1000+ Posts

Default Anti rust

I use a product called Fertan its base is the tannin from tea tree I believe, it is applied wet and will wick itself into seams and kill any rust and dries to a purplish black colour.

The advantage is that unlike phosphoric acid it can be worked and welded without dangerous fumes, however any moisture in the air will mix with the tannin, so it is adviseable to paint with a light undercoat once it is dry.

The earlier FERTAN was a much stronger quality (thicker) than the last lot I bought and is probably more expensive than it should be given the nature of the base product and on the label they no longer mention that it comes from tea tree extract, but it does work well.

Ken

Again, with a view to waterproofing, undercoats or primers aren't usually waterproof... you need a top coat.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hi Guys,

fluid film is apparantly best (I think it's the same as lanoguard out here). It seems to win all the 'anti-rust' tests I've seen.

They are both lanolin based oils that never dry out. Apparantly you can just about use it for anything ....

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    I get my tins of fishoil and degreaser @ $2 shops.
    I live on the waterfront, and the fishoill will stop untreated metal from rusting for 4-5 month

Please excuse my ignorance, but I've heard "fish oil" mentioned a few times on AF. What is it, and what is it's "trade name"? Obviously I'm in England,and I've never heard of it, but it certainly sounds useful stuff.

Mike

It's not a trade name... it's just fish oil!

We buy it from all manner of places... hardware stores, paint shops and spare parts emporiums. Not to mention what jo terms '$2 shops'... junk shops, stores that sell cheap imported goods of all kinds.

There are many types, however. One good one sets and can be painted over, others come in aerosol cans or just in small paint cans.

Ray,

Is that the same as our WD40?

Thanks, Mike.

Thread Information