springs for my 205
  • Register
  • Help

Default springs for my 205

i am building up a 205gti to be used as a road/minor motorsport car and i am wondering what is my best option when it comes to springs. it will have koni yellows at all 4 corners (once i get them rebuilt) and i was wondering what springs to use. ie how low??? i want to be able to do the occational gravel event so i dont want no gravel rash on her belly! i was thinking 30mm lower than stock. also needs to be nice and stiff for the tarmac. should i b gooing for a set with progressive sprin rate??? finally where do i go to get them in melb/gelong?

Advertisement
    French - 92 205mi16, 87 205gti and spares
    Other - Amarok V6, Iveco Daily 50C17, Isuzu 600

I've got some low mileage Yellow Konis, complete with lowered Jamex springs, if you're interested.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by amcc
    what springs to use. ie how low??? i want to be able to do the occational gravel event so i dont want no gravel rash on her belly! i was thinking 30mm lower than stock.
    As a guide dont go beyond the optimal point when lowering your car. Your arms should be at maximum extension when the car is fully loaded. For most that means control arm at parallel or just short of being parallel to the road.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Originally posted by PeterT
    I've got some low mileage Yellow Konis, complete with lowered Jamex springs, if you're interested.
    I thought those Konis were sold?

i am building up a 205gti to be used as a road/minor motorsport car and i am wondering what is my best option when it comes to springs. it will have koni yellows at all 4 corners (once i get them rebuilt) and i was wondering what springs to use. ie how low??? i want to be able to do the occational gravel event so i dont want no gravel rash on her belly! i was thinking 30mm lower than stock. also needs to be nice and stiff for the tarmac. should i b gooing for a set with progressive sprin rate??? finally where do i go to get them in melb/gelong?

well there is always the eibach road,they have different height settings and are stiff.
    i ,on the otherhand prefer the ride of the pug springs.i have a second set of springs that will get reset about 30-40 ml's lower and will put them on.
    second hand springs from wrecker sell for about $77 each and its about 6$60-80 for reset.
    alot cheaper than $360 for the eibach's.
    ill post my results when i can afford to do it all.-BAZZ

my problem is i got lots of option an need to decide what i want. thought i would get some new springs to go with the koni yellows that i already have. the just need a rebuild. i also have the option of the standard springs and shocks or i have a set of spare springs that could go on with the koni yellows or i could take the blinsteins (spelling) of my current road car and put them on. i got 3 complete ses of suspension but they all have standard springs i i want stiff and probably 30mm and no more than 35mm lower than std. now that i think about it a bit i will probably just put the standard ones on to save some money in getting the car on the road and then decide what to do once i can drive the thing.

btw i am only interested in the performance of the set up. no point in going too low. and no point in having too much rol in the corners either. if the only reson it is there is to keep your bum happy

A couple of questions...

Why do your Konis need rebuilding?

And were they good with the original springs before?

VIP Sponsor

my problem is i got lots of option an need to decide what i want. thought i would get some new springs to go with the koni yellows that i already have. the just need a rebuild. i also have the option of the standard springs and shocks or i have a set of spare springs that could go on with the koni yellows or i could take the blinsteins (spelling) of my current road car and put them on. i got 3 complete ses of suspension but they all have standard springs i i want stiff and probably 30mm and no more than 35mm lower than std. now that i think about it a bit i will probably just put the standard ones on to save some money in getting the car on the road and then decide what to do once i can drive the thing.
    Just leave it standard I think you'll find this ideal for what you want. If the car is set up too stiff it won't grip on anything but dry bitumen.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    Just leave it standard I think you'll find this ideal for what you want. If the car is set up too stiff it won't grip on anything but dry bitumen.
    Graham
    ditto.

leave the front alone. If you want flatter cornering car, stiffen up the rear NOT the front.

lots of rebound on front if you are rebuilding your shocks.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    I thought those Konis were sold?
    So did I,but I haven't seen the colour of the notes yet, so they're still here.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Hmmm... probably the only pair available in Australia at the moment... you'd think someone would snap them up!

Tadpole

i will buy the jamex lowered springs.......i will need some details obviously, and i also need a price on a set of koni yellows......new ones, i can't find your number ray, but if you could get back to me please with your number or my phone is 0409 789 069

Robert has rung me, new frog...

My advice is for you to buy Peter's fronts and then you'll only have a two-month wait for the rears.

My number's 0409 063 662, anyway.

Thread Information