r20 carb on fuego gtx
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default r20 carb on fuego gtx

Hi

Advertisement

I’m fed up with the Weber 32 dara carb. on my fuego, in idle the engine runs ok for the first few min. but then it starts acting up. The rpm drops down to 450 – 600 rpm. And sometimes it stalls.
    This is also noticeable when driving the car. I have been told that dirt in the jets could cause this behaviour so I tried to clean them. But the problem reappears.
    I read on this site that the carb could be replaced by the “simpler” r20 carb.
    Does anybody have exp with this conversion? Will the performance suffer?

Thorsten

Administrator

I don't think performance will suffer, but it sounds like you simply have an autochoke/adjustment issue in which case both can be fixed.

The carb's are basically the same design with the Fuego having a few more anti-pollution features.

The only issue I've ever had with the carb on mine has been the choke operation. To fix it once and for all I replaced the water-cooled autochoke on my car with a weber electric autochoke and this has been a godsend in regards to coldstart and idle up accuracy and as a bonus has tidied up the engine bay of a few coolant hoses...

With regards to the idle. It is very important to set the idle PROPERLY if you want any hope of smooth low engine speed response and good fuel economy. If you search this forum you should be able to find a step by step method on setting the idle mixture properly.

Provided both the solenoids work, all should be fine.

Tadpole

Sounds reasonable, but where did you get that electric autochoke?

Re solenoids: the solenoid is the little electric thingy (switch) on the side of the carb -Right?
    I only have one on my car -or am I missing something?

Thorsten

Mine has two solenoids. The one closest to the motor I think is to do with the air conditioning.. has you car got AC???
    Jo

The throttle shafts wear the body of the carb on Fuegos causing erratic idle, through air being sucked in there. Just try opening the throttle a little by hand and moving the shaft up and down. I expect it will move 1mm or more.

20s don't have as much problem with this as they have less junk hanging off the throttle shaft.

I have also seen the idle solenoid jet chewed up where it seats, causing bad idle. Easily fixed with a new jet.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Thorsten
    Sounds reasonable, but where did you get that electric autochoke?

Re solenoids: the solenoid is the little electric thingy (switch) on the side of the carb -Right?
    I only have one on my car -or am I missing something?

Thorsten
    The R20 carbie is a good swap. It has been done here in Qld by some Renault club guys, with no problems.
    On the electric auto choke, Weber sell them new. I couldn't tell you what cars in EUrope had them though, but in Australia Ford used this on several cars, in the early '80's.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

1000+ Posts

Default Check Europas' post Renault forum

Good idea for those interested in workingwith/fault finding on these carburettors to take up the temporary offer of weber manuals via the website link listed and posted by Europa yesterday on the Renault forum as part of a thread on Fuego fuel economy

Ken

the only problems I had was the emmision stuff not working. Rather then ditching it, I simply got it all working as it should (numerous thermovalves, vacuam lines etc etc) and hey presto, good idle and economy.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Thread Information