What brake fluid do you run?
  • Register
  • Help

Default What brake fluid do you run?

This question is to those who've tried aftermarket fluids and how those fluids perform.

Advertisement

I currently run Castrol Super response dot 4 and boiled it quite easily after a few (maybe 8?) full-force applications. I'm running equivalent of standard pads.

Fluids I'm considering upgrading to are: Motul RBF600, Neo super dot 610, EBC BF370+. Comments?

Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Paul has it listed as a DOT 4 no name on the invoice. I'm pretty sure it was Castrol... I never had a problem with it boiling though... bleeding the brakes often?
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

I run Castrol Super DOT4+ in the Pug and have never had a problem with it, provided it's been bleed properly before any track work. I did notice that having the combination of the EBC Greens and DBA Slotted rotors that the fluid would go off quicker requiring more bleeding.

Unless you want to spend much of your spare time working on the brakes, stay waway from DOT5 as it's synthetic nature doesn't allow it to absorb water causing water pockets which compress under even mild braking. If youy are going to try DOT5, give SRF a go, $100/litre but top stuff.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    .....doesn't allow it to absorb water causing water pockets which compress under even mild braking.....
    Are you sure about that, Brad? I thought no liquid was noticably compressible (except minutely, measured under lab conditions). It must be turning to steam, surely, if that's the case?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I'm pretty sure this is the case. This article below seems to have some good information. Seems DOT5 is not water soluable, so effectively it would seem it's not able to mix with or absorb water.

http://www.xs11.com/tips/maintenance/maint1.shtml
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

I'm currently running a Super DOT 4 (can't remember the brand though) and I have the Castrol Response waiting to go in at the next change. With the EBC brake pads and standard rotors I didnt notice any fade in a hard day at Mallala.

I'd suggest giving the brakes either a bleed and trying again or perhaps get them power bled by someone like PBR - Years ago I remember that PBR at Norwood were the only people who could get the brakes on my sister's mini working properly. *shudder* that car had the worst brakes I have ever experienced!
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

The brake fluid is only 6 months old. I'd heard the castrol super response was good, which is why I tried it.

Yeah castrol srf better be good at $100/litre! bit rich for my blood though.

Anyone tried any of the dot 5.1 fluids (completely different from the silicone dot 5) like the Motul 5.1 etc?

Yep water is virtually incompressible. But water into the system lowers the boiling point (hence the 'wet boiling point' figure manufacturers supply) and the brake fluid boils and the gas bubbles that form is compressible hence mushy pedal.

Maybe some moisture got into my fluid? Might get in touch with PBR, thanks. What's 'power bled' though?

Thanks all.

- 306 gti6

1000+ Posts

I got the Motul RBF600... its superb!!!
    spending 15min on Oran park & LOTS of heavy braking without the slightest fade! (using Ferodo DS2500 pads also)

Definetly recommended!

I would suggest that the brake fade has nothing to do with the fluid & everything to do with the standard pads. You’re doing well to get even 8 full force applications from them. Don't forget, standard pads are ony designed for stardard driving. Just a thought. -Will
    1990 205Gti
    1976 504 rally car (currently out of action)

Yeah that's why I've almost decided on getting the Ferodo DS2500 pads as well. They're not cheap at near $200 though. Just want to confirm a couple of things though. Nate, how are the brakes first thing on a cold day. Is it a pain in traffic?

I'm considering the EBCs also but they're almost the same price and I've heard they can vary a lot in quality between batches. Most people here who use them find them great. But some mixed reviews on performanceforums.com.au. Ferodos on the other hand are used a lot but not one bad review from my searches yet.

Nate, I've heard the Motul RBF600 can go off quickly and needs to be changed often?

- 306 gti6

Thread Information