Clutch thrust bearing 403/04
  • Register
  • Help

Default Clutch thrust bearing 403/04

Hey fella's, who of you have had experience with ball bearing clutch thrusters?

Advertisement

Having just replaced the 03's pressure plate with 04 pressure plate to match 04 fly wheel, I choose, from a selection of 4 thrust bearings, to use the ball bearing model, which I had not seen before. Guess what? the little sucker makes a noise like a lion imitating a motor or vise versa. I had though about bearing lube, but there was no way to apply any useful amount of grease and it does not have the tiny oil bath thingo I have seen many of the other variety. so what are the likely outcomes here?

1. It will quieten down, no worries.
    2. It will sieze and self distruct within 100 miles.
    3. It will go for ever - 1 day, and start making a really bad noise two days before it seizes.
    4. Magic Aussie Frogs remedy will solve problem in 3 minutes.
    5. Pull it out straight away and go for big graphite block style.
    6. Please add your useful tip here.

cheers ed ge

in anticipation

A ball bearing clutch thruster? I have no useful advice at all. But there must be plenty of scope for a dirty joke or seven. Or at least a double entendre or two.

T'is true, but as I'm the sap looking for help I thought I'd at least leave it to you guys this time.

ed ge

Somewhere in the $2 fixer's club there was a post a day or two (or four) ago about melting grease into one of these things to make it come good... melt grease in a tin on the stove, drop in the bearing, let nature do its job.

Default Clutch thrust bearing 403/04

Edge,
    I trust your selection of thrust bearings were straight off the dealers shelf and not out of that rusty Sunshine milk tin in your shed.*
    I'm not sure if this applies to Peugeot thrust bearings but there are different types for different diaphragm pressure plates. ie flat or round faced bearings.
    The 203 oiler tube wont be any good for a sealed thrust bearing.

I always liken second hand parts as being like a plate of pig's trotters at a bucks party. You never know how many times they've been around before you pick them up !!

course it's out of a bloody milk tin, ya recon repco gottem ta hand, cheeeeeeeeeeez wildy, pig trotters, how about som inyerendos!

e ge

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller
    course it's out of a bloody milk tin, ya recon repco gottem ta hand, cheeeeeeeeeeez wildy, pig trotters, how about som inyerendos!

e ge
    Don't forget you needed to pack out the carbon for the 404 clutch in the 403 bell housing combination. Don't know that this was possible with the ball bearing type.
    Graham

Default Packing the thruster

G'day Graham,

I initially started to work on the bearing that came with the plate, as it happens the bolt securing the flange broke and without on site options for repair I went with the next best option, bearing thruster.

Now that the dust has settled and with some thought, it seems that this packing of the bearing can only be effective at the end of its life when maximum reach is required, so i'm not likely to have problems with this straight away. And besides the noise everything seems to be operating fine.

So packing this flange, common saying says to put 2 exhaust gasket behind graphite block, not bad for an estimate, but could you be more precise, am I looking to pack this out 2, 3, 4, 5, 6mm or what?

cheers ed ge

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller
    G'day Graham,

I initially started to work on the bearing that came with the plate, as it happens the bolt securing the flange broke and without on site options for repair I went with the next best option, bearing thruster.

Now that the dust has settled and with some thought, it seems that this packing of the bearing can only be effective at the end of its life when maximum reach is required, so i'm not likely to have problems with this straight away. And besides the noise everything seems to be operating fine.

So packing this flange, common saying says to put 2 exhaust gasket behind graphite block, not bad for an estimate, but could you be more precise, am I looking to pack this out 2, 3, 4, 5, 6mm or what?

cheers ed ge

As much as you can get (without the carbon falling out) . When I had the fork modified I went for 4mm.
    Graham

Thread Information