Volvo 340 gearbox configuration
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole
    Christie Downs, South Australia, Australia

Icon4 Volvo 340 gearbox configuration

Need to know what gearbox configuration the late 70's volvo 300 series car had, with the Renault 1400! Was it Front or Rear wheel drive. If rear where can I get hold of a gearbox in Australia that'll bolt up behind a Normal 1397cc engine, if there's no other rear wheel drive gearboxes available for front engine setups!

Advertisement

Thanks
    ARO10

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Hi there,

I wish I could be specifice in regards to your question.

I can recollect the Volvo 340 quite well, and am almost sure that it was front wheel drive. However, you need to know for sure, of course.

A local Volvo service outlet would be able to advise, and perhaps also suggest a source for gearboxes etc.

Cheers,
    Kim.

Default Volvo 340 gearbox ?

Quote Originally Posted by ARO10
    Need to know what gearbox configuration the late 70's volvo 300 series car had, with the Renault 1400! Was it Front or Rear wheel drive. If rear where can I get hold of a gearbox in Australia that'll bolt up behind a Normal 1397cc engine, if there's no other rear wheel drive gearboxes available for front engine setups!

Thanks
    ARO10
    ARO10,
    The Volvo 340 series were rear drive. A 4 speed transaxle arrangement, that is the g/box and diff were combined. The clutch was up front with the Renault 1400cc engine. The drive going to the rear via a torque tube.

There was also a 340 series with belt drive. We won't even mention that

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    There was also a 340 series with belt drive. We won't even mention that
    Wasn't the 340 a Daf design (with Variomatic in this case), from when Volvo bought Daf? I thought it worked OK from what I'd read - obviously not!

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Volvo 340, has front engine rear drive as stated, witht the transaxle setup.
    Whcich Renault engine was this?? 1400cc=1397cc form the Virage? Did Volvo have a 16 valve set-up in these cars? I lookad at a couple of them late last year. 16v in a R12 1.4 would be interesting.
    Last edited by HONG KONG PUGGY; 20th February 2005 at 11:53 AM.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Default Volvo 340 etc.

Stuey'
    The Volvo 66, Renault 12 engine had the DAF Variomatic trans. The 340 with Renault 1400 engine could also be had with the Variomatic.
    They had a centrifugal clutch driving to a 2 v belt pulley, final drive was also a 2 pulley with split halves vacuum operated. The variable drive was achieved by the two halves of the pulleys opening and closing, the v belt rising and falling altering the gear ratio as required.

In the 2 years spent in the UK working on Volvos I was surprised how well they sold, either that or the salesmen were good! The engines were bullet proof of course being Ren 1200 / 1400 but when the transmissions were worn they drove like a fairground ride!

What also surprised me then , [early '80's] was that the Brits avoided auto trans and also fuel injection models. Most of the 240 series sold were fitted with SU or Stromberg carbs. I put this down to their bad experiences with Smiths Easi-Drives and Lucas fuel injected Triumphs. The Poms having long memories.

Sorry ARO10, what was your question?

Hong Kong Puggy. There weren't any 16 valve 1400's around in my time in the UK.
    Last edited by Wildebeest; 20th February 2005 at 03:29 AM. Reason: add text

Me thinks the cars I saw were 360's...have to learn read a little more intensly, or betterer

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

1000+ Posts

Stuey'
    The Volvo 66, Renault 12 engine had the DAF Variomatic trans. The 340 with Renault 1400 engine could also be had with the Variomatic.
    They had a centrifugal clutch driving to a 2 v belt pulley, final drive was also a 2 pulley with split halves vacuum operated. The variable drive was achieved by the two halves of the pulleys opening and closing, the v belt rising and falling altering the gear ratio as required.
    Ahh, yes. Wasn't the Volvo called the Volvo 66 for a very short time, then the 340? Memory is hazy when you don't actually see them on the streets but rely on magazines for the info!

I remember fiddling with a continuously variable ratio expanding gearset for my bike that I thought I'd invented when I was around 10yo and then reading about the Variomatic not long after. I was sure the Dutch had been over to downtown Wubin WA and stolen my idea.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    Me thinks the cars I saw were 360's...have to learn read a little more intensly, or betterer
    Quite possible - only the 360 GLT was officially imported to Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Ahh, yes. Wasn't the Volvo called the Volvo 66 for a very short time, then the 340? Memory is hazy when you don't actually see them on the streets but rely on magazines for the info!
    Different cars, the Volvo 66 was actually the DAF 66.

The 340 was a different car, albeit made by Volvo's Dutch arm.

Volvo 66.

Volvo 340.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I remember fiddling with a continuously variable ratio expanding gearset for my bike that I thought I'd invented when I was around 10yo and then reading about the Variomatic not long after. I was sure the Dutch had been over to downtown Wubin WA and stolen my idea.

Stuey
    Reading between the lines of Pug 307's post even the Swedes have disowned the them!!!

Stuey, I'll bet that when you were conjuring up your "Stuevario" for your bike that you got inspiration from a shearing shed's overhead gear?

One of the reasons for my leaving the UK was to get away from the Variomatics. A week back in Perth with Volvo I had a tap on the shoulder from the service manager. "I've got a job here I want you to look at, there's one of those lacky band 340's out here with a broken belt". I smugly told him there wouldn't be a replacement in Aus for that. "No worrys there Wildebeest old son, she brought spares with her from the Old Dart"

1000+ Posts

Thanks for setting me straight, Justin & Wildebeest!

There's definitely a seed there though - maybe I'm thinking that the 340 was a Daf design that hadn't yet been released when they were taken over? Can't remember. Might be well off track.

Ahh, the Stuevario...sounds like a violin! No, I can't say I've had a close look at shearing gear, although I've been in a shearing shed a few times. I was always dreaming up some useless design. That's what you do as a bored country kid with access to an unlimited toolbox (parents had a servo).

Edit: Yep, the 340 was a Daf design. See http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/prof_300.htm

Stuey
    Last edited by Stuey; 20th February 2005 at 06:07 PM.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Default Volvo & Stuevario.

Thanks for setting me straight, Justin & Wildebeest!

There's definitely a seed there though - maybe I'm thinking that the 340 was a Daf design that hadn't yet been released when they were taken over? Can't remember. Might be well off track.

Ahh, the Stuevario...sounds like a violin! No, I can't say I've had a close look at shearing gear, although I've been in a shearing shed a few times. I was always dreaming up some useless design. That's what you do as a bored country kid with access to an unlimited toolbox (parents had a servo).

Edit: Yep, the 340 was a Daf design. See http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/prof_300.htm

Stuey
    Stuey, the Daf's around 1960 had a single belt drive with a flat twin of 750cc. Not unlike a 2 CV, the engine that is.

Hey! us country kids [Boulder] were never bored. You should have seen the leading link, rubber suspended front fork I built for my bike?

Tadpole

Default Gearbox to bolt up behind the Renault 1400

Need a gearbox to boltup behind the Renault 1400 for a rear wheel drive setup!

1000+ Posts

Stuey, the Daf's around 1960 had a single belt drive with a flat twin of 750cc. Not unlike a 2 CV, the engine that is.

Hey! us country kids [Boulder] were never bored. You should have seen the leading link, rubber suspended front fork I built for my bike?
    Yeah? I had a fully suspended bike well before these trendy mountain bikes...

To be honest, I wasn't bored...at 10yo I had a gun, motorbike (believe it or not, a Harley) '52 Hillman Minx, use of a beach buggy (with hot Datsun 1200 and 13" wide Mickey Thomsons on the back -wheelstands, anyone?) etc. etc. Never bored. Mind you, a lot of things got shot at and blown up...

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Default Variomatic

Hi guys, the Vario must have been bad! Even the van Rooys (hope I spelled that right) used them in their BDA DAF rallycross cars with a squillion HP in the days before kilowatts, and were supersonic off the line, the cars were later banned.
    DAF 33 I think used the flat twin, the 44 used a Renault.
    This thread started with a question what gearbox for the rear wheel drive!!
    Seems like no one has a simple answer so some adapting will need to be done, maybe small Jappa, Datsun 1200?

Quote Originally Posted by ARO10
    Need a gearbox to boltup behind the Renault 1400 for a rear wheel drive setup!
    What sort of vehicle is this going in ARO10??
    May-be some injinuity is required, Renault fwd gearbox, R12 or R20 front set-up, (upper and lower A-arms etc) rear mounted and a driveshaft??...would work well in a motorkhana special, give excellent weight distribution

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    What sort of vehicle is this going in ARO10??
    Yes, that's the one.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Tadpole

Default Gearbox Configuration

The Car is an ARO 10.1 from Romania and it would be impossible for it to be converted to just FWD (not enough room)!

The Volvo 360 was basically a 340 with a 240 motor in it. The transaxle in a 340/360 is basically a manual 244 gearbox and diff crammed in one housing.
    they were on the drawing board before Volvo bought Daf.

I think the 55 was the first Daf to use Renault power.

As for the Aro, all I can think of is to find a small rwd box and get an adapter plate. You can find Toyota or NIssan gearboxes reasonably cheaply.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Thread Information