Koni or Bilstein?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Koni or Bilstein?

Hi everyone

I'm having a plan to replace my 307's stock shocks.
    Do you guys go for Koni or Bilstein for the replacement? They pretty much on the same price.
    Which one do you guys reckon is better?
    Thanks.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by mrhusada
    Hi everyone

Do you guys go for Koni or Bilstein for the replacement? They pretty much on the same price.
    Thanks.
    I know alot of guys here are running konis on their 205s (inc me). As for which is better? No idea, but i'm sure they're both good and if i were to make the choice, i'd probably go koni, but that's not from a performance perspective, it's just what i'm comfortable with. My friend had bilsteins shocks with eibach springs on his Skyline R33 and they were great! car felt firm without being teeth shattering.

Cheers

joey

Hi everyone

Thanks.
    Bad plan in my opinion, unless you were planning to turn it into a pure track car. Peugeot are one of the few manufacturers to make their own dampers, and they do a very good job at it. They are digressive dampers. Bilsteins are as well, but Konis, to my knowledge, aren't. Non-digressive damping is not required for the track, but digressive damping is better for the road, and isn't disadvantaged on the track either. See this article for details: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nigel.w...nsion_mods.htm
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

I agree with jastanis, the 307's have been built as a package and unless you are willing to spend alot of time and money on tuning not just the shocks but also the springs and roll bars to suit, it may be a compromise.

With regard to Koni or Bilstein, I have Bilsteins on my MX5, and although alot of people in the MX5 community say that they are too stiff, on good roads they are unbelievable in their rebound and wheel control ability. IMHO there is no comparison to the S16 suspension, they are THAT much better. Granted the S16 is a much more compliant ride but it still can not control the wheels over speed bumps or at lower speeds.

The other thing to consider is that good shocks will be wasted if your wheels are overly heavy. I'm not sure of the weight of the 307 wheels but the lighter the better.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

my 2 cents-
    i put new peugeot shocks[not oe but sachs replacement]in my 205 but ended up changing them for koni yellow adjustables about three monthes later.now i drive a 205 gti not a 305 si6 so im just telling it lik i know it.
    the sachs were a fine shoch and i wasnt unhappy with them so much but when i put the koni yellow adjustables in it totally transformed the car.i run them on the lowest setting with oe springs and although they are firm they also gave the car better take off and stopping and cornering due to the firmness.the only way to really tell is to try and get to drive your model car with the different shocks in them to see ,cause unfortunatly you cant try befor you buy with shockers ,more is the pitty.-BAZZ

I just got a set of Koni yellows but have not installed them yet so cant tell you what they are like.
    I have only heard great things about Bilstein i also had a friend with a R32 GTR with bilsteins and the was and handling was fantastic

Are you going to be running lowering or sport springs with the shocks?
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

Ohhhh i just realised that was you Edwin who made the post
    Have u got new wheels since the Racing Harts? Hows the car going anyway?
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by WRCPUG
    Ohhhh i just realised that was you Edwin who made the post
    Have u got new wheels since the Racing Harts? Hows the car going anyway?
    Hi Alex, how you doin?

Haven't got any new wheels, i'm going to replace the stock dampers for now.

The car going okay..changed the exhaust, lowering spring, not much though.

How is your car?

Take care

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Alex, how you doin?

Haven't got any new wheels, i'm going to replace the stock dampers for now.

The car going okay..changed the exhaust, lowering spring, not much though.

How is your car?

Take care
    How low? pics? haven't seen many lowered 307s

Konis are intended to give an improvement over the stock dampers... and Koni Sport (yellow) are intended to give a car a more sporting performance without getting too firm. At least in unadjusted form.

One of the good things about Koni is that they actually test the cars on which they are intended to be fitted, tuning the valving to suit the original springs. They go to a lot of trouble to get them right.

I doubt that you can get Bilsteins at a price similar to one at which I can supply the Konis.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsly
    How low? pics? haven't seen many lowered 307s
    Just approx 35 mm lowered using H&R springs.

Haven't got any pics yet..sorry

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Konis are intended to give an improvement over the stock dampers... and Koni Sport (yellow) are intended to give a car a more sporting performance without getting too firm. At least in unadjusted form.

One of the good things about Koni is that they actually test the cars on which they are intended to be fitted, tuning the valving to suit the original springs. They go to a lot of trouble to get them right.

I doubt that you can get Bilsteins at a price similar to one at which I can supply the Konis.
    I'm being quoted $1300 for Bilstein B8-Sprint, they have 2 models which are B6-Sport to replace original shocks without changing the springs and B8-Sprint to suit lowered cars.

As far i know, Koni only has 1 model which is Koni Sport Yellow and i'm being quoted $1250.

Should i go for Bilstein since i did lowered my car?

Not necessarily...

If you keep your bump rubbers in good shape, you won't have any problem other than a greater tendency to bottom onto them.

I always recommend to people that they retain the original springs and change the dampers. This is because that is the area in which there is most to be gained.

There are more compromises in lowered springs. Ride usually has to be harsher simply to avoid bottoming. Topping out is another issue, and even having the springs come loose under those circumstances is not unknown.

I don't have a definitive price on the fronts for the 307, but the rear list price (Sport models only available, you're right there) is $217 each. Fronts are probably about $370 each, maybe a little less... so that's about $1175 or so. With my discount that will come down to about $825 plus GST... $905 or thereabouts including delivery to you. The fronts are externally adjustable, by the way.

If you like I will confirm the prices and check availability on Tuesday.

Tadpole

Not necessarily...

If you keep your bump rubbers in good shape, you won't have any problem other than a greater tendency to bottom onto them.

I always recommend to people that they retain the original springs and change the dampers. This is because that is the area in which there is most to be gained.

There are more compromises in lowered springs. Ride usually has to be harsher simply to avoid bottoming. Topping out is another issue, and even having the springs come loose under those circumstances is not unknown.

I don't have a definitive price on the fronts for the 307, but the rear list price (Sport models only available, you're right there) is $217 each. Fronts are probably about $370 each, maybe a little less... so that's about $1175 or so. With my discount that will come down to about $825 plus GST... $905 or thereabouts including delivery to you. The fronts are externally adjustable, by the way.

If you like I will confirm the prices and check availability on Tuesday.
    Yes please, that would be very helpful if you'll confirm the prices and availability.

Not a problem... but I won't be online again until Tuesday...

If you want to contact me otherwise, please don't PM me... e.mail [email protected] or text 0429 000 241 or phone 0409 063 662

Not a problem... but I won't be online again until Tuesday...

If you want to contact me otherwise, please don't PM me... e.mail [email protected] or text 0429 000 241 or phone 0409 063 662
    That's a bloody good price. Ray, can you get these prices just for Pugs, or can you do it for other cars as well? A mate has a N15 SSS Pulsar and needs new shocks, what are available for these and what prices can you do? If you don't mind, I could put him straight onto you via email?

- 306 gti6

Yeah, get him to phone or e.mail me...

I can do it for any car, the more the merrier in fact. If he has Unisa struts on the front they can supply regular Konis (it seems that Sport ones aren't listed...).

Don't fret about giving anyone my e.mail... in fact I have another e.mail address... [email protected] for just this purpose. Or he can text or phone.

you're not kidding about getting cheap konis!

What are Unisa struts though? Would the regular konis be a definite improvement over the oem shocks?

- 306 gti6

Thread Information