Powerchips
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Powerchips

Default Powerchips

Hey everybody.

I recently looked into a Powerchip for my Pug GTi6.

and found this datasheet:

Pug Data Sheet

Advertisement

If what it says is true, then i am very impressed.

Just wondering if any of you have had any experiences with powerchips in your cars and how they worked out for you, and what you think of chip tuning?

my car is bog stock by the way.

1000+ Posts

absolute rubbish from what i've heard...

an RSC owner used one for a bit & it did nothing, he noticed no difference...
    took it back & got a refund... they still use him as advertising though?!?
    says a lot about the company!

Go to:
    http://www.ozrenaultsport.tk/

Look at "files" (you might have to sign up) & look at the power chip article...

The guy dddges all qestions... & can never honestly answer anything straight... comes across (IMHO) as a real bad politician!

Ants

looked at one for my 98 XSi, its not worth spending nearly 1k for 15kw of power.....thats just my though.

i can think of other things to spend 1k on with my car...or could just put it towards a new car

I had a grand spare a couple of years ago (just after I got my 206) and I was working out if I should fork it out on a chip. I had a good chat to the service guys at my dealer they said they had no problems with them as they have never seen one that does anything apart from make the car violate the emissions regulations.

They also added that when they upgraded the software in my car it would overwrite the powerchip program. I thought about the numerous trips backwards and forwards I'd have to make and figured it wouldnt be worth it.

I instead spent the money on a pair of these: http://www.vaf.com.au/catalog/products/dc7.htm
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Did it take you long to build them up (VAF)? I heard the performance is good for the price...so are they used in the back of your 206 in place of OEM speakers LOL
    2007 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 6sp manual

2001 VW Bora 4-Motion - flooded away
    1998 Peugeot 406 SV manual - Gone to Hail Heaven
    1994 Silver S16 - Gone
    1983 505 Sti - Gone to good home

Quote Originally Posted by Atan
    Did it take you long to build them up (VAF)? I heard the performance is good for the price...so are they used in the back of your 206 in place of OEM speakers LOL
    Didnt take too long at all because I paid Vaf for the assembly - Tis one good thing about living in Adelaide, I just dropped into their showroom and had an auditon and then picked them up already to go. The performance is brilliant for the $ I was looking at sonique's which were going to be 3K for similar speakers.

I have had them in the back of the 206 when I was moving but they dont really help performance much

I'm thinking about getting a pair of the DCX Mk IV's as some new mains... *insert drool here*
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Icon7

What is a power chip is the question that should initially be asked. It is software that replaces the code already present in your ECU. There is no modification done to your car's exhaust, engine, etc. The only difference is that the ROM table (or map) is reprogrammed with different values. This can be done easily with computer software and EEPROM programing hardware, if you know what you are doing. I think you will see some gain in performance but I'd question a gain from 124kW to 142kW.

I'd ask for a dyno test done before and after, fully refunded if the reprogramming didn't live up to expectations. I think they would baulk at that. $1k seems a bit rich.

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Quote Originally Posted by gti138
    I had a grand spare a couple of years ago (just after I got my 206) and I was working out if I should fork it out on a chip. I had a good chat to the service guys at my dealer they said they had no problems with them as they have never seen one that does anything apart from make the car violate the emissions regulations.

They also added that when they upgraded the software in my car it would overwrite the powerchip program. I thought about the numerous trips backwards and forwards I'd have to make and figured it wouldnt be worth it.

I instead spent the money on a pair of these: http://www.vaf.com.au/catalog/products/dc7.htm
    I'd prefer to get some alr jordans, or my brothers jamo 477s for $400 in a couple of months. but i need a straight stereo amp possibly a NAD.

so powerchips are a waste of time?

I am buying a k&n k57i induction kit for $200 landed. including postage. mmmmm yes, come to me induction noise.

If you already have a reprogrammable ecu (that you can blow new data into), a dyno day and tune could probably yield more power, for a lot less than a thousand bucks.

Heck, if you can already change the data in the ecu, you might aswell buy a new inlet cam and dyno the bugger. You could swing that for under a grand if you do the install yourself.
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

Quote Originally Posted by gti138

I'm thinking about getting a pair of the DCX Mk IV's as some new mains... *insert drool here*
    Enjoy your surround system when you get all the bits together..than get a projector LOL ( I am still a stereo fan)

Looked at ECU chips awhile back for my S16 and from reviews and tests that I've read, a plug-in chip does very little to overall performance and could be a waste of $$$. Many people recommended better tyres, brakes and suspension before spending money on chips as the performace gain is negligible. The chip should be matched to the car after dyno etc
    2007 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 6sp manual

2001 VW Bora 4-Motion - flooded away
    1998 Peugeot 406 SV manual - Gone to Hail Heaven
    1994 Silver S16 - Gone
    1983 505 Sti - Gone to good home

evolve',
    IMHO from reading about powerchips and hearing some reports form others spending that sort of money for the gains is not worth it. From reports I have read, some chips just deliver a richer A:F ratio, more power but at what efficiency?
    As someone suggested, may-be change cam profiles, and remap your ECU.
    If you are handy with a die-grinder you could do some mild port work and match the inlets/exhaust manifolds too. What $$ does a free flowing exhaust run to these days?
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Tadpole

Default powerchips

new frog here,
    as the name implies - a first-timer, i apologise firstly for any ignorance, or etiquette faux pas....i have recently put a powerchip 98 (programmed to run on 98 octane) in my 205gti, and have been wearing a permanent grin ever since......now i don't know if a 205 counts in relation to your inquiry, but if it does, then i can only say, that i would enthusiastically recommend the investment - the torque increase is remarkable, and i have found that with the addition of wynns race formula octane boost the car is not only idling better, going better, and getting better mileage (which goes someway to recovering the cost of the wynns product), but i am running at about 10 degrees cooler on average by comparison......in brisbane!!........in summer!!........i am absolutely stoked with the powerchip, and it has well and truly hooked me into my new 205.....so much so that i am now obsessed, like any other first-timer with getting more power - faster better etc,.......if there is anyone else out there who has been upgrading a 205, and knows some good ideas - please let me know..apart from the chip, it is a bog standard 91 model in great condition, and ready to be messed with!
    91 model
    japanese import
    70,000 on the clock
    new brakes all round on delivery
    superb!
    Last edited by new frog; 23rd February 2005 at 09:53 PM.

They do work on some cars and not others. Take the 1.9L Mi16 for example. My Mi16x4 had the 4.1 Motronic ECU (2 row), as fitted to UK cars. A Powerchip made an incrediable difference to the midrange torque, as it was poorly mapped from the factory.

I also owned a locally delivered 1.9L Mi16, with the 1.3 Motronic injection (3 row). As it turns out, this later model is superbly mapped, and the Powerchip only made it run worse, as did the Superchip.

Something like a UK 205 GTi, which was origianlly designed to run on 95/96 octane fuel, should see an impressive increase when tuned for 98 (if it has Motronic injection).

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

If you must chip the car, instead of getting a generic chip like the Powerchip, try the Unichip which is fitted and then tuned with your car on a dyno. Costs around the same as the powerchips etc too.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Thread Information