Fuego alternator help!!!!!!
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 Fuego alternator help!!!!!!

Anyone who has fitted a Bosch alternator to thier Fuego - can you PLEASE tell me the alternator model number or which car it came from.

I have been hunting through catalogues and wreckers for a couple of weeks, and I cant seem to find anything with the crucial pulley alignment to mount diamete correct - or even close enough to shim it.

Advertisement

Any help appreciated, as at the moment there is just a big red french blob in the drive.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequatly explained by stupidity.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniel
    Anyone who has fitted a Bosch alternator to thier Fuego - can you PLEASE tell me the alternator model number or which car it came from.

I have been hunting through catalogues and wreckers for a couple of weeks, and I cant seem to find anything with the crucial pulley alignment to mount diamete correct - or even close enough to shim it.

Any help appreciated, as at the moment there is just a big red french blob in the drive.
    I have a Bosch Altenator in the garage that was a straight fit to the vehicle it was on.

I am keeping it as a spare for when the original Paris-Rohne inevitebly dies...

I will get the part number off it tommorrow if you want...

Default What amps?? Fuego alternator.

I used a Renault R12, 55 amp Bosch on my previous 505 SR, fitted straight on, with a spacer.
    Can you tell what's wrong with the original?? Brushes, or windings?
    I ask because I know a place here in Brisbane who are able to supply almost any brush type available, and I can look up the part in their catalogue for you, if that'd help.
    Chris.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Administrator

The one in the garage is something stupid like 90A

Should get the power windows moving

The old GR - was it the Renault Engine or the Cast Iron Pug donk??

The old SR, was a pug pushrod engine. The alternator was the Bosch type with the small metal plate on the rear for the mounting bolt to pass through to hold it firmer in place.

90A....would certainly wind the windows up, past the stop at the top I'd wager..

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Just a quickie, can I expect that an underslung 6/74 Ti alternator, would swap exactly, to a 1980 Famalie?

THANKS ed ge

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller
    Just a quickie, can I expect that an underslung 6/74 Ti alternator, would swap exactly, to a 1980 Famalie?

THANKS ed ge
    Ed, 1980 famalie ??504 or 505. If 504 I have no idea.
    You'll have to direct that to an '04 expert.

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

504 overslung.

ed ge

i seem to remember someone saying an early Magna alternator fits Fuegos . should be a cheap fix - s/h Magna alternators must be cheap. But really, the Paris Rhone is fine. The new Valeo voltage regulators have been revised (just put one in my R25 recently - $80 odd bucks from Carrevelle) and combined with some new bearings and a commutator regrind ($60 something) it should prove trouble free. And you know it fits
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

farmerdave

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    i seem to remember someone saying an early Magna alternator fits Fuegos . should be a cheap fix - s/h Magna alternators must be cheap. But really, the Paris Rhone is fine. The new Valeo voltage regulators have been revised (just put one in my R25 recently - $80 odd bucks from Carrevelle) and combined with some new bearings and a commutator regrind ($60 something) it should prove trouble free. And you know it fits
    Second that on the Paris-Rhone. Mechanically they are as good as any, the bearings are standard sizes and readily replaced. So unless the windings are cooked, its a keeper.
    If you want a "50c fix" for the regulator(and it seems to be very common on R25s) a Bosch RE55 regulator can be fitted and is trouble free (once you sort out the wiring)

Farmerdave

[QUOTE=mistareno]The one in the garage is something stupid like 90A
    Should get the power windows moving

My fuego has a 105 amp paris rhone alternator from a r25or something. made a huge difference to the windows,rear wiper and maybe I'm dreaming, but the motor seems to run beter too.
    The working bosch alternator sitting on my lap that came off the fuego is;
    on plastic box at rear EE 14v3
    9 190 067 005

on metal body side 9 120 060 837
    u k1 >14v55a20 852
    Not sure how good it is, but if you want it you can have it for nothing.
    PM me if you want it.

Default Thanks for the offer, but I need the output.

jo proffi,

Thanks for the offer, but the alternator you have is only a 55amp output. I need at least a 70.

I'll take a 105A R25 one if anyone has a spare.

Shane(Jack)Daniel

jo proffi,

Thanks for the offer, but the alternator you have is only a 55amp output. I need at least a 70.

I'll take a 105A R25 one if anyone has a spare.

Shane(Jack)Daniel
    Yup. Needs bearings and regulator though, but dont want to give it away, so make me an offer But I think they are 115 amp, not 105

Postage would be a killer though. Head down to your local reno wrecker and get an R25 or R21 (they use the same one) alternator. If the regulator is a dud, get a Valeo one from Carrevelle in Melbourne. The last one I bought for my R25 had a blurb with it saying Valeo had redesigned it for better relaibility etc and is a replacement for earlier ones that seem to have developed a dud reputation for reliablility.

The extra amps certainly cant hurt - Fuego windows are not known for quick operation, and 90/130 watt headlight globes are great for country driving . Might also help that drop in idle speed you always get when the cooling fans kick in!
    Last edited by Haakon; 20th February 2005 at 06:40 PM.

The extra amps certainly cant hurt - Fuego windows are not known for quick operation, and 90/130 watt headlight globes are great for country driving . Might also help that drop in idle speed you always get when the cooling fans kick in![/QUOTE]

Mine still drops a few hundred revs.
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    The extra amps certainly cant hurt - Fuego windows are not known for quick operation, and 90/130 watt headlight globes are great for country driving . Might also help that drop in idle speed you always get when the cooling fans kick in!

Jo[/QUOTE]

another joy of EFI - computer controlled idle speed - even 800 rpm regardless of load put on motor by alternator or AC compressor

Default Fuego R25 alternator

OK, I think I have found an R25 alternator in good working condition, so it will do.

The markings on the case indicate its a 105A alternator, so if there is a 115A version, it might have been from a later model.

By the way, during my searches I came across a place that sells regulators and rectifiers for all different sorts of alternators. I have ordered one of each for the R25 one and the Fuego one (spare), so if they come through and are OK, I'll post the details.

Also, slow down of motors is caused by a voltage drop. The voltage drop is caused by load on the system. (Power is the limiting factor - P = I x V) Thats one of the purposes of the regulator. As the load goes up, voltage drops, the regulator compensates and increases the voltage. This will only work until the load limit is reached, then the voltage drop causes things to slow down. If you rev the engine a bit, the power produced goes up and stabilises the voltage, and things work at thier normal speed again.

I know this is a simplification, so not exactly technically correct - but close enough.

Default Adapting Alternators

I faced this problem with the alternator and my 69 404. It had an odd ball mounting lug width and nothing came close. The mounting lugs on all easy to find alternators were too wide.

Suggestion: choose a alternator with an inbuilt regulator you can buy at a "milk bar". Holden or Falcon are ideal.

Get a hacksaw and cut off the lug until it fits your engine, it may need a couple of washers and some filing. The tensioner lug may need a longer/different bolt and spacerwashers too.

Provided you don't cut too much away it will be plenty strong enough.

The ease of finding an subsequent replacement makes this worthwhile.

*** Make sure you tape up access to the alterntor internals throughly, so the aluminium filings don't get inside ***

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Jo
    another joy of EFI - computer controlled idle speed - even 800 rpm regardless of load put on motor by alternator or AC compressor [/QUOTE]
    Haakon, dont need any convincing on that point. My carby just shat itself AGAIN, so wont even idle ,let alone drop revs!!
    Jo
    Last edited by jo proffi; 23rd February 2005 at 02:20 PM. Reason: stupidity

Thread Information