206/180 Coilover suspension.
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 206/180 Coilover suspension.

Hello

I'm shopping for some good adjustable coilover suspension for a gti 180.

I am quite familiar with suspension setup and I am after as much adjustabilty as possible.

I have found the D2 kit, but it appears to be coilover fronts, but and a fixed damper-only rear that retains the original torsion bar. Is this correct? D2 apparently have some quality/lifespan issues, so while the are cheap I prefer to steer away from them.

Advertisement

The bilstein PSS kit appears to not be available for the GTi 180/RC, and has a "B6 Sport" alternative. I cannot find information on this "B6 Sport" and I am lacking alot of info on the PSS kit.

So far I cannot find anything at all for the 206 that allows height adjustment seperate from preload. I can definetly can do without if different spring rates are available (as D2 offers), but it is always a plus.

Ideally I'm looking for a kit that eliminates the torsion bar at the rear end, has adjustable rebound and compression damping and seperate preload and height adjustment. Pillow ball mounts and adjustable camber are also a big plus. From what I've seen, the 206 has quite a poor range and I will probably never find this

Any help will be much appreciated

Almost forgot, I'm new to AF. Be gentle

Quote Originally Posted by corse
    Hello

I am quite familiar with suspension setup and I am after as much adjustabilty as possible.

So far I cannot find anything at all for the 206 that allows height adjustment seperate from preload. I can definetly can do without if different spring rates are available (as D2 offers), but it is always a plus.

Ideally I'm looking for a kit that eliminates the torsion bar at the rear end, has adjustable rebound and compression damping and seperate preload and height adjustment. Pillow ball mounts and adjustable camber are also a big plus. From what I've seen, the 206 has quite a poor range and I will probably never find this

Hi mate welcome to AF!!!!....
    What is so bad about the rear end set up on the 180 that you need pillow mounts and rear adjustable camber???? I think your over engineering the setup, to which you have no if any R&D to back it with.
    Is this a road car? If so why go so over board with the susp? You want adjustable rear, then why leave the front to the JUST adjustable struts, why not go the whole deal, gut the car, 20 point roll cage it and have double A rose jointed everything? ...
    I agree, the 206 has poor "range"-> in Australia, but in the UK and EU, you wouldn't have to much trouble.
    If your familiar with suspention setup do you really needs us to find a kit that will do all that?
    I'm just quite baffeled my friend, are you matching the susp with brakes, tyres and race kitting it? Otherwise I see an expensive change, with unknow results (unless you can point out otherwise) and end up with a very bouncy road car.... anyway my 2c.

BUT to answer your question, I would be taking the car to race engineers and have them build you a custom, fully adjustable setup and book some serious track time. Good luck mate. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Welcome to Aussiefrogs! We're always gentle

As Chris has said, I'm wondering what the car is going to be used for? Are you turning it into a track car?

This thread might interest you, if you're building a Targa type car: Targa Tasmania Peugeot-only class
    Last edited by GTI124; 16th February 2005 at 10:02 AM.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Hello

I'm shopping for some good adjustable coilover suspension for a gti 180.

I have found the D2 kit, but it appears to be coilover fronts, but and a fixed damper-only rear that retains the original torsion bar. Is this correct? D2 apparently have some quality/lifespan issues, so while the are cheap I prefer to steer away from them.

The bilstein PSS kit appears to not be available for the GTi 180/RC, and has a "B6 Sport" alternative. I cannot find information on this "B6 Sport" and I am lacking alot of info on the PSS kit.

Drummond Motor sport in Albury produce fully(bump/rebound/height) adjustable suspension for 206's. Jamie Drummond is a whiz at suspension, Possum Bourne used it, Chris Atkinson used it, it's good!
    Chris
    205gti

Tadpole

Yes, I'm thinking of turning it into a car to compete in hillclimbs/tarmac rallies/under 2ltr improved production

Cheers Chris, I thought about looking into DMS but I thought there was no way they would have anything for the 206. Glad to see I was wrong, DMS look like my best bet

Yeah DMS are fantastic, but you are looking at $6K++ for their fully adjustable setup (and that's retaining the torsion bar setup, but uprating the torsion bar itself). If you're going to get that serious, I'm guessing you will do the same with engine etc. That will be an around $70K car once finished.

Plus with the 'plex that the new cars run, could get very expensive should things go wrong. Have you considered getting an old 205gti and doing the same thing. Weighs less, costs less etc. In fact on initial thoughts, I'd take a guess that you could build your own 205 T16 rally beast for more or less the same as your fwd fully setup gti180.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Yes, I'm thinking of turning it into a car to compete in hillclimbs/tarmac rallies/under 2ltr improved production

Cheers Chris, I thought about looking into DMS but I thought there was no way they would have anything for the 206. Glad to see I was wrong, DMS look like my best bet
    Good luck to you sir.. and keep us posted. I hope you put just as much research and effort into the cage, brakes, chassis bracing, tyre/wheels and engine work. Keep us posted... - Chris

ps. I think a 205 gti would yield a better result too. Improved production would allow a legal Mi16 engine swap, so that's 180Hp in a car 20% lighter than your gti180....
    ... ptui!

Thread Information