205 power again..
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 205 power again..

I know this has been covered a few times and i've been searching through the forums, i would like to get your opinions on this.

Advertisement

I've got a series 2 205Gti that needs some attention (hopefully just valve stem seals).

Anyways i've purchased a series 3 head off the forums so i'm now going to send it off to the shop to have cleaned up.

I'm no mechanic so please correct me where i may be wrong or unclear so i don't go telling the workshop people to do the wrong thing, thanks!

Now with the help of Peter and aussiefrogs, i've come up with this.

With the head, i will tell the shop guys to
    -skim a tiny 0.25-0.5mm off the head
    -Get 3 angle seats. Now this has come up a few times on the forums and on the net but with different wording. I don't know what this really is so i don't know how i'm supposed to tell the shop, would they know what i mean if i say 3 angle seats? do i need to give more specific details
    -Bronze inserts for guides- darno what it is, is it necessary?
    All this and a standard service? I'm assuming a standard service includes replacing valve stem seals

I may also be getting Peter to wip up one of his special Cams for me (unless the series 3 cam is suitable)

Now for the other parts i need to buy(let me know if i should get anything else)

Parts:
    New head bolts x4
    Timing belt
    gasket kit?
    Water pump(i've purchased and came with gasket)

Once the head is done and the cam organised, i'm taking these bits to a local mechanic for him to put together.. i want to get the parts myself since i can spend more time sourcing(and hopefully saving $$) and less time waiting for the mechanic to open the car up and then order parts.

Is there anything the mechanic should look out for? He does alot of Saabs and older model bms, plus the usual falcos and commos

thanks

Joey

That all sounds about right. Ive had the same things done to mine but also had the block and liners skimmed. I would also maby recomend having the head gas flowed while its off. Peter T will be able to tell you all the right things to be done if you get in contact with him. With the higher compression i believe a slight regrind on the cam to increase duration will also aid. I think

Cam
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by cam85
    That all sounds about right. Ive had the same things done to mine but also had the block and liners skimmed. I would also maby recomend having the head gas flowed while its off. Peter T will be able to tell you all the right things to be done if you get in contact with him. With the higher compression i believe a slight regrind on the cam to increase duration will also aid. I think

Cam
    cheers cam, i've been in contact with peter and he's been a great help.

Thread Information