bouncing speedo
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: bouncing speedo

Tadpole

Default bouncing speedo

just recently my speedo has started bouncing instead of being smooth.
    it goes smoothly but sometimes randomly starts bouncing at about 110 - 120 and also alot around 40-60. sometimes at other speeds but not much.

anyone know how i could fix this?
    thanks,
    dave

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by davey o
    just recently my speedo has started bouncing instead of being smooth.
    it goes smoothly but sometimes randomly starts bouncing at about 110 - 120 and also alot around 40-60. sometimes at other speeds but not much.

anyone know how i could fix this?
    thanks,
    dave
    this happens when the lube in the speedo cable drys out.now i reckon you should do a search on ther subject as if its done wrong,the lube travels up the cable and drips into the speedo /instrument cluster.
    a new cable will fix it and might be a better option,not cheaper but longer lasting soloution.-BAZZ

Tadpole

i think ill just live with a bouncy speedo for now :p
    thanks for the reply, ill probably replace the cable a bit later on when i get some more money.

Fellow Frogger!

My 205 used to have a bouncy and noisy speedo at certain speeds... and it went away... but now i'm not too sure about the speedo's accuracy...

Tadpole

glad to hear i am not robinson crusoe with the bouncy speedo.......it gives me the shits, though i am taking some comfort in its being a common issue.......my 205 was imported from japan, and has only got 70,000 ks on the clock, so the cynic in me thought the speedo might be bouncing as a result of someones having a crack at winding the clock back - the cars in mint condition, so i suppose 70k is okay.........i think i'll live with the bouncing for a while.......not a cheap excersize to get a cable replaced, and there are so many other things to spend the loot on first!!

I once replaced a cable in a R12, and didn't follow the instructions on how to thread it around stuff.The resault was a very bouncy needle untill I got it right.
    Jo

UFO

The speedo in my D Special bounces for the first 30 to 50km of a trip, then the lube gets warmed up and the speedo needle becomes more realistic. Then it is the turn of the tacho to play "Am I reading full, half, or no engine speed". Keeps you alert on a long trip anyway!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

The problem they found overseas with these speedos is that we're all driving cars that were designed for LHD so as a result, all our speedo cables are about twice as long as the ones on a LHD car because the cable comes through the firewall on the LHS, bends to the right, passes though a pile of wires and ventilation ducts and then bends at right angles to connect to the speedo.
    I found on the BX that if I supported the cable onto the bulkhead just behind the speedo that it helped a lot particularly if I kept all stress off the cable but it still had a slight wobble in it. I had a visitor from the UK who had followed my pocedure but wasn't happy 100% with the result, so he took the speedo head, sprayed silicone release spray into the fitting on the back of the speedo head, worked it with a small screwdriver until it felt smooth and free and reckons his speedo is now solid as a rock.
    I haven't tried it personally, but if you've ever seen the drama involved in removing a speedo binnacle from a BX you'll understand why.
    Anyone doing a cable, I'd suggest you give it a go. Another guy had a cable made up by a company in Victoria and had it done about 75mm longer than standard; he reckoned that worked too, so perhaps a combination of all these tips may be the go.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information