Fitting a 4 point harness to the RSC
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,160

    Default Fitting a 4 point harness to the RSC

    Just got a nice 4 point harness... (was going to get a 3, but advised a 4 is SOOO much better/safer)

    i can mount one strap in the orig rear seatbelt location... the other one is a bit tricky without moving a whole heap of plastic panneling...

    Anyone done this?
    is it safe to drill through the metal below the seats for the reinforcing plate?

    Advertisement


    a bit worried, as there's a fuel tank down there somewhere!

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! casnell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Heidelberg/melbourne
    Posts
    912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nate
    Just got a nice 4 point harness... (was going to get a 3, but advised a 4 is SOOO much better/safer)

    i can mount one strap in the orig rear seatbelt location... the other one is a bit tricky without moving a whole heap of plastic panneling...

    Anyone done this?
    is it safe to drill through the metal below the seats for the reinforcing plate?

    a bit worried, as there's a fuel tank down there somewhere!
    It shouldn't go lower than about 10deg.from horizontal or you get squashed...
    Chris
    205gti

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,160

    Default

    http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au...B5867C54B2FC02

    yeah 10deg recco, but 45deg max...
    i'm doing supersprints so its pretty "low risk"... & getting that 10degree is going to be almost impossible without a cage...

    Any ideas?
    There's no parcel shelf...

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger! casnell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Heidelberg/melbourne
    Posts
    912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nate
    http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au...B5867C54B2FC02

    yeah 10deg recco, but 45deg max...
    i'm doing supersprints so its pretty "low risk"... & getting that 10degree is going to be almost impossible without a cage...

    Any ideas?
    There's no parcel shelf...
    Can you put a bar from tower-tower like a strut brace? You can't in a 205 cos there's no towers as such but I've seen it done in lancers and soobies, then you can just fold the rear seats and hide it all...
    Chris
    205gti

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts CHRI'S16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nate
    http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au...B5867C54B2FC02

    yeah 10deg recco, but 45deg max...
    i'm doing supersprints so its pretty "low risk"... & getting that 10degree is going to be almost impossible without a cage...

    Any ideas?
    There's no parcel shelf...
    Nathan, I have seen a low mounted harness in a slow (40Kph) hit at Oran park (last turn before main straight) snap the race seat in two, pushing some of it in to the back of the driver, he also thought supersprints were "low" risk... I'm just worried about your safety. - Chris
    ... ptui!

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger! casnell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Heidelberg/melbourne
    Posts
    912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    Nathan, I have seen a low mounted harness in a slow (40Kph) hit at Oran park (last turn before main straight) snap the race seat in two, pushing some of it in to the back of the driver, he also thought supersprints were "low" risk... I'm just worried about your safety. - Chris
    I agree,I reckon I'd rather have a standard seatbelt than a harness mounted low, the vertical component is just too high at 45 IMO...
    Chris(also!)
    205gti

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,160

    Default

    cheers mate...
    guess i'll have another good look at it tomorrow...

    maybe put a bar across the back or something...
    i.e. between the rear seat lock in points up top...

    Its odd, cause the harness guide (OMP) said use the back rear seatbelt mounts... which are VERY low...

    anyone know of any expert fitters?

    need to ensure there's no huge mods to the car though

  8. #8
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,256

    Default

    what about the upper rear belt mounts ??
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x '98 306 GTi6

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0


    WTD long range fuel tank for 605

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,160

    Default

    Too far apart... but i could put a bar between them!!!

    Ja bless!

    hmmm now all i need is a welder & some metal...

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger! Cubits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Ahah, a solution for the 205! :p

    Will keep that in mind when the time comes.
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

  11. #11
    1000+ Posts CHRI'S16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nate
    Too far apart... but i could put a bar between them!!!

    Ja bless!

    hmmm now all i need is a welder & some metal...
    Not really, if you put upper points to the drivers side upper belt point that would do it. In 90% of 4 point harness's each shoulder strap is independently adjustable. So just make one a little longer when you are adjusting them... - Chris
    ... ptui!

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,160

    Default

    yeah both straps are adjustable!

    So one to the drivers upper & one to the upper rear?
    they'd both be on the right hand side of the car and not center... :|

    Cant go the rear left mount as it will barely be on the shoulder...

  13. #13
    1000+ Posts CHRI'S16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nate
    yeah both straps are adjustable!

    So one to the drivers upper & one to the upper rear?
    they'd both be on the right hand side of the car and not center... :|

    Cant go the rear left mount as it will barely be on the shoulder...
    No quite... both upper straps will need to go to the upper rear left belt mount. Hence adjusting them indvidually. The lowers on will go to the coresponding belt point, the othe can reach across down to the other side. - Chris

    ps.. tis hard to explain without showing.
    ... ptui!

  14. #14
    XTC
    XTC is offline
    VIC: a fine driving state XTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Location Location Location
    Posts
    8,566

    Default

    Nate, I know of someone with this setup in a GTi180 .. recently done, recently passed CAMS scrutineering, there is quite a few tips and trick you might want to know. If so PM me.

    - xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......




    '02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

  15. #15
    Fellow Frogger! bazgti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nth balwyn, victoria
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Nate, I know of someone with this setup in a GTi180 .. recently done, recently passed CAMS scrutineering, there is quite a few tips and trick you might want to know. If so PM me.

    - xTc -
    please post findings as im also interested in a harness for the 205 and would like to see what comes up-BAZZ

  16. #16
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,160

    Default

    OK well its finally in!

    I used the original mounting points for everything...
    the 2 lower ones either side of ma but, which needed slightly longer bolts (used high tensile of course), increased length so they are exactly the same depth

    Then the 2 shoulder straps i used the top rear right passenger mount. Once again increasing bolt length to ensure depth is the same.

    The only panel that doesnt fit back on is next to the orig seat belt clip (not buckle), but i'll order another one & cut it so the new strap fits (just a plastic cover).

    Took a bit, but WELL worth the effort!
    nothing modified! will post pics...

    I'll be doing the RCCA motorkhana day on Sunday, so i'll get the CAMS guys to go over it thoroughly & then post pics etc for all!


    -- Edit
    ummm legalities of using this on the road?
    since i've used original mounting points would it be OK?
    would i possibly have to use the original seatbelt as well?
    or is it engineer time?

  17. #17
    Fellow Frogger! casnell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Heidelberg/melbourne
    Posts
    912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nate
    OK well its finally in!

    I used the original mounting points for everything...
    the 2 lower ones either side of ma but, which needed slightly longer bolts (used high tensile of course), increased length so they are exactly the same depth

    Then the 2 shoulder straps i used the top rear right passenger mount. Once again increasing bolt length to ensure depth is the same.

    The only panel that doesnt fit back on is next to the orig seat belt clip (not buckle), but i'll order another one & cut it so the new strap fits (just a plastic cover).

    Took a bit, but WELL worth the effort!
    nothing modified! will post pics...

    I'll be doing the RCCA motorkhana day on Sunday, so i'll get the CAMS guys to go over it thoroughly & then post pics etc for all!


    -- Edit
    ummm legalities of using this on the road?
    since i've used original mounting points would it be OK?
    would i possibly have to use the original seatbelt as well?
    or is it engineer time?
    Congrats, sounds like a good solution. Would probably work well on a 205 as there's not much else to attach to without a cage...
    205gti

  18. #18
    1000+ Posts tekkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nate
    ummm legalities of using this on the road?
    since i've used original mounting points would it be OK?
    would i possibly have to use the original seatbelt as well?
    or is it engineer time?
    Harness is not a road legal restraint device. Does it have ADR compliance number on the plaque?
    I see no problems with the harness remaining in the car whilst driving on the road as long as the OEM seat belt is used. It would be a good idea to confirm this.
    .
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

    EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40


  19. #19
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    No quite... both upper straps will need to go to the upper rear left belt mount. Hence adjusting them indvidually. The lowers on will go to the coresponding belt point, the othe can reach across down to the other side. - Chris

    ps.. tis hard to explain without showing.
    Chris, this will mean that in an accident it will try to push my head (or rip it off) towards the drivers window, as the straps are not directly behind me & on an angle...
    issues?
    would CAMS pass this? (have you seen a car with this setup pass CAMS?)

    --Edit
    The angle is about 20-30degrees... so if my high school maths isnt that bad, the force pushing ma noggin towards the window would be roughly 0.3-0.4 times the forward force... snapage of the head rest? hmmm
    Last edited by nate; 17th February 2005 at 01:19 PM.

  20. #20
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,160

    Default

    Well got the CAMS guy at the motorkhana to have a look at the mounting...

    Mumbled & ummmed & ahhed a bit & eventually came to a "i wouldnt really like to approve it"

    So the rear seatbelt mount aint gonna happen!

    Going to now put a bar (just some thick angle) between the rear strut mounts & put them on that... VERY simple & a lot better!

    Will post pics

  21. #21
    Fellow Frogger! Cubits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    555

    Default

    So now all is lost for the 205 again!

    Damn, now i'm gonna have to get that rollcage.
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

  22. #22
    Fellow Frogger! casnell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Heidelberg/melbourne
    Posts
    912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cubits
    So now all is lost for the 205 again!

    Damn, now i'm gonna have to get that rollcage.
    I'm picking mine up saturday, I'll post pix if I can...
    Chris
    205gti

  23. #23
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cubits
    So now all is lost for the 205 again!
    Damn, now i'm gonna have to get that rollcage.
    Not all is lost.... spoke to the local guys at City Performance & he rekons he can fab something up between the strut mounts... about $800 out of Cromolly

    Anyone know any roll cage installers in North Shore area?
    Paul V able to Fab something up?

  24. #24
    Fellow Frogger! Cubits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    555

    Default

    No, all is lost for the 205. You can't fab anything between the strut mounts on a 205, because theyre under the floor.
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

  25. #25
    Fellow Frogger! lucin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    inner E melbourne
    Posts
    453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nate
    Not all is lost.... spoke to the local guys at City Performance & he rekons he can fab something up between the strut mounts... about $800 out of Cromolly

    Anyone know any roll cage installers in North Shore area?
    Paul V able to Fab something up?
    Rather than a bar, can you just lower the rear seats and put the eye bolt (with a backing plate underneath) into the metal at the rear of the boot? The bolt should be visible coming through where the spare tyre is?
    Then - 2001 206 Gti
    Now - 2000 306 Gti6
    Now - 1974 GS 1220 Club

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •