S16 Oil Gauge Reading
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default S16 Oil Gauge Reading

Hey Guys

Since the oil (Penrite) was changed at my last service, I have been having problems with the oil tressure gauge. When I start the car and until the engine warms to normal (around 90 deg) my oil pressure on idle sits around 4 bar. but when the car is idling when the engine is at normal temp the oil pressure will decrease to 0, which im a little worried about. Then when I accelerate it will go upto around 2 bar.

Advertisement

Previously before the oil change, the oil pressure would normally fluctuate around 2-4 bar.

any help would be appreciated.

cheers

Tim,

I have the same thing. I notice on a cold day pressure is better, around 3-4 bar, but usually around town drops to 1 bar at idle.
    Not sure if its dodgy french electrics (ie sender) or too low vicosity of the oil.

Im usuing Penrite too, semi synthetic, do you gets yours serviced by Mark @ Lion Autos too?
    Im due for a service soon and will raise the question, so will let u know.

Cheers,

Dan.
    C4 Hdi - Pierre, Suby BRZ - Fuji and Wren the FRB Clio IV

Tadpole

Default Oil

Dan

Yeah Mark does mine, Im thinking its the oil. Mark looked over the car when it first started happening..thinking it may be an oil leak, but if its happened to you as well, i reckon its the viscosity of the oil.

might be due for an early oil change.

By the way how are your brakes going? im about to do the upgrade myself!

Interesting. I think he's using 5W50, maybe go for a 10W50?

Brakes are good, a definite improvement over stock and far less brake dust

There is a marked improvement in performance when they are warmed up, and the feel improves too. No fade on freeway under sustained braking also.

I have developed a slight shudder under light braking over the last week, (fine under heavy load and when warm it seems) so will get this checked too.

Always something huh... (AC/Fan probs )

PS: ARe you coming to the meet this w/e?, would be good to see another S16.

Tadpole

Default oil

Didn't know there was a meet on, Im pretty busy but would like to talk to some fellow owners.

where is it, what time etc?

Yeah I just went for a drive and my extra thermo fan keeps on coming on and the engine isnt that hot either!

have a look under Social Events, here;
    Adelaide pug meet

If you can make Handorf i may see you there.

This happens/varies on the type and weight of oil you use guys. I wouldn't base the whole oil life on the factory guage though it is a good indicator that atleast something is happening. - Chris
    ... ptui!

ive got the same thing happening in my 205 gti, and im using penrite too

i found the pressure dropped lowest in the first week the oil was in, but even after that, when hot, it would idle with 1 bar or less.

Could it be the penrite doesnt hold its viscosity well enough?? As far as i know, the fuchs oil from before didnt cause problems...
    Jazz Blue S1 mod 205 GTi

Tadpole

Default Penrite

Yeah I think the common link here is the penrite. As far as I can see from reading other posts this problem doesn't occur usine 5w-40w with other oil types.

On my next change I intend to run ELF oil, so ill be sure to let you guys know the results.

Tadpole

Just curious about
    found the pressure dropped lowest in the first week the oil was in, but even after that, when hot, it would idle with 1 bar or less.
    . Am only new to this forum, well, imput-wise, but would presume that this oil incident would be the case. Oil is going to 'gum' up during use, granted its only in the first week, but it happens.. Also wondering about if you guys have had a spectrum analysis done on the oil u guys r using, I know a REALLY good place MY WORK, SORRY These guys will give you the most you could ever know about an oil. I myself, not having a pug, but am in the trade, had my oil tested, good ole' toyota telling me it was fully synthetic DIESEL oil they were using, not that im sure is such a thing, but turns out its mineral based Neways, I'd also have a look at getting a secondary gauge hooked up to test continuity between what ur reading on ur dash to a calibrate guage...

P.s, is the largest Oil sampling lab is the southern hemispere, whatever that counts for...

Thread Information