S1 205 Pinging on regular.
  • Register
  • Help

Default S1 205 Pinging on regular.

I'd been having a pinging issue for a while now, and after having the engine rebuilt, i thought it'd have to be gone, for sure!

Unfortunately, i still have to run premium to stop it from pinging. I have no idea what could be causing it. Everything else seems to be running fine now. :/

Advertisement

There has to be some fault with the fuel/air mix or something that is causing this. My car doesn't quite feel like it's ever hit 35mpg (although it keeps tempting me to change down, and i am weak), and the top end power feels a bit off. :p
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

Quote Originally Posted by Cubits
    I'd been having a pinging issue for a while now, and after having the engine rebuilt, i thought it'd have to be gone, for sure!

Unfortunately, i still have to run premium to stop it from pinging. I have no idea what could be causing it. Everything else seems to be running fine now. :/

There has to be some fault with the fuel/air mix or something that is causing this. My car doesn't quite feel like it's ever hit 35mpg (although it keeps tempting me to change down, and i am weak), and the top end power feels a bit off. :p
    can i ask a really stupid question ,
    why are you running a car that requires at least 96 octane grade petrol on a petrol that is about 90 octane.
    these cars need PREMIUM.
    no wonder your having pinging problems.
    run it on premium ,do not let anyone tell you different.
    READ THE HANDBOOK THAT COMES WITH THE CAR IF YOU DONT BELEIVE ME.
    you are having too change down because the petrol you are using is not giving you the power that the gear your in needs which is why you have to change down rev the car more and use more petrol.
    CHANGE BACK TO PREMIUM NOW!!!!!
    it only costs a little more and will give you better mileage than regular so it will SAVE YOU
    m. o.n.e.y.
    its false economy if you are running regular cause its cheaper.-BAZZ

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    can i ask a really stupid question ,
    why are you running a car that requires at least 96 octane grade petrol on a petrol that is about 90 octane.
    these cars need PREMIUM.
    no wonder your having pinging problems.
    run it on premium ,do not let anyone tell you different.
    READ THE HANDBOOK THAT COMES WITH THE CAR IF YOU DONT BELEIVE ME.
    you are having too change down because the petrol you are using is not giving you the power that the gear your in needs which is why you have to change down rev the car more and use more petrol.
    CHANGE BACK TO PREMIUM NOW!!!!!
    it only costs a little more and will give you better mileage than regular so it will SAVE YOU
    m. o.n.e.y.
    its false economy if you are running regular cause its cheaper.-BAZZ
    Baz these cars WERE designed for standard 91 octane ULP.
    PULP wasn't available in those days. For a Series One this was the fuel to use until the high density Optimax, Mobil 8000 etc. came on the scene. This is why these engines are so detuned from the Euro Spec models, they only have 8.3 to 1 compression.
    The Si, however has higher compression and needs to run on PULP. My Si feels a lot crisper than an early GTI, taking into account the smaller engine capacity.
    I would recommend checking the timing to see if it is too advanced, neither the GTI I had 12 years ago or the one I had last year pinged on 91 octane.
    Graham

Yeah, i was thinking about the timing, but Ian from euroserve was the guy that recoed my engine. I thought he would've noticed the timing was out, and rectified it.

Oh well, i'll have to crack my haynes and see if there's a "quick way to check the timing" that doesn't involve much more than taking the front right wheel off. :p

Baz... I've been running it on premium since i got the car (last feb), but when the fuel prices went up, i put a tank of regular in (knowing that the car should run fine on it), and had issues. I tried again a couple of months after the rebuild and had the same problem. I normally run on premium, but with my car i really know there shouldn't be a point.

1000+ Posts

Are you buying your fuel from the one source? Fuel is often of poor quality and doesn't make the 91 octane. We get our fuel bulk once a month and sometimes the car pings and runs on. I've found BP to be better quality than the Caltex we use but there isn't a local supplier.

Default pinging

I agree with the earlier writers... my 87 S1 205 GTI runs very well on unleaded fuel.. in fact there's no difference when I put premium in it.

However, my wife's 92 205 SI (1.6 litre) runs like a dog on unleaded and needs premium to run smoothly. It also has a sticker around the fuel cap which says use 95 ron fuel only....( which probably explains alot)...

In short, an 87 Series one 205GTI should run well on unlead ed.

well mine runs like a dog on standard and every peugeot mechanic ive been too recomends to run them on premium.series 1 2 or 3.i also noticed that i made a mistake in saying the handbook recomended 96 octane,it was 96 ron they recomend.
    any way it dosnt cost that much more to fill up using premium and i get better fuel economy when using it so it actually saves me money.-BAZZ

Quote Originally Posted by Cubits
    Yeah, i was thinking about the timing, but Ian from euroserve was the guy that recoed my engine. I thought he would've noticed the timing was out, and rectified it.

Oh well, i'll have to crack my haynes and see if there's a "quick way to check the timing" that doesn't involve much more than taking the front right wheel off. :p

Baz... I've been running it on premium since i got the car (last feb), but when the fuel prices went up, i put a tank of regular in (knowing that the car should run fine on it), and had issues. I tried again a couple of months after the rebuild and had the same problem. I normally run on premium, but with my car i really know there shouldn't be a point.
    well by the comments in your last paragraph it seems your 205 dont like standard either.mine has 178 on the clock and runs very well but i can surly tell the difference when putting premium in.
    smoother running,better economy,more power on take off,less problems with efi dirting or gumming up,better idle.
    i ran it on standard for a couple of tanks and it seemed like it had the handbrake slightly on.
    thats what happens with my car anyway.-BAZZ

Just a thought,
    if the motor has been rebuilt was the head shaved? or even
    trimmed back a mill or so....
    That will increase the compression ration normally but when a
    motor is rebuilt its usual for bigger pistons to get slotted in,
    increasing the compression ration even more so.

When I last rebuilt a motor I measured the volumes of the
    head chamber versus piston displacement and a 9 to 1 compression
    motor was over 12 to 1 with a shaved head and 1mm oversize
    pistons. I had to open out the head chambers to drop the comp
    ration down to 10 to 1. It ran fine but that was with good old
    super fuel.

Worth asking whoever rebuilt the motor what was done to it.

Biologist

richen it up a bit, take the cover off the afm and do it
    2008 Fiesta XR4 "ST150"
    -Cosworth cams, Cosworth intake manifold, CIA "K&N", Dream science, De-Cat, Eibach, Bilsteins, White Line sway bar "rear", EBC Rotors and pads, Goodridge brake lines, OZ Racing wheels, Toyo R1R

1964 S2a Land Rover LWB
    -Served with the 1st Australian Task Force, Vietnam, original condition

1994 S3 205 GTI
    -3L 406 V6 Conversion

2009 Husqvarna TE510
    -Blinged

Now i think i'm getting valve chatter on premium!! Of course, that could be sticky valves after a recent franging saw the engine and oil temps go a bit high (although im on 15w50 mobil 1), but i can't see how that would cause this issue so readily.

So it might be pinging on premium... which is very odd.

Now, could the cam gear be slipping? I thought even 1 tooth slipped would be a big issue with the timing.

Failing that, what does the LU-2 Jetronic use instead of a TDC sensor? I'm suspecting that a few of my sensors might be dead (like the O2 sensor on the cat, i think it got oiled). Would they cause issues of this magnitude?

Crap... i've already spent a heap on my engine, and my accounts are running dry. I really, really don't want to have to send it to Ian again if it's something i can fix myself.

Thread Information