Erratic Oil temp gauge Mi16
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Erratic Oil temp gauge Mi16

Hi Guys,

Don't know what you all drive yet, but i'm sure I'll find out soon enough!!

I drive a 91 405Mi16 with 292000 km's on the clock! Still going strong though!

Wondering if anyone has had their oil temp gauge jump from 90 to the 100 mark then the cooler fans kick in! I know it's not the heat or driving too hard because it happens when it's cold and I'm taking it easy!!!

Any help would be greatly apreciated!!!

Advertisement

Drew

g'day drew, im a fellow 405 mi16 driver, but mine has 413,000k's on it, shes got a bit of life left yet!

on the oil temp front, im having gauge probs too, in that mine doesent work at all, can anyone tell me where the sensor and plugs at either end are located??
    '91 Peugeot 405 Mi16 - only just run in......

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by bj_dove
    g'day drew, im a fellow 405 mi16 driver, but mine has 413,000k's on it, shes got a bit of life left yet!

on the oil temp front, im having gauge probs too, in that mine doesent work at all, can anyone tell me where the sensor and plugs at either end are located??

i had a prob with my gauge a year ago. ended up being a loose wire on the sump. It was dragging along the ground and it was showing the oil temp going up and down all the time. Easy fix though. Sounds like an earth prob, as far as I know the sensor is at the bottom of the sump.

Dave
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

I didn't think the fans were connected in any way to the oil temp. The fans are controlled by a sensor under neath the theromostat housing. If this sensor becomes open circuit (from coolant dripping on it) the fans will turn on hard (2nd speed).

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

1000+ Posts

Yep, the sensor is at the rear of the sump near the bottom engine mount.

Mine's recently started similar behaviour, but the fans don't kick in - I'm sure Peter's right about it only being connected to the water temp. IN my case the temp jumps from what you'd expect (about the same as the water) to about 110 then back, randomly. Suggests a poor earth, as a complete connection/disconnection would have the gauge going from one extreme to the other (0-150). Mind you, the sensor could be dodgy... I suspect in my case at least, the problem is an earth inside the instrument pack. The wire's certainly tight on the sensor.
    Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Tadpole

Default Erratic Oil temp gauge

Thanks for the response guys, unfortunately this is what i suspected!

This seems to be a universal problem!

Sorry for the late reply, i've been too busy at work.

What tyres are you guys using at the moment??

I've had Pirrelli's , Michelin's and now I'm experimenting with Firenza!!!

Seems a great tyre, can't wait to try it in the wet without the girlfriend on board!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew2
    What tyres are you guys using at the moment??

I've had Pirrelli's , Michelin's and now I'm experimenting with Firenza!!!

Seems a great tyre, can't wait to try it in the wet without the girlfriend on board!!!
    Hey Drew,
    I've got Continental Premium Contacts on mine - they seem pretty good so far. They're grippy and pull up well in the wet, squeal a bit on fast sharp corners though. They're wearing pretty well. I think they retail at around $200. Conti Sport Contacts are meant to be pretty good also - better perfomance than the Premium which is more of a touring tyre. Haven't used them but Goodyear EagleF1s are apparently pretty good on the Mi16 as well.
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

1000+ Posts

I've got Toyo Proxes FZ4 in 205/50-15 - I guess they're now an older tyre as the previous owner didn't do many miles. I'm not much of a tyre junkie, though. I'll probably change back to the stock size when they wear out.

I can't compare with anything else, but they really HOWL when you slide it, which is highly embarrassing. Quite controllable, though, with front/rear/front transfer at will on the throttle.

Incidentally, does anyone know if tyres are more prone to howling when they're slightly too wide for the rim?

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information