stereo install help...
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon9 stereo install help...

hi all i was wondering if any one has some hint on the way to get some audio and pwer cables from the front to the rear, with out to much hassle.

Advertisement

all the help you could think of woud be great...

thans

Isn't it just simply a case of drilling a small hole through the firewall, and threading the power cable through it ... a bit of door sill trim and carpet removal, and running the cable next to existing cables (though don't put the cable next to the antenna cable). It's easy enough in a 206 ... shouldn't be too much harder in a 306
    Then - 2001 206 Gti
    Now - 2000 306 Gti6
    Now - 1974 GS 1220 Club

1000+ Posts

My 2c is just to use some good crimps...

I.e. put the cable into the lug, crimp it & solder it, then use a bolt-nut combo to fasten.

Quote Originally Posted by lucin
    Isn't it just simply a case of drilling a small hole through the firewall, and threading the power cable through it ... a bit of door sill trim and carpet removal, and running the cable next to existing cables (though don't put the cable next to the antenna cable). It's easy enough in a 206 ... shouldn't be too much harder in a 306
    please don't do this!!!..... The brake lines run very close to the firewall in 306's. LUCIN, I'm an old car stereo installer (retired?) and 206 are VERY different cars in this respect, however YOUR POINT IS GENERALLY CORRECT FOR 75% of cars.
    Nate... what the hell are you on about. ..you dont crimp 12V DC cable together.... man thats what dodgy bros do, we need a cruise to calm you down boy... lol .

306XRBIGBASS - Here is my advice.

306's are a pig to install in, they also don't make good stereo cars unfortunately as the cheap interior doesn't make for good acoustics.
    BUT DONT GIVE UP, i used to have $7K worth of gear in my 306.

*** Now the RCA or audio leads need to run down the center of the car as there is power cables on either side that can cause alternator whine. Run them from the back of the deck downd behind the AC controls, behind the ash tray and under the carpet. Keep under the carpet all the way till you get to your amps. Avoid all other cables, but if you must come near other cables, try to do so at right angle (ie not along side each other).

*** Power cable>>> here is were it gets tricky, you can VERY carefully do as Lucin suggested and drill a hole in the firewall, the most common spot is behind the carpet in the foot well of the passenger side of the car. However like i said this is VERY close to the brake lines, and DON"T RECOMMEND IT.
    BUT I recomend you, pull the carpet away in the passanger footwell, and find the A/C drain, which is a black plastic pipe (viewed from the outside of the pipe) that goes through a large rubber grommet. This large grommet will expand to fit BIG cable (i have x2 4guage power cables thourgh mine).
    To do this rub some oil on the grommet, as best you can. Then using a cut up wire coat hanger try to poke it through. You are trying to follow the same path that the drain pipe takes, the idea is to share room in the grommet by expanding it. It will take a few goes but eventually you will get through. Once through tightly tape the power cable to the other end of the wire hanger; taper the part were the cable end and wire meet into a wedge, so that it grows evenly from the wire hanger to the cable. Then rub some more oil on the cable to allow for smooth penetration (keep your mind out the gutter). Now think about were this is going to show up on the other side, in the engine bay... once spotted use a budy to feed the power cable while you pull on it. Run that your in-line fuse (which you should mount within 30cm of your battery), and then from the fuse to the battery. On the other end run it down the passenger side of the car, under the carpet to your amp.

The NEXT MOST IMPORTANT thing is to sound deaden the front doors, make's a big diff to a 306, I have posted that before so you can do a search or PM for more/better info.

I know you asked for "with out too much hassle" but like I said 306's are not installation friendly. Sorry I know the feeling.... spesh from another 306 owner. - Chris

PS if any of the above dosn't make sense, just ask.
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    *** Power cable>>> here is were it gets tricky, you can VERY carefully do as Lucin suggested and drill a hole in the firewall, the most common spot is behind the carpet in the foot well of the passenger side of the car. However like i said this is VERY close to the brake lines, and DON"T RECOMMEND IT.
    BUT I recomend you, pull the carpet away in the passanger footwell, and find the A/C drain, which is a black plastic pipe (viewed from the outside of the pipe) that goes through a large rubber grommet. This large grommet will expand to fit BIG cable (i have x2 4guage power cables thourgh mine).
    This is sorta what i meant. In the 206 behing the glovebox there is a plastic bit which is quite easy and safe to drill through. hardest bit was taking out the glovebox. Thanks Chris for clearing it up
    Then - 2001 206 Gti
    Now - 2000 306 Gti6
    Now - 1974 GS 1220 Club

This is sorta what i meant. In the 206 behing the glovebox there is a plastic bit which is quite easy and safe to drill through. hardest bit was taking out the glovebox. Thanks Chris for clearing it up
    tis cool, unfortunately there is NO spare plastic/rubber caps on the 306. It was as if PSA knew that stereos sound shiite in 306's. The overall Q of a 306 is crappy and the rear hatch area for some reason creates allot of standing waves and depending on how the car is parked (ie wheels straight or turned, up hill down hill, hand brake on/off) changes the reasonant frequency too..... what a b'stard.- Chris

ps, why the green ? mark over the 206 in your avatar....
    Last edited by CHRI'S16; 4th February 2005 at 10:23 AM.
    ... ptui!

1000+ Posts

Dont crimp the cable...

When you join it, use i think they're called "Spade Lugs"...
    So you can bolt the cable to stuff & not stick it in terminal blocks & screw down on it etc...

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    ps, why the green ? mark over the 206 in your avatar....
    sometime this weekend a different car will take the place of the 206. I'm getting all excited and all
    Then - 2001 206 Gti
    Now - 2000 306 Gti6
    Now - 1974 GS 1220 Club

Icon10

sometime this weekend a different car will take the place of the 206. I'm getting all excited and all

ooooh whats Lucin gettin?????
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by David Shearer
    ooooh whats Lucin gettin?????
    Lucin is the name of my car, and will be heading down to my gf's driveway. I'm picking up a 306gti6 tomorrow ... to see what the fuss is all about. (And 'cos i can't afford a gti180!). The car is in really really good condition ... with a new set of goodyear f1 gds3's on it to boot!

Luan
    Then - 2001 206 Gti
    Now - 2000 306 Gti6
    Now - 1974 GS 1220 Club

Aww, man,

You're going backwards!
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    Aww, man,

You're going backwards!
    I know! In a few years time i'll be driving a turboe'd 504 and hopefully a citroen upsy-downsy car as well. Must be i'm getting more nostalgic as each year goes by
    Then - 2001 206 Gti
    Now - 2000 306 Gti6
    Now - 1974 GS 1220 Club

Nah, go straight for the Light 15.

Something with a bit of class.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information