More grunt for 203 needed
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default More grunt for 203 needed

I need more grunt from my 203

Does anyone have a twin-carb. manifold lying around, or know of anyone who makes them?

Advertisement

Any contacts greatly appreciated.
    95 MI16
    71 404 U10 ute
    66 404 coupe
    55 203C (gently warmed) gone... sold...

No doubt anyone who did make them has not done so for a long time...

I have one such manifold, and I had the patterns to make one to fit two SUs at one time, but they have been taken away from me (and destroyed, unfortunately)... I don't know if the one I have could be used as a pattern to make up another, probably it could with some effort. It's not in use at the moment, but it will be one day.

It's designed to use two original Solexes.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    No doubt anyone who did make them has not done so for a long time...

I have one such manifold, and I had the patterns to make one to fit two SUs at one time, but they have been taken away from me (and destroyed, unfortunately)... I don't know if the one I have could be used as a pattern to make up another, probably it could with some effort. It's not in use at the moment, but it will be one day.

It's designed to use two original Solexes.
    Hi Ray

twin solex was the set-up I was looking for. Is the one you have cast or fabricated?

Cheers

Tony
    95 MI16
    71 404 U10 ute
    66 404 coupe

Default More Grunt for 203..

The Nardi company of Italy had a manifold for the 203 that utilised 3 Solex carbs. With one mounted in its usual spot the other two on a special manifold opposite. It was a progressive arrangement,the single carb coping with normal performance, the twin carbs linked up for extra "choof".

One of our WA Club members made up a manifold for a 403 that had an early Weber DCD* on it. The manifold had a gentle sweep to it meaning the distributor had to be extended to clear.
    *As used on Fiat and early Cortina GT.

I haven't looked at it for a while, but I'm sure mine is cast... it has clearance for the oil filter too...

Years ago I had a home made one that had bent copper tubes (that didn't clear the oil cooler... it was cut down... and was brazed together with a platform to mount a twin choke Carter. Horrible thing, the carby was mounted sideways, so going hard around corners in one direction you'd get surge and lose power.

Once the copper broke away from the cover plate it was brazed to as well... but it was pretty old.

Nardi also made a 5-speed gearbox conversion with a natty floor change, Wildebeest... you got pictures of that?

Fellow Frogger!

Nardi also made a 5-speed gearbox conversion with a natty floor change, Wildebeest... you got pictures of that?
    A mate in Wellington has a 404 coupe with a Nardi floor change. Looks and feels brilliant
    95 MI16
    71 404 U10 ute
    66 404 coupe

But does it have their 5-speed conversion?

I've yet to see one of those...

Default More Grunt..

"I'm excited". No I haven't got any pics of that. There is a picture of the 3 carb Nardi manifold in one of those Auto Retro catalogues you must have?

I got very excited a time back when I bought some of those $7 plastic garden chairs from Tarjay.[Nothing but the best for maison Wildebeest].
    They had a label on them with, "Nardi, Made in Italy".

Oh, okay...

I saw it in a book that someone else had. Looked very neat, I think it even fitted the early 203s.

Fellow Frogger!

But does it have their 5-speed conversion?

I've yet to see one of those...

5 speed conversion!!! How did that work? I would pay lots of money and be prepared to lose bits of my anatomy for one.
    95 MI16
    71 404 U10 ute
    66 404 coupe

It's not impossible...

e.mail me and I'll explain. Note that I don't ask you to PM me, but e.mail me at [email protected]

Being in NZ you might stand a chance.

Default More Go For A 203

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi 03
    I need more grunt from my 203

Does anyone have a twin-carb. manifold lying around, or know of anyone who makes them?

Any contacts greatly appreciated.

Nobody has suggested a 403 engine swap and a bigger exhaust (mine was out the side behind the passengers side door. It very easy to do.

You could even fit a 404 carby to the 403 engine

If you have a 403 motor available I would give it serious consideration.

You don't have to drill holes in tha car so it could be back later if the car were being restored to original. You need to convert the throttle to a cable and make up a piece of pipe and a couple of rubber bends to join the 403 carby to the oilbath cleaner.

regards

Robert

Default BRAZED or SILVER SOLDERED ?

I haven't looked at it for a while, but I'm sure mine is cast... it has clearance for the oil filter too...

Years ago I had a home made one that had bent copper tubes (that didn't clear the oil cooler... it was cut down... and was brazed together with a platform to mount a twin choke Carter. Horrible thing, the carby was mounted sideways, so going hard around corners in one direction you'd get surge and lose power.

Once the copper broke away from the cover plate it was brazed to as well... but it was pretty old.

Must have been almost impossible to weld, since the filler rod is brass, an alloy of Cu and Zn and therefore melts at a higher temperature than the Cu.

Silver soldered p'raps ?

This would explain which it broke away from the m/steel cover plate. The tensile strength of silver solder is poor when it is a used as structural "fillet" around the joint. If it is filling a gap , such as copper pipe to pre-made fitting it is very strong.

l

Default more go '03

Hey kiwi '03,

if the door is open wider than just carb. conversion you might be interested to know that is/was very common practice to put 1800 piston and liners into the 203 block. Might bring a smile to your face.

cheers ed ge

alternatively Lucien Bianchi, Member 20five, has a dual throat manifold fitted to his 203 (with 1800 kit) and may supply a photo to help you out, try him on a PM.
    Last edited by edgedweller; 6th February 2005 at 12:33 AM.

Default 1600 203c

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller
    Hey kiwi '03,

if the door is open wider than just carb. conversion you might be interested to know that is/was very common practice to put 1800 piston and liners into the 203 block. Might bring a smile to your face.

cheers ed ge

alternatively Lucien Bianchi, Member 20five, has a dual throat manifold fitted to his 203 (with 1800 kit) and may supply a photo to help you out, try him on a PM.

The 404 liners can be fitted, but it requires some machining.

If you bore the block to the 1600 liner OD it gets too thin between the liners.

You really need to turn the 1600 liner to reduce the diam of the bottom of itr before boring the block to fit them. It's a bit of a juggle....

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

you also need to use a 'C' type block to put the 404 liners in

then you need to get head gaskets made to suit

then you have the trouble of having a fairly weak crankshaft to hold it all together

Graham Wallis' old 403 i am sure had the 1600 liners in it and i know others that have done it in the past

i know Gary Nisbet had a 1600 conversion in his white 203 that used to go fairly well as i travelled many a mile in that car
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    you also need to use a 'C' type block to put the 404 liners in

then you need to get head gaskets made to suit

then you have the trouble of having a fairly weak crankshaft to hold it all together

Graham Wallis' old 403 i am sure had the 1600 liners in it and i know others that have done it in the past

i know Gary Nisbet had a 1600 conversion in his white 203 that used to go fairly well as i travelled many a mile in that car
    I got 15 years of motorsport out of mine before I pulled it down. The upper big end bearings were starting to fatigue and the timing chain was falling apart but everything else was still OK. This engine with twin 40 DCOEs is going into my 203 project.
    You can use an A or C block but only a C block has the mounting lugs to suit a 403.
    84mm Head gaskets can be made by HJ Gaskets in Thomastown.
    You can use a 403 block which is stronger but you need to make up spacer rings to fit around the liners.
    Bearings seem to be no longer available so keep this in mind whatever you decide to do.
    I have a few sets but don't want to sell them separately as I am keeping them for rebuilds.
    Graham

Brian Lear orders bearings from Germany over the net... or did a year or so ago...

Fellow Frogger!

You can get the crankshaft nitrided to toughen it up a bit
    Graham Lewis

Thread Information