Performance Upgrades For PRV 2.8L
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Performance Upgrades For PRV 2.8L

G'Day All, I've got a '80 Volvo 262 Bertone with a PRV 2.8L, 4 speed/OD, KJet. It has the Volvo Lambda Sond catalytic converter on it. I'm looking to find any possible performance upgrades available. Are there any cams, improved dizzy over the US spec one, or exhaust headers/extractors available. Can the fuel distributor and pressure regulator be improved? I'd like to keep the engine looking as original as possible so I'd like to keep the KJet in lieu of carbs or Megasquirt. I think that the cams available anywhere else in the world are going to be better than the US cams as this engine had to deal with US smog specs. I can't find anything here in the US for performance for the PRV. Thanks and take care, Volvo Rick

Advertisement

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo Rick
    G'Day All, I've got a '80 Volvo 262 Bertone with a PRV 2.8L, 4 speed/OD, KJet. It has the Volvo Lambda Sond catalytic converter on it. I'm looking to find any possible performance upgrades available. Are there any cams, improved dizzy over the US spec one, or exhaust headers/extractors available. Can the fuel distributor and pressure regulator be improved? I'd like to keep the engine looking as original as possible so I'd like to keep the KJet in lieu of carbs or Megasquirt. I think that the cams available anywhere else in the world are going to be better than the US cams as this engine had to deal with US smog specs. I can't find anything here in the US for performance for the PRV. Thanks and take care, Volvo Rick

have you tried some of the Delorean people over there ?

i know there are quite a few cam profiles made up for them and as they are an identical motor to what you have they should work well

also they are a lot closer to you than we are
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Tadpole

Default Delorean Parts

The only Delorean performance outfit in the States is DMC in Houston and they won't sell parts or kits. They'll do a 130 hp to 200 hp improvement on your engine for $5000.00 but you have to take your car to them. That price is on your engine. For another $1800.00 they'll swap your motor for one of their crate motors. This is all non-turbo stuff. There is a twin turbo kit available from an outfit in New York for $8000.00. I'm hoping to find more info in this forum about reasonable improvements. Thanks for any and all help, Rick

there are a few Delorean groups on Yahoo and the like and quite a few websites and owners

the other thing you could do is wait for one of our Victorian members to see this and they might have some more info regarding cam profiles as they have a few turbo'd and fairly warm PRV6 engines down there that they have invested a lot of time into

there is also another bloke in the US that is a member here as well that has obtained some very nice outputs from his PRV6 as well
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Rick

Iíll respond here rather than via PM if thatís OK.
    Iím sure you are aware that the US versions of the PRV were both lower compression and lesser cam timing to meet your emission rules of the time, as it happens Australia by and large got similar detuned PRV V6 engines. I have never used K jet and cannot offer any advice on this aspect.

So given your criteria above I would suggest getting B27 Volvo or 604 Peugeot heads, this will increase the comp ratio by about 0.6 of a CR, so if your car is 8.2 to 1 it will go up to 8.8:1 etc. Port these heads, plug the exhaust recirc holes and get some mild cams made. At standard valve clearances you can get to about 75 degrees overlap, 310 degrees duration and 9.5mm lift and have the engine stay tractable. It is very difficult to get PRV cams ground accurately and there have been many failures by Australian cam grinders to get it right, the problem is normally the inconsistency between left and right banks in overlap or lobe centres.

The above will not blow your socks of it will rather just have noticeable extra poke and willingness to rev. As far as the turbo kits or extractors there are no kits in Australia for either of these they have all been hand made by the owners in most cases.
    OddfireV6
    504 V6 24V, 203

I think it's a good idea for the cam grinding people to see the head and rocker gear so they properly understand how the cam will work with these engines. I know Ivan Tighe asked me to take the whole thing in when I was proposing to do a rather hot 304 engine... and they're the same cam layout.

Tadpole

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies...What kind of exhaust do you run on your PRVs? Tube diameter? Anyone running true duals? Are there any other maker's stock exhaust manifolds that are an improvement over the Volvo's? I thought that Australia and Europe got the B28E, which is supposed to have a simpler fuel set up (no frequency valve/no oxygen sensor/no cat). Someone posted on one of the US Volvo forums that the B28E had raised top pistons instead of the flat ones that are in the B28F. Also the dizzys are supposedly different, as well as the cams. B28F 130hp, B28E 170hp. Can anyone confirm any of this. Thanks again for the replies, Volvo Rick
    Last edited by Volvo Rick; 4th February 2005 at 10:29 AM. Reason: BAd grammar

i have a set of volvo pistons in the 604 and yes they do have a raised top on them from an 81 model

i also run 604 heads on the car

as for exhaust manifolds i find the volvo ones aren't too bad in design as they are pretty free flowing but there are ones you can get from a 605 or XM that are more tubular in design

you need to find ZPJ engines and not the ZPJ4 as they are different again as they are a 24V engine and have 6 exhaust ports on each head where as you have 3

what CR i am running i don't know as i never measured it the engine that i got parts from was an 81 model

i just wanted the engine back in the car and running

i am also running the highest lift volvo cams which were in the 80 models

there is very little difference between the 80 and 81 models camshafts for lift but i have a few sets so i picked out the highest lift ones i had
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

farmerdave

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo Rick
    Thanks for the replies...What kind of exhaust do you run on your PRVs? Tube diameter? Anyone running true duals? Are there any other maker's stock exhaust manifolds that are an improvement over the Volvo's? I thought that Australia and Europe got the B28E, which is supposed to have a simpler fuel set up (no frequency valve/no oxygen sensor/no cat). Someone posted on one of the US Volvo forums that the B28E had raised top pistons instead of the flat ones that are in the B28F. Also the dizzys are supposedly different, as well as the cams. B28F 130hp, B28E 170hp. Can anyone confirm any of this. Thanks again for the replies, Volvo Rick
    Dunno about Australia, but NZ got B28e engines on local cars and B28f engines in those cars imported via Japan. You are correct in that there is no lambda control on the 28e engine, and the cams are different. Renault Z7V engines run 9.2:1 compression and a very mild cam but other ratios were available in different markets. The differences are in the piston height and shapes in this case.
    Have a look on the turbobricks forum, there is a bloke who has done some serious modification to a PRV- John Lane is the name, I think he visits here occasionally.

Regards,
    Farmerdave

Thread Information