mi16 build, comments?
  • Register
  • Help

Default mi16 build, comments?

gday, just looking for some ideas and opinions on my mi16 build thats planned, anywhere i should change tact?

-Full Rebuild on my 1.9 mi16, using everything OE
    -spacer plate to drop compression to approx 8.5:1 (how big does it need to be?)
    -Unichip piggyback ECU, my local tuner has assured me this setup will work
    -Turbo from RB20 skyline (ceramic wheel, quicker spooling)
    -custom steam pipe exhaust manifold (dads a welder)
    -dropping the air-con, replace condensor with intercooler
    -bonnet vents to deal with underbonnet heat
    -battery relocated to boot for extra engine bay room (done already)
    -uprated injectors (got my local bosch agent looking for drop in replacements)
    -uprated fuel pump

Advertisement

i know there will be an endless list of extra bits and pieces, but anything major that i should change?

ideas would be appreciated!

cheers
    '91 Peugeot 405 Mi16 - only just run in......

I'd use forged pistons and complete new ECU, Motec, Haltech, Autronic etc., not piggy back. You need to ditch the air flow meter. You can keep it looking stock by removing the internals. I know a guy who runs 8:1 forged pistons, 11 psi and Motec ECU with an otherwise stock engine. It makes 190hp @ 6500 at the wheels.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    I'd use forged pistons and complete new ECU, Motec, Haltech, Autronic etc., not piggy back. You need to ditch the air flow meter. You can keep it looking stock by removing the internals
    the reason for the piggy back is to retain as many of the factory functions as possible (dash lights, cold start, etc.) if a piggy back has the range of adjustment i need, wont it be fine??

as for the pistons, if i knew somewhere where i could get hold of some low comp. items, id go for it! but im having heaps of trouble sourcing some!

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bj_dove
    the reason for the piggy back is to retain as many of the factory functions as possible (dash lights, cold start, etc.) if a piggy back has the range of adjustment i need, wont it be fine??

as for the pistons, if i knew somewhere where i could get hold of some low comp. items, id go for it! but im having heaps of trouble sourcing some!

cheers
    The AFM is a major restriction and poor at sensing low RPM loads accurately. I run a Haltech ECU on mine with all the instruements and dash lights. Just cut off the Bosch ECU plug and graft on what ever ECU decide. I use the original sensors and added an AC Delco MAP sensor. All the aftermarket ECU's have cold start and a lot more advanced features. You'd have to look very hard at mine to pick it as modified.

The pistons aren't an issue. Get them made locally:

Australian Precision Engine Parts
    03 9887 1299

last quote I had was $1200 +GST

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

so how does the ecu go about signalling dash lights and all that sort of stuff?

also what model haltech is it, and an approximate price?

cheers

so how does the ecu go about signalling dash lights and all that sort of stuff?

also what model haltech is it, and an approximate price?

cheers

The ECU only signals one dash light, the diagnostic K light. All the guages etc. just happen to be in the same harness.

Mine is an older model, E6S. The latest model is an E6X, which retails around $1600.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

ah ok, thanks, that makes good sense in going for an aftermarket ecu then, thanks! ill give australian precision engine parts tomorrow and see what they quote me.

cheers

i went to visit the place that will be doing the tuning for me and they said around $2000 for the Haltech E6X with a 2bar map sensor.

what type of crank sensor does the mi16 use?

also when i go to get pistons, can i get some that will work with all the rest of the standard peugeot items? (liners, rings, pins, etc.?)

cheers

i went to visit the place that will be doing the tuning for me and they said around $2000 for the Haltech E6X with a 2bar map sensor.

what type of crank sensor does the mi16 use?

also when i go to get pistons, can i get some that will work with all the rest of the standard peugeot items? (liners, rings, pins, etc.?)

cheers
    Motronic missing tooth 58/2

Your new pistons will be supplied with new rings and pins. Get the new pistons made 0.5mm oversize, 83.50mm. Then get your std. liners bored to suit.

Are you talking with an engine builder about this?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

im in search of a machine shop/engine builder that im confident that is up to the task, being in hobart there isnt many specialty places around. does anybody know of any down here???

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    Just cut off the Bosch ECU plug and graft on what ever ECU decide.
    by this do you mean that the bosch ecu is removed completely? like it doesent have anything to do with things like climate control, etc.?

by this do you mean that the bosch ecu is removed completely? like it doesent have anything to do with things like climate control, etc.?
    Yes, cut it off and mount the new ECU in the same place, hidden under the plastic cover.

Climate control has it's own ECU.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

i see, yes i can see how its possible to have a standard looking engine bay in that case!

just another piston question..... if i get .5mm oversize pistons, is there a possibility of reusing my standard liners, wont any marks be bored out of it? or is it bad practise to reuse liners?...... if this is the case, what sort of price is a set of liners on their own?

cheers

How much boost do you plan on running? Id recomend getting a steel wheel turbo, i had an R32 Skyline (RB20) and upgraded to a HKS GT2530 ball bearing unit running 18PSI. The stock turbo off an RB20 doesnt like going over 14 - 15 PSI in most cases the ceramic wheel falls off in the exghaust housing and goes down the dump pipe to the cat.

Just a warning in case youre gonna run heaps of boost, best of luck mate and keep us posted, the pug should scream!
    1989 BX 16 Valve Mk1 - SOLD (And Missed)
    http://www.bx16v.cjb.net
    1992 R32 GTSt Skyline

yeah i think i might end up going for a steel wheeled turbo, all this talk of the ceramic ones is scaring me a bit! not that i plan on running astronomical amounts of boost, but it would be nice to have the option if i wanted to!

yes the pug will scream when its all done, though it might be a bit hectic in a front driver!

just got in touch with australian precision engine parts, they said about $280 each plus gst, which seems the median price. he said he'd check on what they've done in the past for peugeots as to if they have the specifications on hand, but in the case that they dont, can anybody supply me with the full 1.9 mi16 low-comp (8:1) specifications???

ps. just wanted to bump the question about the possibility of reusing my liners? considering that they will be bored out .5mm, i was thinking i might be able to?

cheers

What's your email address? I'll send you the spec. sheet I did for Wiseco. Yes you can bore the liners 0.5mm oversize, but you need to know what you're doing or they'll end up oval.

The liners need to be bored in the block, tensioned down with a plate, to simulate the assembled load from the head/head bolts.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

gday, just looking for some ideas and opinions on my mi16 build thats planned, anywhere i should change tact?

i know there will be an endless list of extra bits and pieces, but anything major that i should change?

ideas would be appreciated!

cheers
    Just suggesting things like;
    - Uprated clutch.
    - New belts allround.
    - New water pump.
    - Replacement engine mounts.
    - Check over driveline and braking components.
    - Baffled oil sump?? (peter what do you think). - Chris
    ... ptui!

CHRI'S16,

the engine is getting a full rebuild, so things like belts, water pump, mounts and the like will be done.

PeterT,
    i must sound like a broken record, but i wasnt sure if you were saying i can re-use my old liners and have them bored, or should i invest in a new set?

cheers

bumpy bump.....

BTW, PM sent PeterT with email.

Thread Information