mmm intake?
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: mmm intake?

Default mmm intake?

ive got a pod on my road gti and it does go harder than stock!

now i'm working on my track gti and dont know what to do, can you please explain how the stock intake can be better?

how does restriction increase power? (vortex) crap

its not even the restriction that bothers me so much about the stock intake, but its the bloody heat off the extractors, the air filter canister gets so hot, it works as an interheater, so much for cold air intake. when your moving my pod would give the engine more cooler air as there is alot more room now for air flow under my bonnet than stock.

Advertisement

dont even get me started on the heated throttle body, mine is long gone, explain the performance advantages of this? it aint cold in south oz.

does any one have any dyno results with intake plumbing mods?
    2008 Fiesta XR4 "ST150"
    -Cosworth cams, Cosworth intake manifold, CIA "K&N", Dream science, De-Cat, Eibach, Bilsteins, White Line sway bar "rear", EBC Rotors and pads, Goodridge brake lines, OZ Racing wheels, Toyo R1R

1964 S2a Land Rover LWB
    -Served with the 1st Australian Task Force, Vietnam, original condition

1994 S3 205 GTI
    -3L 406 V6 Conversion

2009 Husqvarna TE510
    -Blinged

Quote Originally Posted by casterbased
    I got 80kW at the wheels with the std. intake system. Seemed ok for me.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

now i'm working on my track gti and dont know what to do, can you please explain how the stock intake can be better?

how does restriction increase power? (vortex) crap

its not even the restriction that bothers me so much about the stock intake, but its the bloody heat off the extractors, the air filter canister gets so hot, it works as an interheater, so much for cold air intake. when your moving my pod would give the engine more cooler air as there is alot more room now for air flow under my bonnet than stock.

dont even get me started on the heated throttle body, mine is long gone, explain the performance advantages of this? it aint cold in south oz.

does any one have any dyno results with intake plumbing mods?
    well the air filter box might sit above the manifold but its not right on top,theres a good 6 inches or so of room.now i find the problem with the pod is you are drawing HOT air straight from the top of the engine even if its connected straight to the afm you still draw HOT ait from the top of the motor because it is an open system.
    i have seen another mod were a metal plate is put between the pod and the manifold[he only took off the filter canister and left the bent pipe]but it still draws hot air as it is still an open system.now i dont know about your air filter canister but mine only gets a little warm,not hot at all.
    makes more sense to me to draw cold air into a closed system even if its gets a liitle warm then draw HOT air into an open system.
    have you cut out the plastic bit from the grill that blocks the front air intake vent.?,this supposedly helps in drawing more air into the system although some say it dosnt make any difference.
    the attractive thing about the pods is the noise they make which sounds good as the air is violently being sucked into the thing,i have also heard of one k and n pod turning inside out and stalling the car after a particular fast run and it collapsing internally.-BAZZ

[IMG]
    i moved the afm, so my pod sits to the side of the engine where the battery used to be
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2008 Fiesta XR4 "ST150"
    -Cosworth cams, Cosworth intake manifold, CIA "K&N", Dream science, De-Cat, Eibach, Bilsteins, White Line sway bar "rear", EBC Rotors and pads, Goodridge brake lines, OZ Racing wheels, Toyo R1R

1964 S2a Land Rover LWB

1994 S3 205 GTI
    -3L 406 V6 Conversion

2009 Husqvarna TE510
    -Blinged

[IMG]
    i moved the afm, so my pod sits to the side of the engine where the battery used to be
    so did you pop the battery in the boot?
    i want to do this to leave more access to working on the thing.
    how much was it for the battery leads to extend down and did you put it in a box in the boot or just on a tray?
    ive also seen some people drill holes into the wheel arch under where the pod filter sits to draw cold air from wheel arch.-BAZZ

its in a box in the boot

all up it cost me about $80 to move it to the boot including the box and brackets etc

it doesnt look like the same engine bay, there so much room to work

i also canned the air con and the remote oil filter cooler, heaps more room
    2008 Fiesta XR4 "ST150"

1964 S2a Land Rover LWB

1994 S3 205 GTI
    -3L 406 V6 Conversion

2009 Husqvarna TE510
    -Blinged

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    so did you pop the battery in the boot?
    i want to do this to leave more access to working on the thing.
    how much was it for the battery leads to extend down and did you put it in a box in the boot or just on a tray?
    ive also seen some people drill holes into the wheel arch under where the pod filter sits to draw cold air from wheel arch.-BAZZ
    i might put some holes in the arch
    2008 Fiesta XR4 "ST150"

1964 S2a Land Rover LWB

1994 S3 205 GTI
    -3L 406 V6 Conversion

2009 Husqvarna TE510
    -Blinged

i might put some holes in the arch
    Don't do it!. I have datalogged the air temp with a Haltech ECU. There's no difference in ambient air temp and what goes into the engine.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Years ago when I had a fairly modified 205 GTI, I tried the car on the dyno with all the STD air filter in place but with a K&N element, and then with the pipe removed from the air flow meter, so deleting the STD filter assembly.
    The result was a 1Hp at the wheels increase over the stock arrangement. On a low reading dyno I had 101 Hp at the wheels. A pod just makes it sound like it has more Hp.

If you really want to improve things, dice the AFM and use a programmable ECU, or just follow the crowd in the 205/MI16 route.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    Don't do it!. I have datalogged the air temp with a Haltech ECU. There's no difference in ambient air temp and what goes into the engine.
    where is the temp sensor in the system?

also thats on the track isn't it?, on the road you get more heat soak due to being stopped alot

then again mine is going to be for the track too
    2008 Fiesta XR4 "ST150"

1964 S2a Land Rover LWB

1994 S3 205 GTI
    -3L 406 V6 Conversion

2009 Husqvarna TE510
    -Blinged

Unless you get some CAI for that POD you wont see much improvement. CAI makes a difference once youre moving and if your using this for track work do it! Or go back to an aftermarket panel filter.

My opinion is that PODS are all show. Some of the skyline enthuisiests have a massive thread on PODS/PANEL Filters and CAI:http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/for...&highlight=pod

Worked good for me in the Citroen and the Skyline
    1989 BX 16 Valve Mk1 - SOLD (And Missed)
    http://www.bx16v.cjb.net
    1992 R32 GTSt Skyline

Thread Information