505 GTI tyres
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 505 GTI tyres

WLB

Default 505 GTI tyres

Time for 2 new tyres on the Series-2 505.
    Any comments from experience please?
    Is it time to look at Michelin again? Have been using Pirelli & Dunlop since some bloody awful Michies some 5 or so years ago.

It's a 3-speed auto and my cornering-near-the-limit days are long behind me, however, I still want a decent tyre. Although throwing money away is not the plan either.

Any current opinions, good or bad, as it's also handy to know which ones to stay clear of too.

Advertisement

Thanks,
    Warwick.
    Last edited by WLB; 30th January 2005 at 12:59 PM.

Michelin MXV 8s, used and recommended.
    Good wear (80k km), excellent grip, wet and dry.
    I am on my second pair in two years.
    They are $175 each, (ouch, 8750X ).
    Still, I think they are worth it.
    Last edited by Gamma; 29th January 2005 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Can't count.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

WLB

Thanks Gamma, I'll have a look at them.

Number 2 son has just put a set of Yokohama C-Drives on his series 2. Size 195-65-15. He's very impressed with them so far. (After about 5000Km) Bought for about $140 ea in Melbourne.

Personally I'm running Pirellis on the GTi wagon, quite happy with their grip.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Has made it to the Hoist!
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

WLB

Thanks Pottsy,

I've been running 195/60R15 because that's what was on it when I got it. I'd better check the book. Is 65% standard? If so it would explain the speedo error; 104 at an indicated 110. I'd just put it down to the usual standard error. However, upping the gearing with 65% profiles will make the acceleration even more liesurely.

Which Pirellis?

P400 in 185-65 / 14. Roughly the same rolling radius as the specified 15 inchers on the original steel rims. I'm running 14's because that's the size of the mag wheels I had handy.

Can't say I've been too pedantic about gearing, it all seems to roll along well.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Has made it to the Hoist!
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

WLB

Ah. That's what I had on both the '83 SRDTs. Replaced the TRXs with 14" Cheviots and 14" steel rims. The GTI is one of those late '85 built, '87 registered pre-ULP cars with the 15" alloys.

Not that fussed about the slight diameter difference although if it's wrong, now's the time to fix it. Mainly a comment that the performance of the early 3-speeds isn't exactly sparkling.

The 60 profile is correct for the GTi.

I'm currently running BF Goodrich g-Force Sports all around and have to say I'm not too impressed with them. In the dry they handle reasonably well, but I've never really had much confidence in them to push them in the wet, they've just got a certain "feeling" about them once it gets a bit slippery.

They've given the steering a really loose feel, and the steering now tends to tramline and bump steer, something I hadn't experienced on the Hankook Optimos I'd had previously.

On the plus side, the tread pattern looks tough...

Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

1000+ Posts

Jason has yoko A539's on his, is very happy (when he can be persuaded to drive the 505 Gti).

WLB

Thanks Sergetov. All good info. Hadn't looked at Yokohama.

I had actually been thinking about Goodrich. Thanks Richard.

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

I'm surprised to hear that about the BF Goodriches Richard. They got a good write-up.

In this household we have three cars on Yoko 539s: my 504 which has virtually 505 GTi spec suspension/wheels, my brother's Alfa 75 on 16 inch rims, and my parents' Saab 9000. We're all happy with them, although I think they suit the 504 best. 539s aren't available any more anyway, but the C-Drive which has replaced them is supposed to be "three times better". So the guy at my regular tyre place said. I don't know what that means... three times more grip? Three times the cornering speed?? One third the roadnoise??? I think not. But they should be good I guess.

John
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

John, where was the write up? I'd be interested to see what they had to say about the Goodrichs.

For a while after I bought them, I thought I might have had a suspension problem that was making it feel the way it did. But it didn't make sense that it didn't feel that way before I fitted the tyres. I asked my mechanic about it and got him to check things out and he said he couldn't find anything wrong.

I'll be interested to see how the car feels when I get new tyres for it perhaps later this year.

Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

It was in one of the Wheels or Motor tyres tests, about six months ago or so...
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Also just confirming that 195/60 15 is the correct tyre size for the GTI.

My series 2 has always run Michelins, but I also heard and read good reports about the new Yokahama 'C' Drive tyre.

I must confess that the Series 2 suspension, steering etc has always given very sure footed handling even at high speeds, and I am not sure that another tyre would encourage me to explore the limits any further. So, I will probably stay with Michelin.

Incidentally, my speedo reading has always cross-checked within 1-2 km/hr, so suspect that your instrument needs a re-calibration.

My son with his 405 Mi16 recently could not get the Michelins he was after (without a few days wait), so opted for BF Goodrich tyres. Has been very impressed so far.

Cheers,
    Kim.

Quote Originally Posted by KIMDEB
    I must confess that the Series 2 suspension, steering etc has always given very sure footed handling even at high speeds.
    Here Here.
    Especially at high speed.
    What Michelins have you been using.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90

Quote Originally Posted by peujohn
    It was in one of the Wheels or Motor tyres tests, about six months ago or so...
    Yeah, I'm surprised to hear the comments too. It was in Wheels and it won the performance touring tyre category over the A539. The A539 won it the previous year. The c.drive is the A539 replacement, and I'm hearing nothing but good things about them.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

WLB

Incidentally, my speedo reading has always cross-checked within 1-2 km/hr, so suspect that your instrument needs a re-calibration.

My son with his 405 Mi16 recently could not get the Michelins he was after (without a few days wait), so opted for BF Goodrich tyres. Has been very impressed so far.
    It's only a couple of months ago that I checked it. It's quite linear still. About 6% high. Interestingly, the Range Rover has the same degree of error. At least it makes it easier to remember. Both speedos are worn and click with some needle flicker around 50-60, and both are known to have problems, and both are hard to fix. Both done around 200,000km too. I had a Magna in the early 90s and it read 10% high from new.

Which Goodrich tyre is everyone referring too?
    Anyone tried Riken? It's another Michelin company. I had a set on a VS Commodore about 7 years ago and found them quite good.

Keep the info coming,
    Thanks,
    Warwick.

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Hi Gamma,

Michelins are MXV3A's, run at 34psi around town, and 36psi on a trip.

Handling and grip are both very stable and predictable in wet and dry conditions. However, I always err on the side of caution anyway, as the car is such a joy to drive in any conditions.

The Series 2 suspension is just a tad harsh for dirt road conditions, whereas our '84 505 Executive (also on Michelins), is totally unflustered. Both cars, however, are used as bitumen only vehicles.

Cheers,

Kim.

Hi Gamma,

Michelins are MXV3A's, run at 34psi around town, and 36psi on a trip.

Handling and grip are both very stable and predictable in wet and dry conditions. However, I always err on the side of caution anyway, as the car is such a joy to drive in any conditions.

The Series 2 suspension is just a tad harsh for dirt road conditions, whereas our '84 505 Executive (also on Michelins), is totally unflustered. Both cars, however, are used as bitumen only vehicles.

Cheers,

Kim.
    I can not find the MXV3As' anymore. Discontinued. They were the origional set on the GTI-Highly recommended.

32psi is a bit soft, (tyre fitters setting) upped to 36psi-good and little hard but a good comprise. You can go to 40psi for long smooth touring on high quality roads, (like we are going to find miles of those).

The dirt on the 505 is from the birds, not the dirt. On dirt mine is a tad firm, just slide with the curves not roll with the Hatful xcells, (saw one on its lid near Appin @ 5:30hrs today--NASTY MESS.

Cared for, a 505 will last a long time and it is sole warming to see that there are others out there who love there 05s'.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90

Default Michelin Vs. the rest

I had Michelins on my Mi16 and thought they were awesome in the dry, a bit nerveracking in the wet. I think they were TRX's. I'm using 195/60/15 Dunlop LM702's on the 505 at the moment. Cheaper than Michelin or Pirrelli by about $40 per tyre, and I think equally as good. They're not a directional tyre either, which I'm not a big fan of. If pushed hard in the wet they (the Dunlops) do tend to let go fairly quickly with very little warning that they're having trouble holding on. It's usually only the rears anyway, so it keeps you one your toes without actually having a prang. That's win/win as far as I'm concerned.

Thread Information