205GTi engine mount
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    65

    Default 205GTi engine mount

    The other day I discovered a dent in my 'newly' painted bonnet that came from underneath. It also split the paint - not happy at all.

    It seems that the RH edge of the air filter housing had hit the bonnet due to failure of the RH engine mount (the one up high, at the end of the cylinder head). Colin Stark tells me this is a reasonably common failure. He sent me a new one overnight (thanks Colin).

    This is worth checking every now and then to avoid bonnet damage at least. Just put a trolley jack under the RH end of the sump (with a wood packer to prevent sump damage). Apply a little pressure to see if the mount pulls apart. Obviously you don't want to lift the entire car this way or you'll probably wreck a mount that was previously OK!

    I made up a special tool for unscrewing and re-torqueing the mount (possibly unnecessary) but if anyone wants to borrow it they can. Use my email or ring (I'm in PCCV) because I can go weeks (or even months - gulp) without checking this forum.

    Rick Dathan

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! bazgti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nth balwyn, victoria
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    thats a tough brake mate,its lovely when this sort of thing happens especially after a new paint job.
    tell me didnt you notice any movement in the block at all?did it just tear the rubber mount or something?
    i had all mine done over the last year because i could feel the block move around on hard acceleration.and also noticed the rubber limiters either side of top mount had been squished in a bit,a symptom of stuffed rubber mount if ever i saw one.
    a good test is too sit in your car with bonnet up and rev the motor while looking thru the gap at the bootom of the bonnrt to see how much the motor moves whem revving fast repeatedly.
    also i found after doing the one near the gearbox,it went into gear better.
    the limiter rubbers on either side of the top mount are very important to change after top mount has been changed as they help limit the block travel .if they are squashed at all they are not doing the job they are designed for.-BAZZ

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    65

    Default

    I didn't notice anything otherwise - normal gearshift, no clutch judder. The top stud of the engine mount has an integral steel cone under it that is normal bonded to (and buried inside) the rubber. Mine had separated. It looked like it had may have been like that for a while because there was some rubber missing. The limiter rubbers were still in good nick (I replaced them a couple of years ago). Incidently, I have a 6mm spacer behind the front-most limiter rubber to minimise engine movement.

    I'm not sure about your test for the main mount because the top of the motor goes back and forth under accel/deccel (the opposite reaction to the torque stay at the bottom of the motor).

    Rick

  4. #4
    Member MayheM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cheltenham, Melbourne VIC
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Speaking of Engine Mounts for the 205....
    I need to replace all mine as well. Where is the best place to get them from?
    I need to the do the lower mount as well... will I have to replace the entire mount or can I get a replacement bush to put in? (I don't fancy having to pull apart the driveshaft... or the price of the mount!)
    MayheM

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    65

    Default

    I buy all my bits from Colin Stark at Alpine Affaire in Ringwood (Melbourne). I live 150km from Melb so it is convenient for me to ring him and have stuff mailed overnight. Maybe there is someone closer to you.

    Alpine Affaire is in Thanet Court, Ringwood. Ph (03) 9879 1961.

    I also replaced the lower mount (torque reaction) bush a year or 2 ago. I also did not want to dismantle the drive shaft (as I was at a mate's place in Melb at the time) so I cut the old one out (using a die grinder), under the car. I then tried to hammer a new one in after heating the aluminium housing with an oxy torch, but it did not work. Luckily my mate had a welder and lathe so I made a puller to press it back in (while under the car), which worked well. As I figured I would never need it again, I gave it to Colin.

    I can mail you the tool for the top engine mount when you are ready for it.

    I don't know anything about the mount at the gearbox end.

    Rick

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •