The 205/40/17 Tyre thread
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,160

    Default The 205/40/17 Tyre thread

    I'll be looking for new rubber soon on my bling bling rims...

    The Yokies have lasted about 20,000k's & i cant wait to get rid of em!!!
    they were good at the start, but now have NO grip on em

    Advertisement


    Recommendations please!

  2. #2
    who? when? huh? GTI124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gordon, NSW
    Posts
    4,527

    Default

    Are you on the wear markers?

    The Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 is available in that size. Seems to be getting good comments.

    Michelin's Pilot Preceda would probably suit your car quite nicely, too. I'd prefer the Exalto's myself, though.

    Dunlop's Direzza DZ101 would also be on my list of considerations.
    - Lincoln

    Contribute to the World Community Grid.

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts David Shearer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Glenroy
    Posts
    1,141

    Icon10

    Quote Originally Posted by nate
    I'll be looking for new rubber soon on my bling bling rims...

    The Yokies have lasted about 20,000k's & i cant wait to get rid of em!!!
    they were good at the start, but now have NO grip on em

    Recommendations please!

    I've heard the P7000's aren't too bad. Well that's what a couple of 180 drivers know said
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

    Previous:

    05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

    Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

  4. #4
    Member Foxman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    73

    Icon10

    Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Are you on the wear markers?

    The Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 is available in that size. Seems to be getting good comments.

    Michelin's Pilot Preceda would probably suit your car quite nicely, too. I'd prefer the Exalto's myself, though.

    Dunlop's Direzza DZ101 would also be on my list of considerations.
    The Goodyear F1 GS-D3 are not available in that size in Australia. The Toyo T1-R/S are a good tyre so is the Kumho KU-15's. All comes down to if you want to spend $130 a tyre to $500 a tyre. The Toyo and the Kumhos both get good write ups. Kumho's are about $220 a tyre and the Toyo's are about $240.

    Grant.

  5. #5
    who? when? huh? GTI124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gordon, NSW
    Posts
    4,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxman
    The Goodyear F1 GS-D3 are not available in that size in Australia. The Toyo T1-R/S are a good tyre so is the Kumho KU-15's. All comes down to if you want to spend $130 a tyre to $500 a tyre. The Toyo and the Kumhos both get good write ups. Kumho's are about $220 a tyre and the Toyo's are about $240.

    Grant.
    Ah, I was checking a US site re: the Goodyears.

    This is the same size as the 180 isn't it? Do you have a load rating requirement for these tyres?

    The Toyos would be really nice. The T1S was great, I can imagine the T1R would be even better.

    If you're looking to save money, Sumitomo HTRZ IIs are a very nice tyre and would be under $200.

    Somehow I don't think Nate skimps on tyres though, so I'd be sticking to the Michelins or Dunlops...
    - Lincoln

    Contribute to the World Community Grid.

  6. #6
    Member Foxman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Ah, I was checking a US site re: the Goodyears.

    This is the same size as the 180 isn't it? Do you have a load rating requirement for these tyres?

    The Toyos would be really nice. The T1S was great, I can imagine the T1R would be even better.

    If you're looking to save money, Sumitomo HTRZ IIs are a very nice tyre and would be under $200.

    Somehow I don't think Nate skimps on tyres though, so I'd be sticking to the Michelins or Dunlops...
    The load rating on our tyres is 82 not sure what the speed rating is but me thinks its a V rating. Iam not sure about the Sumitomos as there more for heavier cars. Id be going for the Toyo's i just got the kumho KU-15 wanted the toyos but they didnt have any T1-S left and didnt have the new T1-Rs in australia so i went for the KU-15. But i must say wet grip isnt the best but in the dry like sh&t to a blanket mush better than the Contis i was running!!

    I wanted to get the Kumho K700 comp tyre but the load rating was 80 so i didn't bother.

    Grant.

    So linc when we going for this beer???

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts CHRI'S16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    Linc/foxman
    Can you get Pirelli Pzero asimetrico in the 205/40/17 size here in OZ?
    I was going to recommend these to Nate as I recently drove a MX5-SP on these tyres and thought WOW!; what a really great tyre, loads of feedback and makes handling cars (such as MX5's and Clio's) just that much better.
    Very good alround too, not too noisy and very progressive, they enhanced the dynamics of the MX rather than add thier own character, really impressed me (altough I never drove it in the rain..... shame) - Chris
    ... ptui!

  8. #8
    who? when? huh? GTI124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gordon, NSW
    Posts
    4,527

    Default

    Chris, neither of the Assimetricos are available in 205/40R17.

    According to Pirelli's Australian website there are no tyres in that size. The 307 XSI has the Rossos and although the tyres are meant to be very good, I don't think they are that impressive on the Pug... but it's probably the Pug more than the tyres.

    Grant, if the original's are 82, then a lot of the 205/40R17s will be under the load rating. The majority are 80.

    Can you get the Kumho MX's here? http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

    I'm not sure abot the heavy Sumi comment. I've driven them extensively on a Liberty and think they're an awesome value tyre. Great feel, really progressive. But, the Liberty is a fair bit bigger than the Clio... so I guess you've heard something I haven't?

    I was talking to Scott about tyres in this size the other day, as the 180 has a high load rating requirement. The Yoko AVS ES100, Michelin Pilot Preceda, Toyo T1R and Maxxis MA-Z1 (from Bob Jane - they're really really cheap) meet the load requirements of the Clio.

    The following do not:
    Kumho Ecsta 712
    Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
    Bridgestone Potenza S03
    Dunlop Direzza DZ101

    When you go to 17 it really looks like you start to have issues with the RSC and 180. Well, with the 180 you have no choice.

    Grant, re the beer, that sounds great. Do you think you'll be making the AF BBQ? I'll know in the next couple of days if I'm playing cricket that day. If I'm not I'll be there. Otherwise, I'll simply be there late in the day. Be nice to finally meet you
    - Lincoln

    Contribute to the World Community Grid.

  9. #9
    Member Foxman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Chris, neither of the Assimetricos are available in 205/40R17.

    According to Pirelli's Australian website there are no tyres in that size. The 307 XSI has the Rossos and although the tyres are meant to be very good, I don't think they are that impressive on the Pug... but it's probably the Pug more than the tyres.

    Grant, if the original's are 82, then a lot of the 205/40R17s will be under the load rating. The majority are 80.

    Can you get the Kumho MX's here? http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

    I'm not sure abot the heavy Sumi comment. I've driven them extensively on a Liberty and think they're an awesome value tyre. Great feel, really progressive. But, the Liberty is a fair bit bigger than the Clio... so I guess you've heard something I haven't?

    I was talking to Scott about tyres in this size the other day, as the 180 has a high load rating requirement. The Yoko AVS ES100, Michelin Pilot Preceda, Toyo T1R and Maxxis MA-Z1 (from Bob Jane - they're really really cheap) meet the load requirements of the Clio.

    The following do not:
    Kumho Ecsta 712
    Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
    Bridgestone Potenza S03
    Dunlop Direzza DZ101

    When you go to 17 it really looks like you start to have issues with the RSC and 180. Well, with the 180 you have no choice.

    Grant, re the beer, that sounds great. Do you think you'll be making the AF BBQ? I'll know in the next couple of days if I'm playing cricket that day. If I'm not I'll be there. Otherwise, I'll simply be there late in the day. Be nice to finally meet you
    Yes Linc you can get the Kumho MX KU-15's in Australia as i have a set of them on my RCS at the moment. Not sure if there are any left as i had trouble getting mine. With the sumi's my brother had them on his Astra and he said they were just abit hard and didnt stick the best.

    Not sure if ill make it to the BBQ next week as iam going Motorcross riding but mabye afterwards i might come down for a look that or ill be at the Great Northern Hotel. But yes it would be nice to finally meet!

    Grant

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,160

    Default

    Proxies T1 - $360 (eeep)
    Pilot Perceda - $300 (*grumble*)

    Load ratings...
    hmm i suppose we do use only 3 wheels a bit...

    I'm not looking for the greatest tyres, as i'll use my stockies for good drives (the car is SOOO much better on stockies)... i just need something thats good in the wet & doesnt turn the car into a boat...

  11. #11
    Member Foxman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nate
    Proxies T1 - $360 (eeep)
    Pilot Perceda - $300 (*grumble*)

    Load ratings...
    hmm i suppose we do use only 3 wheels a bit...

    I'm not looking for the greatest tyres, as i'll use my stockies for good drives (the car is SOOO much better on stockies)... i just need something thats good in the wet & doesnt turn the car into a boat...

    Where did you get that quote from nate??

    Try Blairs tyres at Bexley they are the largest sellers of Toyos so ive heard. Iam the opposite id rather have good ones on my 17's rather than 15's. My car feels much more responsive and turn in is much better than the stockies. Just my

    Grant

  12. #12
    who? when? huh? GTI124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gordon, NSW
    Posts
    4,527

    Default

    Nate, you should be able to get the Toyos for less than $300. Scott rang around and got them for under $290. I don't think my tyre guy gets Toyo though, but he does do Michelin.

    The Maxxis are... wait for it... $150 in 84W load rating! $150!!!!! I'd be getting those, really.

    If you're doing your serious work in the 15s... which I totally agree with. Then the Maxxis would work well... I mean are the Toyos really TWICE as good? I'd give 'em a go, just to give 'em a go.

    Grant, yeah mate. The Great Northern after the AF BBQ might be a good idea. The after party
    - Lincoln

    Contribute to the World Community Grid.

  13. #13
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,160

    Default

    Maxxis... as long as the wet weather is good they're the winners
    and if they're crap, then its mad heli's at Stanmore Maccas!

    mite see if i can con them into lettin me demo them first... putty run anyone?

    Cheers for the help

  14. #14
    who? when? huh? GTI124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gordon, NSW
    Posts
    4,527

    Default

    The road to Wollombi is pretty nice too... Putty can be prtty quiet... and is very nice at the Cessnock end... oh I do believe I can feel a cruise coming on
    - Lincoln

    Contribute to the World Community Grid.

  15. #15
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,160

    Default

    Good road?
    well i'm up for the Oxley again

    although...
    Raging bear with 3 points no cruise too much

  16. #16
    sans witticism SLC206's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    North Parramatta
    Posts
    3,995

    Default

    Come on guys, do some more research for me - I'll be up for new tyres in, say, 10k or so...
    Regards,

    Simon

    2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

    www.peugeotclub.asn.au

  17. #17
    who? when? huh? GTI124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gordon, NSW
    Posts
    4,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    Come on guys, do some more research for me - I'll be up for new tyres in, say, 10k or so...
    You want more?!!! You have the choice of 4 tyres! That's it!
    - Lincoln

    Contribute to the World Community Grid.

  18. #18
    who? when? huh? GTI124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gordon, NSW
    Posts
    4,527

    Default

    Nate, care to comment on why you didn't like the AVS ES100s? You said in another thread that you didn't think they suited the RSC. Can you elaborate further on this?
    - Lincoln

    Contribute to the World Community Grid.

  19. #19
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Nate, care to comment on why you didn't like the AVS ES100s? You said in another thread that you didn't think they suited the RSC. Can you elaborate further on this?
    Great in wet... disperse SOOOO much water compared to the stock tyre (HEAPS less aquaplaning)

    Cornering grip is NON-EXISTENT!!! great for the first few 1000 k's... after that apalling...
    When they start to let go they just completely give way & dont bother coming back till you've taken off 10km/h... you just oversteel all through the corner & slide everywhere

    Comparing to the stock michellins, they mich's have soooo much more corner grip, let you know when they let go, tell you when they're starting to let go, ask again to double check when you push harder & then progressively let go.... and come back as soon as you lift off...

    Just have no grip in corners... not sure if its cause they dont have blocks on the outside??? the T1R's have blocks on the outside for grip, so they seem to be a good solution....

  20. #20
    who? when? huh? GTI124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gordon, NSW
    Posts
    4,527

    Default

    That's very interesting Nate. Yokohama traditionally have less of a progressive feel than other tyres. Michelin are one of the best, apparently. Dunlops are very good and is what I like about them most.

    I'd be very interested to know how it goes with another tyre... as I feel some of the cornering issues are 17" related, but that's just my thought.
    - Lincoln

    Contribute to the World Community Grid.

  21. #21
    Fellow Frogger! qd180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sydney/Seven Hills/Down Under
    Posts
    220

    Default Kumho KU 19 and KU 21

    Hey guys,

    I was down at my local Tyre dood last week getting the wheels rotated and balanced (stoopid solid hub rimms on the 180)

    Theyve done 12K and one "hot" day wake field so the front and rear left are shagged....

    Anyway hes a big Kumho dealer, so i asked him about some new shoes....

    He said that for the 180 specs of 205/40/17 84W

    Kumho make 2 tyres

    1) KU 19 $215.00 (softer compound)
    2) KU 21 $195.00 (harder compound)
    both are asymetrical

    Theres been some talk about the KU 15's in this thread so far and from what i can under stand great in dry, suspect in wet

    Foxman are the KU 51 84W rated???

    Has anyone got thoughts, experiences, suggestions...
    Are they Good/bad?
    As these seem a good price
    "Racing is life, Everything else is just waiting" Steve McQueen 1930 - 1980

  22. #22
    Member Foxman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qd180
    Hey guys,

    I was down at my local Tyre dood last week getting the wheels rotated and balanced (stoopid solid hub rimms on the 180)

    Theyve done 12K and one "hot" day wake field so the front and rear left are shagged....

    Anyway hes a big Kumho dealer, so i asked him about some new shoes....

    He said that for the 180 specs of 205/40/17 84W

    Kumho make 2 tyres

    1) KU 19 $215.00 (softer compound)
    2) KU 21 $195.00 (harder compound)
    both are asymetrical

    Theres been some talk about the KU 15's in this thread so far and from what i can under stand great in dry, suspect in wet

    Foxman are the KU 51 84W rated???

    Has anyone got thoughts, experiences, suggestions...
    Are they Good/bad?
    As these seem a good price
    Yes the Kumho KU-15 are 84Y load rating. In the dry they are sensational in the wet they are ok nothing magnificant but i havent aquaplaned with the on so they carnt be that bad. Plus we havent had much rain lately.

    Grant
    Last edited by Foxman; 20th February 2005 at 08:41 PM.

  23. #23
    Fellow Frogger! qd180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sydney/Seven Hills/Down Under
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxman
    Yes the Kumho KU-15 are 84w load rating. In the dry they are sensational in the wet they are ok nothing magnificant but i havent aquaplaned with the on so they carnt be that bad. Plus we havent had much rain lately.

    Grant
    Thanks Grant,

    Can i ask how much they were per corner...

    Any recommendations on where to go to get them

    "Racing is life, Everything else is just waiting" Steve McQueen 1930 - 1980

  24. #24
    sans witticism SLC206's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    North Parramatta
    Posts
    3,995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxman
    Plus we havent had much rain lately.
    So it's your fault! For the last 3 days, every afternoon it's been bucketing down.
    Regards,

    Simon

    2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

    www.peugeotclub.asn.au

  25. #25
    who? when? huh? GTI124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gordon, NSW
    Posts
    4,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    So it's your fault! For the last 3 days, every afternoon it's been bucketing down.
    Speaking of bucketing down... I'm so impressed with my Continental ContiSportContacts in the rain.
    - Lincoln

    Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •