R20 rack "extreme danger" HELP
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Icon5 R20 rack "extreme danger" HELP

I replaced the rack on my R20 about 18 months ago and at the time I put in new rack to steering arm rods. I "locktited" or should that be "loctightened" them and did them up with the new special lock washers. Well whilst holidaying the passenger side rod fell out. On examining the rod it had come loose and the hardened rack had chewed out the thread on the rod enableing it to come completely out. Very scarey.
    What have I done wrong?

Advertisement

yikes! Its always been my fear that this would happen - the amount of thread that screws the tie rod into the rack shaft has always seemed minimal compared to the loads it must endure, and have always done them up quite tight and used heaps of loctite and made sure the locking tabs are good.

Maybe you didnt do them up tight enough? I use vice grips and do them up as tight as I can! (would be nice if they cast flats into the ball joint housing for a spanner.... )

or got a dud tie rod that was too soft?

It should have been clunking long before it let go I would have thought though....
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Haakon, No clunking so very scary. I am thinking about spotting a bit of weld on the problem.

Fellow Frogger!

On examination it appears the washer had broken on assembly causing the "join" to move and thereby resulting in the thread to be chewed out.

Thread Information