lowering seats 205gti
  • Register
  • Help

Default lowering seats 205gti

whats the best way to lower the seats in the gti?,i know you can take out the spacer washer for a little but do you have to get a new seat bracket made up?
    has anyone ever put a high/low seat adjuster in at all?>-BAZZ

Advertisement

Have alook at mine on the w/end bazz...
    Chris
    205gti

Icon4 Lowered seats=rice??

Baz??
    What the?
    I can remember back when I got my liscence,(1987) reading something about forward vision. You had to be able to see a point on the ground a certain distance in front of the vehicle for you to be at a legal and safe height to drive a car. How can rice boys see the road if they are sitting looking directly at the dash board?? or through the bl***y steering wheel??
    Hoping your thoughts aren't rice inspired.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    Baz??
    What the?
    I can remember back when I got my liscence,(1987) reading something about forward vision. You had to be able to see a point on the ground a certain distance in front of the vehicle for you to be at a legal and safe height to drive a car. How can rice boys see the road if they are sitting looking directly at the dash board?? or through the bl***y steering wheel??
    Hoping your thoughts aren't rice inspired.
    I don't know about Bazz, but I need all the headroom I can get with a helmet on in a 205...
    205gti

Never thought of it like that....
    Was just playing
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by casnell
    I don't know about Bazz, but I need all the headroom I can get with a helmet on in a 205...

yes,yes its got nothing to do with sitting in a ferrari type feel you dumbwad!!!.
    its got to do with me being 5' 10 in the old lingo and having an ELECFTRIC SUNROOF in mine wich brings the headlining down an extra two inches or so.and i cant sit up straight in the car with the stack hat on.
    i want to do some primary motorsport later this year and correct me if im wrong but the stack hat is esential.is it not and i dont want a creaked neck,
    have you ever driven a 205 or sat in one for very long?????????
    the seat is very high in the first place as it is set in rally mode already.i have a momo wheel on mine which is smaller the the usual and i wouldnt mine having my non racing seat set about an inch lower anyway.it would be good to have a seat hight adjustment on the 205 just like most other cars do anyway. my mate who is 6' 2 hits the lining in my car.-BAZZ

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    yes,yes its got nothing to do with sitting in a ferrari type feel you dumbwad!!!.
    its got to do with me being 5' 10 in the old lingo and having an ELECFTRIC SUNROOF in mine wich brings the headlining down an extra two inches or so.and i cant sit up straight in the car with the stack hat on.
    i want to do some primary motorsport later this year and correct me if im wrong but the stack hat is esential.is it not and i dont want a creaked neck,
    have you ever driven a 205 or sat in one for very long?????????
    the seat is very high in the first place as it is set in rally mode already.i have a momo wheel on mine which is smaller the the usual and i wouldnt mine having my non racing seat set about an inch lower anyway.it would be good to have a seat hight adjustment on the 205 just like most other cars do anyway. my mate who is 6' 2 hits the lining in my car.-BAZZ
    baz
    My race seat was custom fitted for me, im just over 5'11" and with a helmut on; it would press agains the roof (my S16 also has a sunroof). But when I had the cage fitted I also had the guys make low setting seat frames (fixed position) and hasn't been an issues since....
    But this dosn't answer your question, perhaps you could get one of those gti seats PeterT is giving away and have a go yourself (as long as you make it strong) - Chris
    ... ptui!

Try being 6'4" in a 405 Mi16. I am so happy I didn't get the sunroof.

I am interested if this can be done easily.

pips
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

The software said "Windows 98 or better". So I installed Linux.

1990 405 Mi16

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by pips

pips
    The 205 is actually one of the better Pugs for headroom. Try the back of a 604 with sun roof!
    Graham

al

Quote Originally Posted by pips

pips
    I'm 6'4'' too. I find that if you gel your hair to your scalp like pugsly in the adams family it helps...

Fellow Frogger!

Have alook at mine on the w/end bazz...
    Chris
    Chris - any suggestions? I'm too far away to have a look, but would like to find an answer to this too.
    unfrogged (for now)

Taking out the spacers is all I think you can do, which gains a centimetre, if you retain standard seats. I've got velo race seats on height adjustable mounts.
    Chris
    205gti

Hair? Is that a bad joke?

What hair I do have left, my head still looks abit like this guy

pips
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

The software said "Windows 98 or better". So I installed Linux.

1990 405 Mi16

Fellow Frogger!

Hey Chris, those Velo seats do you use the car on a daily basis or a track car only, I am thinking of aftermarket seat(s) in my 205 on custom brackets so I don't have to slouch when on the track but was thinking a fixed race seat for daily use might prove to be a bit of a pain after a while.
    05' Megane 225 Cup

I find the velo's great, but I have customised them a bit with spare foam. Very easy to do as the padding bits are only shut with velcro. I've driven to Canberra twice with them and no dramas, mind you you don't want to try and put a barge-arse in them, my sister-in-law borrowed it and we nearly couldn't get her out!lol!
    Actually they came out of the rally car at Canberra this year cos they were past the 5 year limit for FIA events, so they've had some tough 12 hour days and still comfy at the end!
    Chris
    Last edited by casnell; 25th January 2005 at 01:37 PM.
    205gti

I find the velo's great, but I have customised them a bit with spare foam. Very easy to do as the padding bits are only shut with velcro. I've driven to Canberra twice with them and no dramas, mind you you don't want to try and put a barge-arse in them, my sister-in-law borrowed it and we nearly couldn't get her out!lol!

Actually they came out of the rally car at Canberra this year cos they were past the 5 year limit for FIA events, so they've had some tough 12 hour days and still comfy at the end!
    Chris
    yes the velo are quite comfy,i have sat in chris's,but as he said you dont want to be a barge -arse.im gettin a little rotund around the middle these days and i had to squeeze in,not too much though.probably a good enough incentive for me to loose a bit of weight,get a real hard to get in seat and keep loosin weight till i fit in it,haha ha aha ha ha -BAZZ

Hi all, I should check aussiefrogs more often; there are some interesting topics.

I am 185cm (6'1" for those that got used to the imperial units before metric came in - in 1975 - and 30 years still isn't enough time to change over) and wearing a helmet meant leaning the seat too far back and squishing down into the seat. Even on the road it was a problem. The mirror always blocked some of my forward vision and the sunvisor couldn't be used properly - if I put it down I couldn't see anything.

I found that the bolt spacing between the seat base and the tilting mechanism was the same as between the tilting mechanism and the floor. Easy solution: remove the tilt mechanism. This lowered the back of the seat base by 28mm. Now I can sit normally with a helmet on, see under the mirror and use the sunvisor at a range of settings. It cost nothing, saves weight and maintains the same comfortable seats.

One drawback is getting into the back seats - still OK if you slide the seat forward and your friends are lithe.

Swapping the seats left to right puts the seatback adjusting knobs on the outside where they are easier to access after lowering the seats.

I put a spacer under the front mounting bolts to get the optimum thigh support for me (10mm) and later lowered the steering wheel (probably ~10mm).

I lied: there was a cost. I replaced the seatbelt wands because they sat too high. I think they annoyed me even before I lowered the seat but I don't remember for sure. The new wands are rigid types from a Nissan (?) that I modified and mounted differently. Now, of course I can't recommend this to anyone else unless they are a mechanical engineer with proficiency in this field. I do know that mine are better than original though.

Overall too, the whole seating arrangement is safer (at least for tall people like me).

Rick
    Last edited by Rick; 10th February 2005 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Hi all, I should check aussiefrogs more often; there are some interesting topics.

I am 185cm (6'1" for those that got used to the imperial units before metric came in - in 1975 - and 30 years still isn't enough time to change over) and wearing a helmet meant leaning the seat too far back and squishing down into the seat. Even on the road it was a problem. The

mirror always blocked some of my forward vision and the sunvisor couldn't be used properly - if I put it down I couldn't see anything.

I found that the bolt spacing between the seat base and the tilting mechanism was the same as between the tilting mechanism and the floor. Easy solution: remove the tilt mechanism. This lowered the back of the seat base by 28mm. Now I can sit normally with a helmet on, see under the mirror and use the sunvisor at a range of settings. It cost nothing, saves weight and maintains the same comfortable seats.

One drawback is getting into the back seats - still OK if you slide the seat forward and your friends are lithe. The seatback tilt knob is more awkward to use (I would love to convert it to a lever adjuster one day - especially good to improve rear seat access and for quick reclining for naps!). One or more plastic trims that used to hide the seat tilt mechanism were also chucked out.

I put a spacer under the front mounting bolts to get the optimum thigh support for me (10mm) and later lowered the steering wheel (probably ~10mm).

I lied: there was a cost. I replaced the seatbelt wands because they sat too high. I think they annoyed me even before I lowered the seat but I don't remember for sure. The new wands are rigid types from a Nissan (?) that I modified and mounted differently. Now, of course I can't recommend this to anyone else unless they are a mechanical engineer with proficiency in this field. I do know that mine are better than original though.

Overall too, the whole seating arrangement is safer (at least for tall people like me).

Rick
    ok mate metric might have come in ,in 1975 but i finished school in 1975 and when you have imperial drummed into you for 12 years it usually comes as second nature to think in imperial.
    i dont know when you finished or started school but i would nearly bet on it it was after 1975.
    in my hsc[higher school leaving certificate]we didnt have to do metric in our final exams even though it had been taught all year.
    when it comes to the car i think metric,when it comes to weights and measures i think in both,but alas my asddled old school brain only wants to calculate heights and distances in feet and inches.go figure!! and sue me.
    but more to the point your modification sounds good,any chance of piccys?????-BAZZ

Pics of what specifically? I can borrow a digital camera from work.

I haven't tried a helmet on in my car yet, and all this talk of other tall folk having issues has started to get me worried.

I was looking forward to sprint days this year, and it looks like i'll have to either get shorter, or modify my seat in some way.
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Pics of what specifically? I can borrow a digital camera from work.

maybe a shot showing the diff in height if passengers seat unless you did that too.
    or a shot of the finished job down low so as to see the seat on the track.-BAZZ

I swapped the seats left to right last weekend to make the seatback adjusting knobs more accessible. Don't know why I didn't do it when I first lowered the seats.

Now to attempt posting photos:

Side shot of driver's seat shows that I angled the seat base by aluminium spacers above and below the seat runners. The 3mm spacer above the runner at the back is needed to match the thickness of the seat belt wand mount on the other side.

The rear shot shows the new seat belt wands and how little clearance they have to the centre console.

Closeup of seat belt wand and its mount (blurry).

Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lowering seats 205gti-dscn1959.jpg   lowering seats 205gti-dscn1960.jpg   lowering seats 205gti-dscn1957.jpg  

More photos:

1. Showing that I have cut the rolled up leather edge and stitching so I could unroll the part that the seat belt wand mounting bracket will contact (so it sits flat).

2. View of seat belt wand and its (custom made) mounting bracket

3. Area under driver's seat. 10mm thick aluminium washers at the front to raise the front edge of the seat. A 1mm thick washer on top of the 'middle' left existing washer to allow for the new slope of the seat runner (so it doesn't bend when tightened). Longer screws for the front (grade 12.9 Unbrakos - use a hex key cut down for easy access). Torx bit, size T40, in 3/8" drive ratchet for original screws.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lowering seats 205gti-dscn1953.jpg   lowering seats 205gti-dscn1954.jpg   lowering seats 205gti-dscn1958.jpg  

Thread Information