lowering mi16 compression
  • Register
  • Help

Default lowering mi16 compression

gday
    just wondering if anybody has experience with LOWERING compression on the mi16. as in can any height be taken off the piston crown safely? my local performance place said 8.2 to 8.5:1 would be good to run 1bar of boost on, and said not to even think about thicker gaskets or spacer plates, because it will cause detonation. how else can i get it down??

Advertisement

cheers
    '91 Peugeot 405 Mi16 - only just run in......

Quote Originally Posted by bj_dove
    ... and said not to even think about thicker gaskets or spacer plates, because it will cause detonation...
    Detonation??? Maybe someone can fill me in, but I get the feeling they want to sell you some new low comp. pistons.

Will
    1990 205Gti
    1976 504 rally car (currently out of action)

apparently if you decrease the compression by the way of a spacer or thicker head gasket it will cause detonation, because the squish area is increased in a square fashion, rather than the nice combustion friendly shape that is the standard sqiush. it does seem to make sense, but they are the first ive heard such a thing from.

Fellow Frogger!

Have had detonation from a copper head gasket that intruded into the combustion chamber and made a hot spot but as long as it was no further in than the id of the liner wall can't see that there would be a problem. Thewy may be trying to snow you.

Chris.

im doing a complete rebuild anyway, so if they are trying to sell me pistons, then good! some genuine low comp ones would be better than modifying anything.

can anything be done with the head to lower comp.?

cheers

Thread Information