what engine?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: what engine?

Tadpole

Default what engine?

Guys this is the deal, i want a faster, more powerful car. i've got a 1988 505 sr thats cool but too slow and thirsty. Now i've read the threads about modding and cold carbing and rejetting and now am more confused than ever. i simply want an engine thats more fuel effecient powerful and torquey than the 8 valver on my Peugeot. which engine will give me all these with the least amount of modification? i guess it has to be a longitudinal straight four mounted at 60 degrees to be as close to the current engine as possible but has to be injected and multi-valved for fuel efficiency. Please help me out

Advertisement

Default Wish List....

Quote Originally Posted by adrianne
    Guys this is the deal, i want a faster, more powerful car. i've got a 1988 505 sr thats cool but too slow and thirsty. Now i've read the threads about modding and cold carbing and rejetting and now am more confused than ever. i simply want an engine thats more fuel effecient powerful and torquey than the 8 valver on my Peugeot. which engine will give me all these with the least amount of modification? i guess it has to be a longitudinal straight four mounted at 60 degrees to be as close to the current engine as possible but has to be injected and multi-valved for fuel efficiency. Please help me out
    Hi Adrianne,

You post aptly describes what all of us would like: a quick fix to an existing Peugeot engine to double it's power output.

Take my word for it: it ain't going to happen !

Technical and performance forum gives tips and advice of what others have done to improve their cars.

Have a look at Daves' site
    http://www.geocities.com/davemcbean/fiveohsindex.html
    Which discusses mods to Pug engines and fitting of non Pug engines.

There is also a Peugeot project with Nissan(?) engine conversion.
    in the forum

Good luck & best wishes in your engine works

regards

Rob

Hey Adrianne,

unfortunately technology hasn't changed since your last post, the options remain the same and you either need to get to unerstand them or know someone who does, put you credit card in someone elses hands and get another motor adapted, or buy another vehicle.

From memory, your vehicle when new probabley developed 105 hp, as it ages, runs out of tune it may only produce 85hp.

Fit extractor system, open exhaust, add 10hp $400
    Fit thermo fan, add 5hp $150
    Fit larger carbie jets, add 5hp $150
    Fit cold air intake, add 2hp $100
    Full service, new plugs, points, leads, condensor, tune etc, add 2hp $350

Total cost $1150, HP increase possible 24hp to 130hp, approx 25% increase in power at similar fuel economy.

That is as good as the story get unless you start to modify the engine.

Of course I know next to nothing of circumstances in Kenya and this may all be double dutch to you, or completely unobtainable, but it is the nature of the internal combustion engine.

cheers ed ge

At least the proposed extra 24hp is all surplus power... that is it will be totally devoted to added performance as the existing power covers what the car's doing now.

Tadpole

All thats available here only its bloody expensive. And i think my car started of with about 80 hp not 105. will converting it to fuel injection help do you think? it costs about 1000 Australian dolooars or so (50K in the local currency) and whats the best fuel injection system for it single or multi port? what about fitting a coil to each cylinder and doing away with the distributor?

i might be way off track here, so forgive me if i am... but why not look at the alloy block Mi16 and a BA10/5, somewhat dificult, but from what i've read baring driling a few extra holes in the bellhousing, i've heard that an Mi16 will bolt up to a BA10/5. Ofcourse, things like engine mounts etc, would have to be fabricated, but it would give you around 160hp with not much change in the weight balance of the car. it would also allow for a lot more engine modifications.
    Last edited by orestes; 19th January 2005 at 12:16 AM.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

PRV6

no need to say anymore

135hp standard in good condition with plenty more to play with if need be
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Orestes,

That was Adrianne's first question on AF.

At what price, hybridizing means engineering?

How many people on this forum dealing with M16 Problems?

Adrianne, what motor is in your vehicle now, how many kilometres, what condition is the motor in?

You might be able to fit a PVR 6 for $1000, if your clever.

Any power increase should be matched by optimizing braking, steering and suspension, another $1000.

cheers ed ge

Tadpole

The engine i'am currently running has done about 60,000 kms but the last owner didnt take very good care of the car (He stuffed a piece of old tubing in the suspension arm in lieu of a bush!!) It is the 2 litre 8 valve push rod with a solex twin barrel carb. In other words bog standard. about that v6 i hear its thirstier than the four pot carbie

Yes, that is one of the prices of larger capacity motors.

You could easily exchange the solex carbie for a duel throat weber to achieve more power with better economy, add another 5hp to my previous estimates.

ed

60,000 kms is very low, motor shouild be able to be sweetened up easily, full service and tune first. Adrianne it is very important that cars be maintained to give good performance. If you were to put a V8 motor in your car and didn't service it, in 60,000 kms you would be complaining about its loosing power.

You haven't said but I'm quessing your car is an automatic, it takes power to push these, especially in a relatively heavy car.

These rear wheel drive Peugeots were built for long legged reliability, handling, comfort etc not powering around.

Hang on there a second, Adrianne...

You mention sixty degrees... is yours a diesel? As in SRD?

The petrol engine lies over at 45 degrees... with RHD it's nicer if it stands up a bit straighter than that.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

even if it was a diesel it would still lean over at 45 but as he mentions a carby so i'd say it's a petrol engine

the V6 in good form and tune should return high 20 miles per gallon
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Tadpole

The car is a manual petrol driven SR. The Weber carb is a good idea and i will probably fit one in next week but i ask again would'nt changing the car to injection be better? Am guessing here but wouldnt i just have to change the intake manifold and buy an ecu giving me better power and fuel effeciency in one fell swoop?

You'd get better results if you used a fuel injection head as well... they have separate inlet ports.

There would be a lot of them around there, I should think, with the Bosch K-jetronic injection on them. Adapting from there should be simple. A bit harder if you use the older Kugelfischer manifolds etc.

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    PRV6

no need to say anymore

135hp standard in good condition with plenty more to play with if need be

couldn't have put it better myself rambo. a V6 in a 505 is a magic machine. You always have the option for a turbo later too.
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

Originally posted by pugrambo
    even if it was a diesel it would still lean over at 45.....
    I thought it was fifteen... it's certainly not 45.

Tadpole

i think the fuel injected head is a great idea, ta Bell. Can someone walk me through the process of and parts required thereof to turn my gas guzzling 2 litre 8 valve solex carburreted 505 engine into an efficient fuel injected one without losing (hopefully gaining) power? we,ve got pretty decent mechanics here in Kenya but they tend to rip you off if you dont know what you are talking about so any help would be greatly appreciated.

You are best advised to get some bits off that K-jetronic model and then work from there... do a search in this forum for a thread about Megasquirt and you'll quickly work out some of the tricks and who to ask directly.

From the K-jetronic engine you should get the electronic distributor, head and all the injection gear. Some you won't be using, some you will.

Probably you'll look at getting a camshaft ground, so grab a spare to play with... others might advise you further.

Default Lhd/rhd???

Hi Adrianne,
    You are i Kenya. Are your cars left or right hand drive?? If left, the turbo option would be relativly easy for you, as Puegeot had a turbo option for 505 in the USA (and Europe I think.)All this info is also on Daves sight, reffered to earlier. There is a guy here in Aus with a turbo engine for sale, so they are available, I know he imported it himself. Check E-bay, that is a good palce to start. RIght hand drive turbo conversions are more difficult due to the steering gear.
    Also, being a 1988 505, it most probably already has the fuel injection head fitted. Does the inlet manifold from the carburettor have 4 seperate branches? If so, you are part way there already. This would also be a good engine to use for a rebuild using a carburettor, because the 4 branch manifold is much more efficent and better flowing than the standard carb manifold fitted to early 505 engines. This manifold/head combination would work well with a weber carburettor, and a good set of extractors, that may get you out of the hole for a while, till you work out what you want to do next.
    Have fun.
    Chris.
    Last edited by HONG KONG PUGGY; 24th January 2005 at 06:51 PM.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Tadpole

Our cars in Kenya including mine are right hand drive so the turbo option is out as for the inlet manifold its exactly like you describe and i have already identified a place where i can get a weber carb, just one question and forgive my ignorance but what is an extractor?

Default Extractors??

Hi again,
    Sorry about that. I guess extractors is a term we use here in Australia more than most other places. I should have said headers. A good set of 4>1 headers, (exhaust manifold) would be a good match up for the weber and the 4 seperate inlet head. Did you look at Dave's site, he talks about camshaft modification also, and which cam profile works best with a particular head/carbie combimation. Fuel Injection is a complicated path for the unskilled or faint hearted and best left to the very committed.

Cheers, Chris
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    Hi again,
    Sorry about that. I guess extractors is a term we use here in Australia more than most other places. I should have said headers. A good set of 4>1 headers, (exhaust manifold) would be a good match up for the weber and the 4 seperate inlet head. Did you look at Dave's site, he talks about camshaft modification also, and which cam profile works best with a particular head/carbie combimation. Fuel Injection is a complicated path for the unskilled or faint hearted and best left to the very committed.

Cheers, Chris
    K -Jetronic XN motors are only really found in the USA where pollution laws are enforced. You could find a wrecked 504 TI and fit the engine and fuel system from that. This is easy and cheap as long as you are lucky enough to find a suitable 504 engine.
    As a further advance you could then convert this to electronic injection by modfiying the manifold to fit electonic injectors, fitting the various sensors needed by the EFI system and then install a cheap fuel only ECU.

Graham

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information