non stop 404 wipers
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default non stop 404 wipers

My 404 ute wipers seem to be possessed. Trun them off and they carry on as normal. The only way to stop them is to get out and grab the l/h wiper at athe end of it's travel end pull it down some more. This does the trick. i have tried another motor but that does the same thing.

Advertisement

Where do I go from here???
    95 MI16
    71 404 U10 ute
    66 404 coupe
    55 203C (gently warmed) gone... sold...

Default Wipers

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi 03
    My 404 ute wipers seem to be possessed. Trun them off and they carry on as normal. The only way to stop them is to get out and grab the l/h wiper at athe end of it's travel end pull it down some more. This does the trick. i have tried another motor but that does the same thing.

Where do I go from here???
    Hi Kiwi,

I think your problem it is tied up with the parking switch.

From memory the wipers have two circuits. One is from ignition switch power which which is controlled by the wiper switch in the car.

The other is always on power (but still thru the ignition switch)

When the wipers are "on" power is fed via the cabin switch and they operate.

When they are turned "off" the park switch powers them via the always on circuit until they park and they stop once they reach the park because the park switch opens.

If they never reach the park position they will never stop.

I would investigate if a wiper has slipped on the shaft and is jamming the mechanics thus stopping tthe motor reaching park position.

Take both arms off & check it the motor parks (stops). Then put them back. (a little above the screen to allow for lash in the mechanics)

regards

Robert

Added to Roberts hints: climb in upsidedown and check the wire to the rear of the left hand wiper shaft up under the dash.. They may have become dislodged leaving the parking circuit open. This depends wether you have that circuit in your particular ute. Alternatively disconnect the switch and test the circuit and the parking position for the cutout to be "activated".
    Bon chance
    Phil

Default non stop wipers

Hi Kiwi
    I had the same problem on my Reno. If it is the same make of motor, which is very possible, the brake on the armature is not strong enough. If you open it up you will see that there is a spring that puts tension on a part of the 'field' that will stop the armature at that specific point. There is 2 additional settings for the spring to increase the braking effect. Move the spring 1 set up and try it.
    If there is a 'click' noise when the wipers are switched off at the end of the wiper travel, this will be your solution because the click noise is the brake that is trying to stop the wipers but before it comes to a standstill, it is past the stop stage and does another cycle.
    Good luck
    Frans
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Thread Information