403 part
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 403 part

Default 403 part

Looking for a source for the cable that operates the horn switch at the bottom of the steering column. Any pointers?

Advertisement

WLB

I might have one Garry.
    Will check on the weekend.

Warwick.

Check with alpine or acreid... they must have a 403 in their collections somewhere... and close to home. Ask also about what John Thorne might have.

It's actually a rod, I think it has a thread at each end. At a pinch you could make one.

It is just great to hear of enthusiasts restoring "great" old cars.

In the mid sixties, when I first started driving, I was a Renault enthusiast and my closest friend was a Peugeot enthusiast. We both were rally enthusiast and alternatively used our own cars.

Two thoughts return about 403s. (I also owned a couple.)

Firstly, in my friend's 403 stationwagon, the only way to get the horn to blow was to push in the clutch. As you know, the end of the steering column and the clutch don't seem to be particularly related. Repairs, cleaning, replacement with new parts or swearing didn't ever solve the problem. In the end, it was rewired and a horn button fitted. The French are brilliant engineers, but terrible electricians.

The second thought is that the 403 is one of the best cars I have ever driven on a dirt road. At 60-70mph on wheel rutted roads, you could take your hands off the wheel and not the slighest sign of "tram lining", just straight ahead if you please.

In one of the "state champion rally events", in a section just north of Newcastle, I was driving on this occasion in one of my 403s, we came around a corner at a little over 70mph. (We were behind time and a little lost.) It was pre-compulsory-seatbelt days - but we always wore them. Across the road the DMR (RTA today) had dumped three truck loads of gravel (Unmarked). With all wheels locked, we hit the gravel at 45mph and buried it up to the windscreen wipers. From 45 mph to 0 mph in the length of the bonnet!

XXX&***#!! What happened? After a few other words of relief we hopped out to survey the damage. Some people pay big money to have their mudguards flared. But that was all that had happened, so we pushed them back into place, a quick reverse, then back up to 70mph.

Gee I loved my 'pug'. At another time I was just driving along at about 50 mph, when the bonnet of the Morris Minor in front of me came up over his roof and was coming straight at me. I hit the brakes and threw the pug sideways so that it wouldn't come throught the winscreen. It missed me. A little further on I thought the pug was handling somewhat strangely.

Upon inspection, I found that in throwing the car sideways I had bent the transverse panhard rod that located the rear end. One wheel was outside its mudguard. How it got there I'll never know. The 50 mile trip home was 'fun' and boringly uneventful, except for the strange looks.

You have a great car. Treasure it and love it with all your heart.

I hope you solve your problem.

Man, you got it easy...

I had to slide into a gutter to bend my Panhard rod!

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Check with alpine or acreid... they must have a 403 in their collections somewhere... and close to home. Ask also about what John Thorne might have.

It's actually a rod, I think it has a thread at each end. At a pinch you could make one.
    I have one if the other leads fall through.
    Graham

Default Bent Panhard Rods

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Man, you got it easy...

I had to slide into a gutter to bend my Panhard rod!

I drove over the side of a bridge siding (in my 203c) that bent it too!

My 403 has had a button fitted to the dash for the horn.
    I spent most of today on the wiring as none of the lights worked properly. I now have everything excpet the interior light and the right headlight working perfectly. They are going to be a real pain....
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

WLB

Quote Originally Posted by WLB
    I might have one Garry.
    Will check on the weekend.

Warwick.
    Sorry, can't find it anywhere.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by WLB
    Sorry, can't find it anywhere.
    I threw one out the other day in a car I was wrecking (not much worth saving) but should have another, let me know if you still want it.
    Graham

Thread Information