Fuego front clunk clunk!!
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Fuego front clunk clunk!!

Have just purchased Fuego 1985, but have what sounds like front wheel bearing noises - steering wheel straight ahead, clunk clunk, turning right sound is worse, turning left noise goes away. Don't think it is CVs? Understand new hub required if bearings. Is this an easy job to be tackled by amateur? Or do I need professional help?

Advertisement

Would appreciate any advice. thanks. John

1000+ Posts

John, have a look at my thread under "Drive shaft goes rum, rum" in the Renault forum...!

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Check the driveshaft inner joint (either side), it could be in the process of self desctruction. Grab the driveshaft, and see if there is a lot of play between that and the yoke of the driveshaft that goes into the gearbox.

As for the hub bearings, if it does turn out to be that, it depends on how amateur you are. Probably either buy a Haynes manual (if you don't already have one) or go to the library and see if there is one available. The bearing unit fits into the hub carrier.

Tadpole

Well loose wheel nuts give the same noise. Went to check which wheel was making noise and a hint was being able to loosen wheel nuts by finger. Had the same occur on my R10 rear wheel some time ago. Before panicking should check the simple things. Thanks all!

1000+ Posts

Addex54

You just laid out my philosophy as a Fuego owner. Nine tenths of the time a dreaded expensive noise will cured by a simple fix -try the easy ones first and mostly that is the end of the problem.

So often on these forums new Fuego owners worry themselves into expensive cures/strip downs etc when minor correction will ensure happy motoring for years to come!!

UK ebay has cheap Haynes Fuego manuals, as long as you get them sent at the Royal mail "small packet" rate (can send up to 3kg of printed material by that cheap rate) or up to 2kg for "small packet" rates - don't let them quote "parcelforce" rates as that is bloody expensive!!

Ken

Thread Information