505 SLi temperature switch/sender
  • Register
  • Help

Default 505 SLi temperature switch/sender

I have bought a 1986 505 SLi wagon to keep the 1984 STi company. Am now fixing up a few bugs before baby number three arrives.

On the SLi, there is a small manifold bolted to the rocker cover (the auxillary air control is bolted to it) through which runs coolant. This manifold has two temperature sensors in it - one with two connectors (a switch I presume) and the other with only one connector. Can someone please tell me if the second one is a temperature sender or a switch (say for a high temperature warning light)?

I want to test this unit to see if its OK. An ohmmeter indicates open circuit between the single connector and the manifold. I am hoping, therefore, that this is indeed a switch and not a sender! (Genuine replacement is $150!!! ).

I think the temperature gauge on the dash is controlled by the temperature sender screwed into the water pump (reads 3.5 kohms between connector and water pump).

Advertisement

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I think the sender in the water pump will be something to do with the injection...

On every XN-type head I've ever seen, the sender is at the back of the head on the inlet manifold side, right near the heater outlet.

On 504 XN engines, the dashboard temperature guage is operated from the sensor on the back of the head, behind the intake manifold.

On 505 XN engines, the temperature guage on the dashboard is driven from the sensor in the water pump, whereas the sensor in the back of the head is used for the "STOP" light and overheating light on the dashboard.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Default case closed

FWIW,

I discovered what this mystery SLi switch is: Its the 18 degrees celcius thermoswitch for emission control. When the coolant temp is above 18 degrees the switch is open. Below this temp the switch closes to ground. The other other switch on this manifold (the one with two connectors) is the 25 degrees celcius thermoswitch. I am not sure of the function of this second switch.

This manifold (mounted on top of the rocker cover) is referred to as the 'expansion chamber'.

Happy Pugging.

Default erratum

the two pin thermoswitch on the expansion vessel is actually swtiched at 40 deg C not 25 deg C as I originally indicated. This switch tells the ECU if the engine is warm or not.

Thread Information