mi16 > 205gti
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: mi16 > 205gti

Tadpole

Default mi16 > 205gti

im thinking of putting a mi16 into my 205gti.
    i have found a guy wrecking a 405 and asked if he had the engine.

"Have a complete and running 140KM 1993 Mi 16 engine and gearbox. N w cam belt and clutch at 120KM, goes great, pulls strongly to 7000RPM.

$2500.00 for the complete unit."

price is nzd. anyone know if this is about right for a complete mi16?
    would i need everything or can i use some of my 205 gti parts to make the price cheaper?

Advertisement

do they use the same engine mounts or would i need to fiddle around with them?
    would be great if someone who has done this conversion (or knows how) could tell me what's needed to be done

Quote Originally Posted by davey o
    im thinking of putting a mi16 into my 205gti.
    i have found a guy wrecking a 405 and asked if he had the engine.

"Have a complete and running 140KM 1993 Mi 16 engine and gearbox. N w cam belt and clutch at 120KM, goes great, pulls strongly to 7000RPM.

$2500.00 for the complete unit."

price is nzd. anyone know if this is about right for a complete mi16?
    would i need everything or can i use some of my 205 gti parts to make the price cheaper?

do they use the same engine mounts or would i need to fiddle around with them?
    would be great if someone who has done this conversion (or knows how) could tell me what's needed to be done
    you need to move the radiator down,chop off some 1-2 inches of air intake and weld it back together,cut a bit out of firewall to acomidate new manifold.will fit on same mounts,same sive block but 16 valves.
    new engine mounts so it wont move engine which can hit brake master cylander.
    but ive not actually done it just have enquired about it
    pm peter t as he has and is in ther middle of doing another-BAZZ

I wouldnt get that motor as its the Cast iron block and much heavier. If you are going to tune it to more that 230hp i would stick with the cost iron. Other wise its reallt pointless. Its a relitive easy conversion. But as bazz said. You need to either lower the radiator a fair bit. Or cut about 2 inches out of the inlet manifold. You also have to modify the exhaust so it wont hit the bulkhead. Best way is to get a wedge plate made up to angle the exhaust down steeper. Also keep the 405 clutch unit as its much stronger than the 205 one. What model 205 do you have. If you have a S1 or S2 you will need to do just about a complete re wire of the harnesses. You will also need to uprade the front drive shafts, hubs and brakes.

Good Luck
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Tadpole

i have an 89 1.9. i think series 2. if i got a 405 mi16 donor car could i just use those hubs/driveshafts/brakes? or citreon bx 16v?

how much hp can the all alloy block handle before getting too unreliable for daily driver?

Fellow Frogger!

Default Mi16/205

Hi Davey, the price is about right for a good Mi unit in NZ, but would pay you to get in touch with Greg Kent Automotive in Diana drive Glenfield, Greg is I reckon the best when it comes to Peugeot, specially 205, 405 etc. If you have watched Targa coverage you will know of Greg Winkleys 504, Don Hadfields 405 and others. Most have Greg Kent input. He has probably forgotten more than most of us have yet learned!

Quote Originally Posted by cam85
    I wouldnt get that motor as its the Cast iron block and much heavier.
    i heard this, and after doing some inquiring i found it isn't much heavier as i thought (50+Kg) its only 19Kgs heavier, peterT confirmed this as well. and of a couple of pug mechanics i've talked to, find the sleeves in the alloy motor can drop and what not and cause a few probs (these being major ones). just to put in a few kind words for the iron block.

but u can always be a purist, with a nice alloy engine... but its easier to find a low Km iron (Mi16/s16) engine than the alloy Mi16s. newer ECUs as well. but it can be an easier conversion, as its a tried an true method, with the alloy Mi16s in regards to electrical (more basic) etc.

i haven driven two 205 Mi16s without a shorten manifold, close, but still clear. they were daily drivers, NOT track cars though. bigger brakes is a must. see if you can get all the gear from a 306, pugs a modular. they fit.

food 4 thought
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

Thread Information