Window Washer Motor
  • Register
  • Help

Default Window Washer Motor

Just bought myself a 405 Mi16. And loving every minute of driving it.

But there are some issues with the car.

The one I mainly want to ask about it the window washer pump (motor). Can this item be replaced by some universal (supercheap auto) part or will I have to go to a pug dealer to get the exact (albeit), overpriced pump.

Advertisement

Can this be opened and the motor taken out? I ask this because I was taught to fix something before replacing it. And if (just by looking at it) the motor is the same variety I find at Jaycar or Dick Smith, I can fix this part for around $3 and my time, which I don't mind doing.

Thanks
    pips
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

The software said "Windows 98 or better". So I installed Linux.

1990 405 Mi16

1000+ Posts

pips, the choice is yours. I say this because mine had a universal pump inserted in the line with the original still there, and it worked fine. However, I repaired mine - see this thread:

Mi16 Wiper Relay

One thing I didn't mention in that thread (and which is important!) is that the lower bearing, which is a brass bush fixed on the shaft, running in plastic in the body and lubricated by the washer water, was jamming in the plastic housing because it was going too low into the plastic housing. This is probably through wear in the plastic housing.

I fixed this by pressing a tiny, very thin brass washer onto the brass bush on the shaft, so that the brass couldn't jam in the lower plastic bearing housing. There's a step on the brass bit which holds the washer nicely. You'll see what I mean when you pull it apart. I used waterproof bearing grease for lube.

Works perfectly now.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Cool

I read the thread of yours. I also noticed that the washer motor get about 4V DC when its off, then 12.x V when I use it.

I thought it was bizarre that there was 4V sitting there. But from what your refered to post says, this seems common.

I'll just take the motor off and see what it is, based on that, either head off to Jaycar for a new motor or Supercheap for a universal pump.

thanks
    pips
    Last edited by pips; 3rd January 2005 at 04:19 PM.
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

1990 405 Mi16

1000+ Posts

pips, one reason to repair (or stick with original) is that the pump housing seals in a rubber grommet in the water bottle. I know it's an easy thing to get around, but original is neater.

Stu

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Oh, most definately.

I come from a mechanical background where I was taught to fix something first. Then if nothing works, its time to consider replacing it.

pips

1990 405 Mi16

Thread Information