505 GTI Central locking
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Icon5 505 GTI Central locking

The master central locking mechanism (drivers door) has failed, causing the door operating / locking system to jam. As a result, the only door I can open is the passenger side front.

All other related locking servos remain in the locked position, including the boot lid and the petrol flap.

Obviously, I need to remove the trim from the drivers side front door to investigate the cause of the jam (a job for the morning). Has anyone done this with the door stuck in the closed position?

Advertisement

Also, has anyone had this type of failure? I am suspecting that the motor servo has jammed, preventing the door lock system to function, and thus send a release signal to all other locking servos (except the passenger front), which is independent of the master - ie can be opened with the key without unlocking the other doors, boot etc.

Cheers,
    Kim.

Quote Originally Posted by KIMDEB
    The master central locking mechanism (drivers door) has failed, causing the door operating / locking system to jam. As a result, the only door I can open is the passenger side front.

All other related locking servos remain in the locked position, including the boot lid and the petrol flap.

Obviously, I need to remove the trim from the drivers side front door to investigate the cause of the jam (a job for the morning). Has anyone done this with the door stuck in the closed position?

Also, has anyone had this type of failure? I am suspecting that the motor servo has jammed, preventing the door lock system to function, and thus send a release signal to all other locking servos (except the passenger front), which is independent of the master - ie can be opened with the key without unlocking the other doors, boot etc.

Cheers,
    Kim.

There is a central locking controller box located under the dash below the steering wheel. It may be possible to electrically trigger the drivers door to open. You will need a wiring diagram to see which wire is the correct one. I have had this problem in the past and the problem has either been caused by the linkages being out of adjustment or the sensing mechanism in in the solenoid not working. Each time I was able to open the door by the above method. It would be near on impossible to remove the door trim without the door open without wrecking it.

Good Luck

Jarrod

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Hi Jarrod,

Thanks for the information re the central locking controller.

When you refer to using this controller to activate the doors, did you provide power to a specific wire? Just a bit more info, if you can.

Many thanks - Happy New Year.

Kim.

Icon7

Would this be the box you are talking about? I haven't got my workshop manual at the moment so I can't look up the pinouts. This one was sitting to the left of the steering column up under the dash.

Matt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 505 GTI Central locking-box01a.jpg   505 GTI Central locking-box02a.jpg  
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Quote Originally Posted by KIMDEB
    Hi Jarrod,

Thanks for the information re the central locking controller.

When you refer to using this controller to activate the doors, did you provide power to a specific wire? Just a bit more info, if you can.

Many thanks - Happy New Year.

Kim.
    The box in the photo posted by Ralph is the one. I can't remember what I did as it was about 8 years ago, and I dont have a wiring diagram any more. What I probably did was study the wiring diagram and work out what the box did and how it controlled the solenoids and then applied 12 volts to the appropiate wire. If you unplug the box first you are unlikely to cause any damage apart from a blown fuse if you put 12 volts on a grounded wire. The easiest way to work it out would be to measure some voltages on someone elses working car as the drivers key is turned.

Sorry I cant be more help

Jarrod

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Hi Jarrod,

I will follow a logical analysis as per the controller wiring.

My only worry will be if there is a mechanical defect in the drivers side locking mechanism which will prevent the servo motor from physically moving the latch to the unlock position. This door has occasionally been springing to the half-latched position when cruising at 100km/hr. I suspect the external locking plate has been the problem.

I will post my progress or any further problems.

Thanks for everyones replies so far.

Cheers,
    Kim.

Thread Information