rear wheel alignment ?
  • Register
  • Help

Default rear wheel alignment ?

are there any adjustments for rear wheel alignment in the 205 gti?i was noticing in the panel beaters report they made provisions for a rear wheel ASLIGNMENT.not alignment inspection but a rear wheel alignment.was just wondering???????

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

They use a jig and/or plan measurements and/or plumb bob and hydraulic apparatus to pull the chassis into alignment.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Therefore it would be fairly expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    They use a jig and/or plan measurements and/or plumb bob and hydraulic apparatus to pull the chassis into alignment.

they are not pushing the thing back into shape as it was not hit hard enough to do any damage to the suspension,i didnt even feel when i was apart from a small tap at the rear. i think they are just making sure the rear wheels are in alignment.i was thinking along the lines of a pedders type machine that calculates the tracking and camber ect-BAZZ
    Last edited by bazgti; 3rd January 2005 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Therefore it would be fairly expensive?
    not an issue,im not paying for it.-BAZZ

That wasn't my point...

A normal front wheel alignment is something like $35 to $50. If they do the rear, with it being more difficult to adjust, then the price would be higher... if the quote is genuine and not an 'extra' to get them a few bucks out of the insurer.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

wheel alignments are done on just about every car that enters a panel shop that has had a hit front or rear

as for the rear alignment it will be just a check to make sure it is right as it is chekced when they are making sure the front is bieng checked

i don't think the rear has provisions to be adjusted so it will be a check more so than getting an alignment done
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    they are not pushing the thing back into shape as it was not hit hard enough to do any damage to the suspension,i didnt even feel when i was apart from a small tap at the rear. i think they are just making sure the rear wheels are in alignment.i was thinking along the lines of a pedders type machine that calculates the tracking and camber ect-BAZZ
    Oh yeah, they'll check the alignment for sure - or they should! You mentioned also performing an alignment in your first question.

It's not the suspension that necessarily gets damaged. If the monocoque is pushed out of place where any of the mounting points are - it only has to be a couple of millimetres - the alignment will be out and it can't be left as is. When there's no adjustment built in, or the built in adjustment on cars that have it hasn't got the range to compensate for the damage, then they'll bend the monocoque. It's fairly common.

Stuey.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    That wasn't my point...

A normal front wheel alignment is something like $35 to $50. If they do the rear, with it being more difficult to adjust, then the price would be higher... if the quote is genuine and not an 'extra' to get them a few bucks out of the insurer.
    point taken . of course they are padding out the job,there is a few other things i found as well in the quote.but whadaryagonnado???.its not my insurance that is paying for it was my point in that it wont make much difference to me but i was wondering what adjustments were possible so as to armed with the correct info in the future.-BAZZ

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Oh yeah, they'll check the alignment for sure - or they should! You mentioned also performing an alignment in your first question.

It's not the suspension that necessarily gets damaged. If the monocoque is pushed out of place where any of the mounting points are - it only has to be a couple of millimetres - the alignment will be out and it can't be left as is. When there's no adjustment built in, or the built in adjustment on cars that have it hasn't got the range to compensate for the damage, then they'll bend the monocoque. It's fairly common.

Stuey.
    ok that may be the case but it was not an impact of any significance.it was just the angle it was hit from that made it come off.the irons are not even moved in the slightest.
    i apreciatr your info but i would be very surprised if any damage has been done to the monocoque.-ta -BAZZ

Thread Information