404 gear linkage setup?
  • Register
  • Help

Default 404 gear linkage setup?

Ok Its now 17:52 and after a days attempting to set up the selectors which has included three column removals to compare measurements on other columns I have dispaired and boiled the kettle for a brew.
    Can someone enlighten me on the distance measurement for the long (adjustable) rod and the short rod. Also whats the relationship of the horseshoe control in the neutral position to the column. How far should it be from the shaft. I thought I had it right the second time but was about 5 minutes out on the rotation.
    I have an original from a donor car to compare but i think the long shaft is not set far enough.

Any suggestions ( constructive ones please!!)

I'll finish the brew, watch some more depressing footage of the damage up top ( I was in Darwin fore the clean up so I can relate to their problems) then refresh my thoughts and tackle the link again.

Advertisement

Bon chance.
    Phil

Default Gear Lever Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Whitton
    Ok Its now 17:52 and after a days attempting to set up the selectors which has included three column removals to compare measurements on other columns I have dispaired and boiled the kettle for a brew.
    Can someone enlighten me on the distance measurement for the long (adjustable) rod and the short rod. Also whats the relationship of the horseshoe control in the neutral position to the column. How far should it be from the shaft. I thought I had it right the second time but was about 5 minutes out on the rotation.
    I have an original from a donor car to compare but i think the long shaft is not set far enough.

I'll finish the brew, watch some more depressing footage of the damage up top ( I was in Darwin fore the clean up so I can relate to their problems) then refresh my thoughts and tackle the link again.

Bon chance.
    Phil
    Hi Phil,

Is your 404 a late model with a BA7 ?

If it is, then I will measure up tomorrow morning, before I continue welding, and post details back.

I've washed up for the day & can't climb under the car again today without copping much shite. (one trail of dirt through the house a day is enough !)

I just hope the measurements on mine are roughly correct... I recall that all gears were roughly in their place.

regards

Rob

Pretty close to 37cm, Phil... best as I could measure it...

That's from the tip of the front end (including the socket piece) to the centre of the bolt that clamps the gearbox end.

The camera was held level for this shot... you might get the idea...

Hope that helps.

Icon10

Ok thanks I've measured it and wound it out and have some success. Then was directed to dinner as I was the cook.
    More tomorrow or some time next year...........what a frightening thought: next year already.

so to be the first ...HApPY NEW YEAR.

Bon Chance to all..

It was the least I could do for you, Phil...

Hope it comes together.

Bon chance.
    Phil
    Hi Phil

If you are still stuck I can send you scanned images of the Peugeot workshop manual which show all the dimensions in good detail. I tried to scan them in and post them but when I reduced the file to fit you couldn't read any of the text.

Jarrod

Default Peugeot "parts d'origine" 404 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by jarrods
    Hi Phil

If you are still stuck I can send you scanned images of the Peugeot workshop manual which show all the dimensions in good detail. I tried to scan them in and post them but when I reduced the file to fit you couldn't read any of the text.

Jarrod

Hi Jarrods

You have a PEUGEOT workshop manual. What do have to do to get a copy !!!!

Very useful for body mechanical stuff for the 404 !

regards

Rob

Default 404 linkage set up?

Quote Originally Posted by robmac
    Hi Jarrods

regards

Rob
    Unless the gearshift assembly has been completely removed for o/haul it shouldn't be necessary to adjust linkages ?
    Or, did someone neglect to punch mark the lever to shaft spline position before grinding back the welded on nut?
    You will find out quick enough when you have it all back together and the gearstick. [1] Touches the windscreen. [2] Hits your left knee.

If the above is the case I can see the only way out is to closely scrutinise one of your spare column / linkage assemblies for the gear lever, lower column lever relation.

Re the ownership of Peugeot Manuals Manuals de atellier et pieces de origami . To be in posession of these is akin to owning the Dead Sea Scrolls.
    My manuals came from the clearout of a defrocked dealership.
    I'm sure that others will agree that the parts manuals are more use than the workshop manuals when it comes to some jobs, and what about the small trim and paint swatches?

Bon chance.
    Phil
    Don't forget to strengthen the rod which is welded to the steering column surround. It may already have been welded back on.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by robmac
    Hi Jarrods

regards

Rob
    The manual I have is a good copy of an original. You are welcome to borrow it and copy it as long as you don't keep it for to long and I get it back in its present condition.
    I also have loose leaf copies of Peugeot 404 Technical Description and Characteristics and Intereurope 404 Workshop Manual if you want those as well.

What I dont have and would dearly love is a copy of the 404 parts manual. Can anyone help with this?

Jarrod

Default 404 gear linkage etc..

Quote Originally Posted by jarrods
    The manual I have is a good copy of an original. You are welcome to borrow it and copy it as long as you don't keep it for to long and I get it back in its present condition.
    I also have loose leaf copies of Peugeot 404 Technical Description and Characteristics and Intereurope 404 Workshop Manual if you want those as well.

What I dont have and would dearly love is a copy of the 404 parts manual. Can anyone help with this?

Jarrod
    Jarrod,
    Are you a member of the Vic. Peugeot Club. If not,why not?
    They possibly would have this in their library, they may let you copy it. It would take a trees worth of paper to copy the two books though !
    If you work for the Govt you could get it copied in vellum and leather bound.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    Jarrod,
    Are you a member of the Vic. Peugeot Club. If not,why not?
    They possibly would have this in their library, they may let you copy it. It would take a trees worth of paper to copy the two books though !
    If you work for the Govt you could get it copied in vellum and leather bound.
    Yes I am a member and they probably do have it although I think they frown upon people copying it. If everyone did it it wouldn't be long before the collection was in tatters. But I will ask anyway. I think in the past they have organized professional copies to be made of similar items

Jarrod

Originally posted by Pug Lover
    Don't forget to strengthen the rod which is welded to the steering column surround. It may already have been welded back on.
    Phil has a number of steering columns... I was there the other week actually borrowing one from him because of 'lock issues' with my 404...

He even explained to me about this... all those years I drove 404s and never had any problems!

OK Back again and thanks for all the info.

Note to Jarrod and Robmac. I have several parts of the "Parts Original" books which covers all of the parts diagrams> The history is I bought a rear ended 504 from City Autos and on opening the boot found a complete set of books. These complimented my old set from Baker Gadd's many years before.
    I am happy to provide copies of the needed pages as Copyright is long expired but wont be back in the office for another 2 weeks.
    Send me your emails and I'll scan them in.

As to the gwear links: Last night took a greater toll on the ageing body than usual so today was slack in the pool and watching old videos.
    More tomorrow..........................

I have a factory 404 manual too, but sadly for the early version. It came withmy 404. I would also dearly love a parts manual. Does anyone have one who would like to scan it to CD and sell a few of them? I am sure there would be a few who would like them.
    I do have a manual and parts manuals for 403 if anyone wants a scan of the exploded diagrams. I don't have computer technology good enough to put it on CD however. I don't even have a CD burner, only a 6x CD drive

I think the PCCV may have got some 404 parts manuals reprinted a few years ago and were selling them for around $100, but I am not sure on this. Are there any PCCV members here who might know?
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

I believe pugrambo told me yesterday that he will soon be doing the 404 manual onto CD.

Thread Information