Peugeot 306 engine swaps
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Peugeot 306 engine swaps

Hi guys, im looking for some technical information regarding engine swaps into peuegot 306s

my brother just moved to russia and left me with a '98 306 style with no engine.

he previously had a performance engine in there with aftermarket management, but sold that when he left, leaving me a car with no wheels and no engine.

i work at a dealership in adelaide which has citroen as a franchise, so maybe there is a citroen engine that fits in? im saying this because i may be able to source cheap citroen ones.

what are my options if i want a 2.0l 16v engine that would fit the 5 speed 'box i got left with, or are the 16v engines too expensive, or incompatible with the 5 speeder he had on the worked 8v 1.8?

im looking for the cheapest way to get this car on the road, but if there is a half cut of a 16v that i can get my hands on for under 7 grand that would be better

so can you guys point out the engines that fit in the 306 and point out any half cuts people may have around australia

cheers

Advertisement

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

so where did the turbo motor go ?

i'd say the 16V engines from the N3 306's or equivalent cit's should fit but you may need to just check the bell housings out to make sure they are the same between the 2 marques
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Tadpole

Icon10 engine swaps

what about the 2.0 8v turbo, do you guys get citreon xm`s in oz

their really good power when tuned a bit i`m getting 197bhp with 194 Ib/ft torque.

or a well build mi16 is a good engine aswell

james.

Ants

from what ive heard, its possible to put the V6 from the 406 into the 306, its a tight fit, but it can be done.

although im assuming hat it would be costly, however well worth it

I would say the easiest performance engine to get a hold of would be the 100kw 2.0l from the XSi and XT, then followed by the 116kw 2.0l XU10J4 from the S16/MI16 (S2). Price might be a problem though. You could even try the XU10J4RS 124kw 2.0l equivilent from the Xsara VTS though I'm gussing you'd be paying big money for one of these.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by frogmechanic
    I work at a dealership in adelaide which has citroen as a franchise
    so you work at Prestige then ? Crashed any Maserati's recently

I'm looking for the cheapest way to get this car on the road, but if there is a half cut of a 16v that i can get my hands on for under 7 grand that would be better
    the hard thing here - is that you're left without any wiring harnesses or anything. Hance a good portion of your money is required for a Full half-cut or an aftermarket management system.

basically any engine from a 306 or Xsara will fit without too much hassle. So you have the choice of anything from 1.1 to 2.0, 8v or 16v, petrol or diesel.

My recommendations lie in :
    [ranked by expenditure]

EW10J4S - 130 KW, 203 Nm - 206 GTi 180, 307 CC Sport

XU10J4RS - 124 KW, 193 Nm - 306 GTi6, Xsara CoupeVTS

XU10J4 - 116 KW, Nm - 306 S16, Xsa...

... actually i'm going to stop there because i have no idea if your gearbox is going to mate up to anything ????

Quote Originally Posted by XsaraVTS

EW10J4S - 130 KW, 203 Nm - 206 GTi 180, 307 CC Sport
    This engine is a different mount from what I know and is a major job to fit.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

In NSW you can't fit an engine from an earlier model anyway. ie you can't put anything pre '98 into a '98 car. There's always blue slip engineers who bend the rules however.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Tadpole

ok, just serviced a citroen xantia turbo ct, when i popped the hood the engine looked very similar to the 1.8 8v 306 engine, except with a turbo and it was 2 ltrs.

is there anyone who can verify or deny if these are the same family engines, which would most probably mate to my box.

then i would chase up a half cut.

if i have no chance with this engine, what is the cheapest half cut of a direct bolt in engine?

ok, just serviced a citroen xantia turbo ct, when i popped the hood the engine looked very similar to the 1.8 8v 306 engine, except with a turbo and it was 2 ltrs.

is there anyone who can verify or deny if these are the same family engines, which would most probably mate to my box.

then i would chase up a half cut.

if i have no chance with this engine, what is the cheapest half cut of a direct bolt in engine?
    i'm pretty sure with the xantia being the citroen cousin of the 406, these are an XU series engine, and a similiar donk to that of which was in the turbo 406 in europe, therefore i'm almost certain that this engine with a little effort would bolt pretty much straight in, even the engine mounts should be similiar if not the same, as it "should" be the same block, as the engine your brother pulled out of it.

stock standard these engines in europe pulled 155hp, but i wouldn't be suprised if you could get closer to 200 out of it

Tadpole

sounds like thats the one to go for then.

i'll check out the parts locator, but does anyone on aussiefrogs have their hands on one of these they want to sell?

Thread Information