Speedo Cable
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Speedo Cable

Default Speedo Cable

My Speedo cable has decided to stop working just so during Double demerits its just that bit harder to do the speed limit. So does anyone have any idea how long it takes to replace it. Ive heard about 15 minutes. Its an S1. Also anyone know how its done??

Advertisement

Cam
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Cam,

Pop this on the Peugeot forum. The reason being there was someone recently who had one go, hyad problems finding one and somehow ended up with 2 so that may solve one problem. I think there may have been a discussion on fitting it also.
    Suggest doing a search on'speedo cable' and see what pops up.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by cam85
    My Speedo cable has decided to stop working just so during Double demerits its just that bit harder to do the speed limit. So does anyone have any idea how long it takes to replace it. Ive heard about 15 minutes. Its an S1. Also anyone know how its done??

Cam
    Cam

It's a straightforward job to replace the cable. It's interesting that you say the cable has stopped ... usually what happens is that the inner cable sticks in the cable sheath causing the speedo pointer to jump around. It is caused by lack of lubrication and can often be fixed by withdrawing the cable, oiling and reinserting. Exception would be where the inner cable has become unwound..

A cable that stops completely may be broken internally - that is possible though most unusual. First I suggest you check to see if the cable is still in place at the gearbox end because with the 205s, the cable sheath is held in place with a tapered rubber 'pin'. To find the cable, check the firewall into the engine compartment in front of the speedo, locate the cable then follow it down towards the LHS of the car and you will see the socket where it is [still?] located. It may be that a new rubber pin is needed.

If the cable is sticking, as I said above it may be withdrawn, oiled and replaced. If you are going to do that, although it may be a little messy, I would work from under the car to withdraw the inner cable and re-oil. This way would avoid having to take the dash apart and remove the speedo to access the cable [from above].

Finally if you need to replace the cable it is easy enough though there are [mostly space] issues with removing the instrument panel to access the top push-on connection to the speedo, then withdrawing the whole cable through the firewall and then ensuring that the new cable is correctly fitted through the rubber grommet in the firewall, as well as properly fixed at both ends.

It would take more than 15 minutes mainly because you have to take out the instrument cluster. I suggest you get a Haynes manual to give you complete directions.

Denis

If the
    Last edited by Denis; 27th December 2004 at 03:34 PM.

Thread Information