Anyone know about odometers?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Anyone know about odometers?

Hi, the odometer on my 505GTi (part # PJ820) spins on both ends, ie. 100,000's spins at the same rate as 1/10ths of kms.
    I'm having trouble (still) fixing it, or finding another that is sure to work properly, so I've decided to attempt to repair it myself.

I've disassembled the speedo and everything appears to be ok, apart from some excess wear in one of the little holes that house the shaft that goes through the middle of the gears.
    My question is, is this the only likely thing causing the problem, or is there something less obvious that could be the cause?

Advertisement

Quite a while ago I read an old, old post by Dave McBean, he was saying the worn hole was repairable by gluing some plastic in there. Unfortunately, I can't find this thread again and can't remember if he said anything about other possible causes for the problem...

Wondering if Dave, or any other tinkerers might be able to fill me in?

Also, it would seem to be easier to melt the plastic with a hot knife to make the hole smaller again (instead of gluing extra plastic in there)... any reason why this would be a problem?
    White 505Gti just about fitted with XN & 5 Speed.

"We have enslaved the rest of animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form."
    William Ralph Inge

Default Same problem

I have the identical problem with my SII 505.
    I was thinking of using a bronze or brass shim/tube over the counter shaft, drilling out the plastic first. This at both ends.
    If you just melt the plastic you may well have the same thing happen again very soon.
    I have seen a paperclip passed through the worn side of the hole to space the shaft back into the right position, (might work????)

"Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

The drilling and shimming sounds like the ideal long-term fix Gamma, though I'm sure the paper clip will keep it spinning for many years (if indeed this is the problem). At the moment I've just melted it and put it all back together to test if it works.
    Got it all back in and the battery was flat. Again. So yet to be tested.

Must say the whole instrument cluster went back together far easier than it came apart. I'm sure it'll be a lot quicker job when I go back in to install the paper-clip!
    White 505Gti just about fitted with XN & 5 Speed.

"We have enslaved the rest of animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form."
    William Ralph Inge

Thread Information