205 Heater fan - how to re-lube?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 205 Heater fan - how to re-lube?

Hi,

My heater blower (fan) hasn't worked since i got my s2 GTI 6 months ago, and after the last scary steam-up situation, i decide its time to fix!

Unscrewed the fan and connected it to the battery, worked fine, a bit noisy (dry scraping sounding) though.

I used a bit of switch cleaner on the connections and it has quietened the noise down. The problem i'm having is that the fan wont start spinning unless i give it a little encouragement by hand...
    I pulled lots of dead leaves and crap out of the motor and i reckon its probably just a bit dry.

Advertisement

I'd like to try and re-lube the bearings (if its possible) to see if this would reduce the friction enough to allow the fan to get going by itself. Is this something that a bit of WD40 would do or do i need to dismantle (and if so how) the motor and grease bearings etc.

If i'm on the wrong track with this thinking, i'd appreciate any ideas.

The speed control unit on the dash works fine once the fan is spinning so i think the control unit is probably ok, and i've also fitted a new battery so it should be getting enough voltage (i think i'll check the output voltage on the connector block to see what it is giving out).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Cheers
    Dave

I had similar trouble with my fan motor a few months ago, it was really getting to me. Since I was about to go on a weeks holiday I decided to pull it out and have a look.

Since the motor is effectively 'pointing up' all the leaves and junk fall into the important bits and clog it up. Top design there guys

I had to remove the plastic impeller to get at it properly though. Unfortunately I didn't take a photo of it in bits My car is a series 3 but I am assuming it is similar

The metal clip at the top of the shaft sort of untwists and pulls off (with substantial force... be careful not to break it ), then the impeller does too. then you will find even more leaves, twigs, cat fur(?) and other junk that shouldn't be there, clogging the works up. Especially decaying foam from the rest of the air system

Much grit and dirt got around the bearing at the bottom, and although the brushes themselves were OK (after removing grit, taking clear not to ash the grease out there was substantial corrosion of the motor shaft. This I cleaned up with some 1200 and then a bit of silicone grease. The bearings themselves are not of a type that lends themselves to easy repacking of grease, but seemed to me smooth running themselves. I suspect the problems were mainly the trapped gunk and corrosion.

Careful re-assembly then yielded a quiet smooth fan with lots of air out Coincidentally, I ended up pulling out the rest of the dash to change the bits of foam, fix some squeaks, and change some earth connectors.

I didn't end up going on holiday, after all.
    "You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles... Radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." - Albert Einstein

Xantia Activa CT - Chock full of upsy-downsy goodness!

Tadpole

Hi Whitegoshawk,

Thats exactly the info i was looking for, thanks so much....

I'm having trouble getting the plastic impeller (fan) off the shaft, the clip came off without too much drama, but the shaft is pretty coroded and the impeller isn't budging (and it seems pretty fragile) - how did you get yours off?

Thanks again.
    Cheers
    Dave

Mine had what looks like cat hair in it too? Weird?

Try soaking it in Kero; it's what we all used to use before someone decided to call it WD40 It might take a few hours bur it should get there. Option #2 is Dieseline.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Tadpole

Hi Alan,

You must be online now, that was quick!

I've just got the plastic impeller off, the next question i have is how do you actually "split" the motor shell so you can clean up the shaft? or is there something i've missed?

Not sure if you know about the 205 fan Alan, but thanks for the above tip.

Cheers
    Dave

I don't know the actual motor but usually there's a way to dismantle any of them.
    The Froggys have a habit of rivetting them together. This can often be by putting slots in the end and having matching pieces on the outer casing passing through the slots and then kind of burred to hold into position.
    If it's one of those, tap the burrs in towards the area they were burred out from; whatever you do, don't grind or drill them off.
    Two problems you will find will be how to hold the brushes to reassemble and usually they go for a small ball race at the front and a phosphur bronze bush at the rear. Getting a corroded shaft through a bush or bearing is often a great feat requiring as much luck as skill. I'd be inclined to try to soften the crap and wash out as best I could and then oil from the outside allowing it to soak in before recommissioning before I'd use too much force on a small motor.
    If you do find a problem holding brushes off the commutator, try drilling a very small hole in the correct position in the end and use a straightened paper clip to hold the brush whilst reassembling and then removing it once the end caps have been at least partially refitted.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Tadpole

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the post, you're pretty much spot on about the 205 fan motor...
    Gonna have a crack at taking it appart this week...

Thanks again.

Cheers
    Dave

Thread Information