BX Steering
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: BX Steering

VIP Sponsor

Default BX Steering

I have a Citroen BX 19 TRI which I bought as a parts car but have decided to give it a try in some autocrosses and club level motorsport. It acually runs very well but has some issues including a tendency for the steering to shudder when turning the wheel with the car stationary.
    Ideas, anyone?
    Graham

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    I have a Citroen BX 19 TRI which I bought as a parts car but have decided to give it a try in some autocrosses and club level motorsport. It acually runs very well but has some issues including a tendency for the steering to shudder when turning the wheel with the car stationary.
    Ideas, anyone?
    Graham

You've either got problems with the flow diverter which is often cured by cleaning out (particularly the internal filters) or a flat accumulator sphere. Does the accumulator tick a lot?

If the steering is heavier one way or the other, that's usually due to the pinion seals leaking internally. Not a steering system prone to problems usually though.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    You've either got problems with the flow diverter which is often cured by cleaning out (particularly the internal filters) or a flat accumulator sphere. Does the accumulator tick a lot?

If the steering is heavier one way or the other, that's usually due to the pinion seals leaking internally. Not a steering system prone to problems usually though.

Alan S
    Does the accumulator make that rattling sound?
    I thought that was the pump, I have a bit to learn about these cars!
    Whatever it is it only comes in infrequently.
    The steering sympton is identical to a mates 505 SRD so it might not be a Citroen type problem.

Graham

Fellow Frogger!

When I still had my BX, I once experienced the same thing at the same time that one of the water hoses split near the hydraulic pump. This caused the belt to slip and make the power steering sometimes very heavy, then light.
    Alan (as usual) pointed me in the right direction. The water leak was innitially only very slight and almost impossible to see.

It is a Cit problem as the steering operates from the central hydraulic system.

The pumps when they get worn can sound a bit "sewing machine" but as you look straight down the front of the car between the block and radiator on the RHS directly below the elbow in the top hose, you'll see the accumulator sphere. If it's just going 'bbrrrrrrr.......tick' every 30 seconds or more, it should be OK. It is actually an "accumulator" of pressure as a safeguard against sudden pressure loss and it also acts as a buffer, so if it's flat, instead of it buffering the cycles of the pump, they just go straight into the system.
    As a safeguard, if you were to take the F/D & P/R off the car and wash in petrol & blow out clean and have the accumulator tested while the lot's out. It would also pay to grab a brass drift and seat the two balls inside the P/R (pressure regulator) at the same time.
    We did all this on my sons Series one 16V and the steering is as smooth as silk.

Alan S

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    It is a Cit problem as the steering operates from the central hydraulic system.

The pumps when they get worn can sound a bit "sewing machine" but as you look straight down the front of the car between the block and radiator on the RHS directly below the elbow in the top hose, you'll see the accumulator sphere. If it's just going 'bbrrrrrrr.......tick' every 30 seconds or more, it should be OK. It is actually an "accumulator" of pressure as a safeguard against sudden pressure loss and it also acts as a buffer, so if it's flat, instead of it buffering the cycles of the pump, they just go straight into the system.
    As a safeguard, if you were to take the F/D & P/R off the car and wash in petrol & blow out clean and have the accumulator tested while the lot's out. It would also pay to grab a brass drift and seat the two balls inside the P/R (pressure regulator) at the same time.
    We did all this on my sons Series one 16V and the steering is as smooth as silk.

Alan S

The accumulator is making the right noises at the right time and the belt isn't slipping.
    Where do I Find the P/R and F/D?
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    The accumulator is making the right noises at the right time and the belt isn't slipping.
    Where do I Find the P/R and F/D?
    Graham
    "as you look straight down the front of the car between the block and radiator on the RHS directly below the elbow in the top hose, you'll see the accumulator sphere."

The accumulator is connected to the pressure regulator and the F/D (Flow diverter) is the other one near it.
    If you remove them, be sure that you clearly mark the pipes. Otherwise, if you do as most do and look and say "how could ANYONE get those mixed up" you'll end up like we did and several others.....................finding out!!
    Then you really get some weird symptoms.

Alan S

P.S. Have you done an LHM change and cleaned the filters in the tank?
    This should help with the LHM:-

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/snippets/lhm_story.htm
    Last edited by Alan S; 18th December 2004 at 11:33 AM. Reason: PS added

Thread Information