205, one fan or two ??
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 205, one fan or two ??

I’ve recently been doing some fiddling around with my car and only just noticed there is only one radiator fan in my 205... is this normal or should there be two ?? There is quite clearly place for the second fan, however my car only has one. It's never run hot as such, I’m just wondering however as to wether there should be 2 fans, and wether there will be any long term issues with only running one… I’m guessing I’ve answered the second part though as it doesn’t run hot, at least not hot enough for the light to come on… I actually wouldn’t know how hot it is running as quite simply there is no temperature gauge ….

That comes to my second question. Is it worth my time, and how much effort would it take to either

a) replace my instruments with that out of a 205 GTI ? this would not only give me a temerature gauge it would also give me an oil guage and all be it an automatic a tachometre

or

Advertisement

b) how hard would it be/is it possible to get some aftermarket, temerature and oil gauges and what would I need to wire it up... quite simply put, who makes an instrument cluster that only has lights ???
    Last edited by orestes; 12th December 2004 at 07:48 PM.

AC models have two fans, thus all 1.9L GTI models in Australia.

You can swap clusters easily. All the wires will probably be there. For instance, in 1.9L GTi's they even have the wire and lamp for a choke!

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    AC models have two fans, thus all 1.9L GTI models in Australia.

You can swap clusters easily. All the wires will probably be there. For instance, in 1.9L GTi's they even have the wire and lamp for a choke!
    with changing clusters would it affect anything, i.e odometre, speedo (apart from the fact that it would probably end up saying my car could go faster then what it actually does would it be acurate)?? or would it be as simple as taking the wiring and rewiring it into the replacment instruments ??

also, is it worth my time finding a second fan, due to diffrences in australian VS european temeratures (which are cooler most of the time)?? i tend to find that after a long drive and once the cars been siting turned off for a while the thermo fan will kick in for quite some time, or is this normal ??
    Last edited by orestes; 12th December 2004 at 10:56 PM.

Thread Information