Xsara peformance
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Xsara peformance

I own a 1998 xsara 1.8i 16V, and find that although it has a bit of bottom end zing, the peformance from 3000rpm onwards is quite poor. The only thing i have tryed is fitting a high flow air filter by removing the panel filter out of the box and disconecting the hose from the intake and adapting the filter onto the hose. I found this gave a little more response and made alot more noise, but still did nothing for the top end, so i eventually replaced the original panel filter. Does anyone know of some easy ways to get more power (somthing arround 110-120kw?)

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by paul21
    Does anyone know of some easy ways to get more power (somthing arround 110-120kw?)
    I'm not too sure which 1.8i you have, but most PSA 1.8's are greedy on fuel and dont give too much in return. If you wanted more power you should / should have considered :

1. Swap it for the Xsara Coupe VTS 2.0i (124kW)
    2. Tuned length extractors, headwork, hotter cams, better induction, fuelling blah blah blah

you have to remember it was hard enough for Citroen to get 120kw out of the 2 litre XU10J4RS. Your target power per litre is comparable to the Gti180 which is aided by some sophisticated management.

good luck. But for the money required you could sell your car and buy a mk2 VTS Coupe which has larger drive shafts - tougher drivetrain, passive rear steer and some good brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by XsaraVTS
    I'm not too sure which 1.8i you have, but most PSA 1.8's are greedy on fuel and dont give too much in return. If you wanted more power you should / should have considered :

1. Swap it for the Xsara Coupe VTS 2.0i (124kW)
    2. Tuned length extractors, headwork, hotter cams, better induction, fuelling blah blah blah

you have to remember it was hard enough for Citroen to get 120kw out of the 2 litre XU10J4RS. Your target power per litre is comparable to the Gti180 which is aided by some sophisticated management.

good luck. But for the money required you could sell your car and buy a mk2 VTS Coupe which has larger drive shafts - tougher drivetrain, passive rear steer and some good brakes.

quickest way for instant power gain would be to fit the engine out of the VTS as stated here, correct me if im wrong but isn't it the same engine as that from the GTI6 or is that the VTR ?

either way the GTI6 engine should fit as well as it's allready in certain Xsara models, and you won't have the dreaded GTI6 issue of not being able to do u turns
    Last edited by orestes; 13th December 2004 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    quickest qway for instant power gain would be ti fit the engine out of the VTS as stated here, correct me if im wrong but isn't it the same engine as that from the GTI6 or is that the VTR ?
    Yes it is the same engine as the GTi6, mated with 5 speed gearbox instead of a 6 speed box.

Troy.

You would also have to look at tweaking the suspension as well, the 1.8 16V has a considerably softer suspension setup than the VTS.

I would be inclined to agree with XsaraVTS, selling the 1.8 and going for a VTS is probably your best bet.

Troy.

what i've wonderd with the VTS, is wether fiting the 6 speed would cause the same issues as in the GTI6... i'd asume it wouldn't be a dificult swap, but is there more room in a Xsara to avoid the dreaded turning circle issue... i'd be assuming there would be as it least from looks the xsara is a biger car.... i'm assuming here again, but with the citroens hydropneumatic suspension, i'd be thinking the xsara would have better ride and handeling characteristics then the GTI-6... so i would think a 6 speed VTS would be a very nice car... has anyone ever done this or thought about this with a Xsara ??
    Last edited by orestes; 13th December 2004 at 03:46 PM.

Orestes - Xsaras have springs

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    The xsara has springs
    so much for my thoughts abut citroens and h-pneumatics ... and you call a Xsara a citroen ??... what happend to h-pneumatics ?? BAH!... it also shows my clear lack of intrest in citroens i guess... back to my thoughts of a hot MI16 or BX, which i might actually be able to afford one day
    Last edited by orestes; 13th December 2004 at 03:52 PM.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    you won't have the dreaded GTI6 issue of not being able to do u turns

i think you better spend some time in a GTI-6

yes they have a limited turning circle one way but the point that it is an issue is crap

it will make a u turn in about the space as a commodore will to the right

left turns are smaller however

someone please offer this bloke a GTi-6 to take for a drive so he can finally have a taste of one
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Anything C5 and bigger will continue to use the good ol' stuff, but anything small such as C1-4, now uses pug-like suspension, which is not a bad thing anyway.

Dave

Don't know why Citroen didn't go for the 6 speed in the Xsara. Maybe it doesn't fit. Anybody have any ideas?

Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    Don't know why Citroen didn't go for the 6 speed in the Xsara. Maybe it doesn't fit. Anybody have any ideas?

Troy.
    hmmm.... the Xsara WRC is a 6 speed... there again its a completly diffrent box

Edit: i was also under the impresion you could also get a 6 speed dog box, that was much smaller then the the GTI-6 box from peugeot sport that would fit the GTI-6 and would asume the Xsara VTS
    Last edited by orestes; 13th December 2004 at 05:15 PM.

Tadpole

does anyone know of anywhere in melbourne that can modify citroens?

Quote Originally Posted by paul21
    does anyone know of anywhere in melbourne that can modify citroens?
    If you manage to get 120kw out of the 1760cm3 engine it would become quite undrivable, you would need more compression - need new pistons, an alloy intake manifold, programmable injection, it would be much more economical to trade in your car on a 2L variant, or find a crashed 2L and swap the engine.

Dave

Tadpole

but will the 124kw vts engine be too much for the transmission/drive shaft?

Odds are if you find a wreck with an engine you can grab those goodies aswell.

Dave

Thread Information