Valve stem seal replacement
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Valve stem seal replacement

My daughters feb 89 build BX19TRI (DKZ motor) is using an excess of oil. As it blows smoke at start up after sitting overnight and as the compression comes up OK (approx 130 psi across the board) I am hoping it is valve stem seals. Is it possible to replace these without removing the head by removing the cam, presurizing the combustion chambers and then compressing the valve springs to remove the springs and then replace seals? Any likely problems or issues to be addressed? I would assume that as the cam belt has to be removed that it would be a good time to replace it, any other jobs that should be done at the same time?
    Thanks for any help in advance.

Advertisement

Posted this for a Pug owner the other day.
    Overseas it's apparently (or was) a fairly common job it just needed a couple of fairly inexpensive tools to do the job but in comparison with the cost of a set of headbolts and a gasket set, they should be almost insignificant.
    I have a feeling that I have seen the valve lifter at SuperCheap and Repco.
    I know some also reckon that the use of "rope" through the plug holes instead of air is supposedly better according to those who use that system overseas but I can't comment on that never having done the job.

http://www.page.sannet.ne.jp/moribayashi/bxvstem.html

Hope that explains it for you.
    It's not all that uncommon a problem on BX 8 valve engines. According to those in the know, the use of too heavy an oil on cars doing a lot of short runs is the major cause.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts

Yep, the valve spring compressor used for the 'head on' job looks like a small bearing puller, with two legs that hook under the spring, and a bit that presses on the spring cap. They are pretty awkward to use, but are cheap, and they do the job...

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

how far will the valve drop with the piston at TDC ??

i know in the 604 it won't drop very far now with the ovlov pistons in it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Tadpole

Thanks for your replies, it seems like it should be an ok job. Glad plenty of pics in your link Alan as my Japanese is non-existent - nice spring compressor.

I once contacted Morobayashi about whether he was intending doing an English interpretation on his site as Yohsuhke did with his but he had no intentions at that stage. He did however offer to answer any questions directly that anyone may have.
    I know there are translation sites around, but apparently it's a mammoth job as Japanese and Engrish are two very different languages and even efforts I've seen to translate have been pretty ordinary, however having said that, this guy seemed to be able to write extremely fluent English so I'd imagine he'd be worth a call if necessary.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Tadpole

Thanks Alan, but the photo's should be enough. Great resource to know about though. Got on to seals at $3.10 each (dealer $5.50) so now just get on with the job. Belt not quite up for replacement but I think I will do it anyway. Thanks Greals.

Thread Information