Tuning the HDi
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Tuning the HDi

Default Tuning the HDi

apart from the ubiquitous tuning box/chip upgrade and intercooler kit, what else can be done to tune the Pug HDi 90? Are there are tricks, cheats or tweaks worth knowing about?

Cheers,

The Pom.

Advertisement

What no Lotus Carlton?

Just looked through your list of cars Pom.....why haven't you had a hot Carlton?? I remember reading a few articles on them and they were good...went like stink and handled too.......

I have only experience with petrol turbos(not french either, blue and yellow flag type, Sa**)
    I have a few friends here in Aus with Turbo Deisel 4wd vehicles, and they all swear by the largest intercooler you can get and more boost, usually with larger turbo.

If you are on a budget, the most cost effective way to up boost is to have your turbo reworked, larger compressor wheels and turbine, in your old housing eliminating the need to alter the fittings.

Cheers HKP. Could never afford an LC but had come close a couple of times to getting a 3000 GSi 24v.

I guess an intercooler is a good thing to do then.

Anyone tried water injection on their pug, or an intercooler spray?

The Pom.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pom
    Cheers HKP. Could never afford an LC but had come close a couple of times to getting a 3000 GSi 24v.

I guess an intercooler is a good thing to do then.

Anyone tried water injection on their pug, or an intercooler spray?

The Pom.
    Intercooler spray is for riceboys, if you want good reliable intercooling fit a water to air type with a front mounted water radiator. Remember that an intercooler is really a temperature soak it evens out spikes, when on high boost/throttle the temperature of the intercooler will rise to lower the temperature spike on the charge, generally the spike does not last long and so the less hot air passing through the intercooler following the charge will also help remove heat from the intercooler by picking some of it up. (this is particularly the case for petrol motors as the temps are muuuuch higher) if you go the water spray route, you need a system of using the water after high boost situations to cool the cooler to stop the cooler lower boost picking up the latent heat. Water to air chilling is the better method, look at the boost levels and power outputs of marine TD's they all use water to air.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Cheers Cruiserman - that's given me some food for thought.

The Pom.

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserman
    Intercooler spray is for riceboys, if you want good reliable intercooling fit a water to air type with a front mounted water radiator. if you go the water spray route, you need a system of using the water after high boost situations to cool the cooler to stop the cooler lower boost picking up the latent heat. Water to air chilling is the better method, look at the boost levels and power outputs of marine TD's they all use water to air.
    I see your point, but dont agree with "intercooler spray is for riceboys"; Why would they use it on WRC and GrpN Rally cars if it wasn't efficient? One of the private entry GTiR Nissan's we worked on had this spray, and even at crusing pase it helped keep intake temps down to 25"c, and when driven hard never went above 28"c. Amitedly this was with a better (but not bigger) front mounted air-to-air intercooler. But it works well. MRT sell an aftermarket kit which also works well. True ricers do use them, but that dosn't mean it dosn't work. Water to air intercooling is unpopular, mainly because of the extra weight, however for a road car is a very good suggestion. We found if you use a product called Wetter Water (and no coolant) mixed with just regualr tap water worked very well on a street driven Toyota GT4 with 200Hp ATW.

As for getting more power from a TD/HDi, are the turbos similar to petrol versions, if so could a larger diameter (less restrictive) exhaust system allow for quicker spooling of the turbo? - Chris
    ... ptui!

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by The Pom
    apart from the ubiquitous tuning box/chip upgrade and intercooler kit, what else can be done to tune the Pug HDi 90? Are there are tricks, cheats or tweaks worth knowing about?

Cheers,

The Pom.

hmmmm.... problem... the Hdi 90 "soft blown" model is a bit of problem for tuning without retro fitting the whole injection system... this model has semiens SID801 or 803 which I have to say has more defence and fail safe's than a nuke missile compound... oh yeah.. they tend to eat injector's and high pressure pumps even in standard form so tuning the existing system is a bit risky... My best advise would be to find a 406 DW10 EDC bosch system including the tank lift pump as your model don't use one...

Good lucK Lee.

P.S I've heard in europe there is a 206 Hdi running around with 186ps!!!!!
    "The anti-christ has been with us for a long time, he mean's business..... BIG business"

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    I see your point, but dont agree with "intercooler spray is for riceboys"; Chris
    Well set up with understanding it will certainly help but the riceboy comment reflects the fact that for the most part it is there for bragging rights. The spray needs to come on just after a high boost situation to lower the cooler temperature, some I have seen run continuously, and rank right up there with shopping trolley wings.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserman
    , some I have seen run continuously, and rank right up there with shopping trolley wings.
    Agree... the MRT unit is user or computer defined (boost or inlet temp controlled active); I don't mind shopping trolley wings, they make a good picnic table when your on the side of the road waiting for your turn to be ETA inspected . - Chris
    ... ptui!

Thread Information