Unusually high idle???? HELP!!!
  • Register
  • Help
    Ants

Icon5 Unusually high idle???? HELP!!!

hey guys,

i got a 1998 pug 306 XSi, and i went to a mates house just before. when i was driving there the car was as normal, however when i left, i started it up and was driving along, when i noticed the revs were still quite high when i was changing gears, when i stopped at the traffic light, it was idling at like 2000rpm or so...and took around 10 seconds before it started to decrease, once i drove on when the lights changed, the revs were keeping up again....and when i stopped again, same thing happened?

can anyone diagnose this problem?????

cheers

Anthony

Advertisement
    Last edited by Ants; 2nd December 2004 at 05:03 PM.

Best guess is a vacuum hose has split or fallen off... could be one of a thousand of those in there...

Are the brakes harder to operate? If so, then your vacuum line to the booster is the problem.

Ants

didnt seem to notice any braking difference at all...

just took it for a drive again before, it wasnt too bad.....seemed better, not idling as high as 2000 as before, but still higher than normal...

Open the bonnet and fire up the engine...

Then just wiggle the various hoses about the place and note whether any of them make a difference to engine speed. Look for a split near a fitting or junction in a hose.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

could bethe thing hanging off the throttle body causing dramas

when was it last serviced ?
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

i have a bit of heater hose on the vaccuum hose on the oil filler cap,the thick one that goes down to the lower inlet hose[oops sorry i have a 205 ,yours is different]but the theory is still the same in my problem.
    my problem is that im waiting on a proper moulded hose to come in and used a bit of heater hose[temporarily only] as the old one had split and was dropping the revs all the time.now when this heater hose gets warm it kinks as its not the right shape,when this happens the revs go up and down.
    what im getting at is a tiny hole or crack in any vacuum hoses can play havoc with the idle.
    open up the bonnet and with a torch or best in full sunlight ,check all hoses for splits ,holes,cracks and loose clips,feel them and see how spongy or brittle they feel,change any suspect or damaged hose.
    get someone to check it out if you dont feel confident-BAZZ

Ants

ok for some really weird reason...its idling fine now

im like totally baffled, but yeah, it last had a service around 10000ks ago, and im booking it in for another before xmas, cos its saying that it needs one (my 70,000 service)

Default Idle

Don't know if this helps, but my Mi16 had the exact same problem. It turned out to be the engine temp sensor plug (the one for the ECU, not the dash). All but destroyed by heat, oil and no doubt a bit of salty air, the engine used to idle perfectly and then without warning jump up to 1900-2000rpm. Plug replaced and the problem disappeared. Unfortunately so did the Mi16 when my little brother ran it into a Commondore two days later......

Thread Information