Ya wouldn't paint the dunny in this stuff.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Ya wouldn't paint the dunny in this stuff.

I need to do a bit of fancy painting on one of the cars and it seems Mr Cit has found a way to cost an arm & leg in this department.
    Many colours aren't available in Acrylic but only in 2 pack which is a drama of mega proportions not only because it's a shit of a stuff to use, but because you just might accidentally die in the process and as far as I am aware, you can paint a panel but not touch one, need to use special undercoats and primers as awell as thinners.
    I asked a "friend" of my sons who is a panel/painter if I could get the paint mixed off him and I was promptly quoted $140 a litre; thieving toerag!! I have seen it advertised at SuperCheap but only in non tinted colours for around $120 a 4 litre can. I could live with that but as I reckon I may need a couple of litres, as well as the other bits and bobs, I could be looking at around $500 to DIY and when asked about prices to get them to do it, I got the impression that the Hallelujah Chorus needed to be sung in the background while he worked out a price so I wouldn't be surprised when he presented it to me.

Anyone had any quotes on this two pack stuff of late and if so what brand and what kind of prices?

Alan S

Advertisement
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

That 205 I had painted recently was acrylic, but the pricing was very interesting. I was quoted $2K to paint the front end, engine bay etc. They then had trouble matching the paint with the rest of the car and suggested a full respray would be easier/better. The cash price to paint the rest of the car was $800.

So when I picked it up, I paid $2K at the desk, then $800 down at the spray booth.

So then I enquired on cash price to repaint my badly peeling Patrol. Just $1200 for the lot.

Cash still talks!

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I was quoted a while ago $1700 to repaint a Fuego I had in 2 pak metallic, assuming I did all the trim removal etc. this included them removing a few dents and stripping the bonnet and roof. Wouldnt have expected an amazing job for that money, but it still seems pretty good if you dont need PERFECT.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

From what I've been told from 4 different sources is that the clours apparently are originally 2 pack and the base they start with is two pack and is unobtainable in acrylic.
    It sounds looney tunes to me too but everybody I speak to in the trade either painters or paint shop owners who do the mixing all tell the same story.
    The TZi is the one that gets me; it's just a plain old common garden variety silver; nothing special but again, all it can be done in is 2 pack due to the base colour only being available in this crap. The point is, have you ever seen a silver car that wasn't perfectly matched? bloody hideous so you got no choice.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Default paint

i may be able to shed some light. probably not.

if your matching colour for a panel, the same colour in acrylic will end up a different colour in 2pac. acrylic paint dries (petrochemical evaporation) and 2pac is more so a chemical reaction, ie; better for the enviroment. i dont know for sure as im not a spray painter but from whats been said and what it think i know thats my take on it.

second thing is, i once got told you can paint enamel over acrylic but not acrylic over enamel. the latter will cause the acrylic paint to shrink and crack. why i dont know. this was the old style enamel "gloss off the gun" paint. i can only guess its to do with chemical reaction. maybe its the same with 2pac paint.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Alan,

mate forget about 2pack. It the most noxious toxic crap to use. You need a air-fed space suit to paint it. the old filter masks are no good, it's gets absorbed by your skin and badly attacks the whites of your eyes.

Just ask around about spraying 2pack on some other boards and you'll see a lot of poeple simply refuse to use it outright. You certainly wouldn't go spraying around your kids & neighbours even if you didn't care about your own health.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information